Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV (/showthread.php?tid=74992)

- sraue - 2010-06-10

indianolajohn Wrote:i 2nd the motion for the apple tv distro

all Stephan is saying is that he is building it from the kernel up specifically
for 1 platform

I think all he needs is some specifics on exactly what drivers need to be included on the apple tv distro and how to prepare the boot image

you are right,

as i say, i am very busy in the moment to collect and study some howtos. so it would be nice if i have an working "howto" how to install the bootloader (as i have seen there are more then one bootloader that can be used) and prepare the image to boot on appletv. the first time i must also boot an "normal" distro to get some logs and the loaded drivers. the rest i will do.
it would be great for me - and for you all - if OpenELEC.tv supports AppleTV as another platform ;-)

(FYI: here on an Zotac Dualcore Atom OpenELEC.tv uses 0.5-4% CPU (idle) and 100-150MB RAM and it starts in 10sec from power on)

- tuckbodi - 2010-06-10

feikenberg Wrote:Happened to me with a 4 GB stick, switched to a 8GB stick and everything is working now.

Yeah, ditto for me as well. My 4gb DataTraveler just didn't quite make it but my 6gb mini-Passport did. And another plus, my SMB is working again! Big Grin Thank you again Sam, pin87a and of course Davilla.

Some questions for those in the know:
1) Since the nightlies are turned back on, any chance of using one of them? I'd love to see how DDS fanart/etc. rocks on this thing.
2) BootMenu - it's been asked in another thread, and the answer by you Sam was it was not necessary. What did you mean by that? Can we easily switch back and forth to the ATV OS?
3) From someone who doesn't know diddly about Linux, how do we update the XBMC version? One of the cool features of the ATV OS XBMC, was Launcher, which allowed a menu to automatically update to the nightlies. Is a mechanism to easily upgrade XBMC and the CrystalHD drivers being thought of?

- JDizzy - 2010-06-10

tuckbodi Wrote:Yeah, ditto for me as well. My 4gb DataTraveler just didn't quite make it but my 6gb mini-Passport did. And another plus, my SMB is working again! Big Grin Thank you again Sam, pin87a and of course Davilla.

Question, I have Sam's version pretty well dialed in (although an occasional crash when entering the Movie area). Does having it little less make much of a difference? (although I would like the auto-reboot for the above condition).

tuckbodi Wrote:One of the cool features of the ATV OS XBMC, was Launcher, which allowed a menu to automatically update to the nightlies. Is a mechanism to easily upgrade XBMC and the CrystalHD drivers being thought of?

I though Sam said he was working on including those 2 options in a later release.

I would be happy if there was a way to have the databases, thumbs, config, etc., saved somewhere that doesn't get written over every time you upgrade..... I have a very slow (satellite) connection that is metered (200MB per day), so it takes a while (a few days) to get everything back to 'normal'.
I actually go and download the images from a computer elsewhere.
No DSL or cable available where I live (yet).

- tuckbodi - 2010-06-10

JDizzy Wrote:Question, I have Sam's version pretty well dialed in (although an occasional crash when entering the Movie area). Does having it little less make much of a difference? (although I would like the auto-reboot for the above condition).

I think it's a little faster starting up movies although I'm accessing them from my other machine, so that may be the difference. The reboot is nice to have now.

JDizzy Wrote:I though Sam said he was working on including those 2 options in a later release.

Just threw it out there wondering if others were thinking of doing it as well.

JDizzy Wrote:I would be happy if there was a way to have the databases, thumbs, config, etc., saved somewhere that doesn't get written over every time you upgrade..... I have a very slow (satellite) connection that is metered (200MB per day), so it takes a while (a few days) to get everything back to 'normal'.
I actually go and download the images from a computer elsewhere.
No DSL or cable available where I live (yet).

I used Ember Media Manager to put all that stuff (thumbs, fanart and metadata) right into each of the movies folders. Reading the stuff in anew takes 15-20 min per drive versus hours scanning it from the web. Plus, you do it once in EMM and clean it up, then it's always clean. And/or, you could always back up your userdata folder if you really wanted/needed to replace it every time.

- defiler - 2010-06-10

pin87a Wrote:Version 3 Uploaded. Big thanks to frumpy_uk, defiler, Angrenost, feikenberg and everyone else for helping get this network issue fixed once and for all.

Muh? Don't thank me - I just unRARed it and it ran. Excellent job!

Now I need to tar up my existing ATV drive and chuck it on my server so I can scrub it and toss the USB image on there. Will the USB image work just by DDing it to the internal PATA drive?

- wojo - 2010-06-10

defiler Wrote:Will the USB image work just by DDing it to the internal PATA drive?

