Kodi Community