You have to change boot device, instructions are few posts later Wink

- defiler - 2010-06-10

wojo Wrote:You have to change boot device, instructions are few posts later Wink

Cool - I can live with that. Sitting at work with an SSH session open on my ATV, dding the internal drive to my server. Gotta love PuTTY Smile

- legato23 - 2010-06-10

Booted the ATV this morning with my new 4GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro and the Pin87a's R3 image.
Excellent work! Even the network (static DHCP) is up and running.
Now I'm trying to connect to my windows server share (in a workgroup, not domain) with videos, but it won't connect. I need to enter username/password, but after filling in the credentials and trying to browse on SMB:// an error occurs.
I remember that in previous XBMC versions a default username and password could be entered somewhere in the settings, but I cannot find this anymore.
Anyone here who got succesfully connected with a windows share?

- frumpy_uk - 2010-06-10

legato23 Wrote:Booted the ATV this morning with my new 4GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro and the Pin87a's R3 image. Excellent work! Even the network (static DHCP) is up and running.
Now I'm trying to connect to my windows server share (in a workgroup, not domain) with videos, but I won't connect. I need to enter username/password, but after filling in the credentials and trying to browse on SMB:// an error occurs.
I rember that in previous XBMC versions a default username and password could be entered somewhere in the settings, but I cannot find this anymore.

I just posted such a question in the Linux forum : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=75395

Bear in mind that (at least with the mini image, not sure about Sam's full image) you have to install samba support :
Code:
sudo apt-get install smbfs smbclient

And you will need to create a folder under your home folder to mount the share to
Code:
mkdir ~/nas

- defiler - 2010-06-10

legato23 Wrote:I remember that in previous XBMC versions a default username and password could be entered somewhere in the settings, but I cannot find this anymore.

Well, I've not had to put in a username/password with recent versions of XBMC, and my server is set to xbox/xbox - still have the old mk1 XBox, see? Smile

Edit: And no, I've not had to add anything on top of Pin's image (or Sam's for that matter) for XBMC to see the share. I think you'd need to install SMB support if you wanted to mount a share at the command-line (I've had to do that with NFS to backup my ATV), but not within XBMC.

- Angrenost - 2010-06-10

Uhm now i cannot add Skins or nothing else,i can connect ATV via Terminal,Fugu or Cyberduck (Mac) but i have "permission denied" errors. Trying to change permissions to 777 or owner (wich is set as Root) using cmd+I but as usual: permission denied No
Is there a way to bypass or change this?

sound - ekb20b - 2010-06-10

got every thing running with version 3 of the IMG. SMBA is working everything is snappy.

The only problem is sound, tried every setting. when some movies starts you hear the music and background noises (cars wind music) fine but you can't hear a word of speech. some movies nothing at all. Subtitles show they are talking but nothing is heard beside background noise. Non-MKV's seem to be play fine (avi).

Here is the set-up ATV w/linx usb stick to boot (v3 img) hdmi to tv.

The files I'm play are MKV's off my Freenas server. I know files work file cause they play on my computer and XBMC on my Revo.

Anyone having this problem? It seems to be only my MKV's.

- defiler - 2010-06-10

ekb20b Wrote:The only problem is sound, tried every setting. when some movies starts you hear the music and background noises (cars wind music) fine but you can't hear a word of speech. some movies nothing at all. Subtitles show they are talking but nothing is heard beside background noise. Non-MKV's seem to be play fine (avi).

I'm guessing your TV can't figure out the 5.1 soundtrack. Check the audio settings in XBMC to make sure the receiver capabilities are set right (eg you may have Dolby Digital and DTS selected, but your TV can't handle DTS), or you may need to select the "downmix to stereo" option.

- legato23 - 2010-06-10

defiler Wrote:Well, I've not had to put in a username/password with recent versions of XBMC, and my server is set to xbox/xbox - still have the old mk1 XBox, see? Smile

Edit: And no, I've not had to add anything on top of Pin's image (or Sam's for that matter) for XBMC to see the share. I think you'd need to install SMB support if you wanted to mount a share at the command-line (I've had to do that with NFS to backup my ATV), but not within XBMC.

I've changed the useraccount/password on my windows machine to xbox/xbox, but still can't connect from Pin87a R3 image to a windows share.
Which image do you use, Sam's or Pin87a's R3?

- defiler - 2010-06-10

legato23 Wrote:I've changed the useraccount/password on my windows machine to xbox/xbox, but still can't connect from Pin87a R3 image to a windows share.
Which image do you use, Sam's or Pin87a's R3?

I'm currently running Pin's R3, but both worked straight off.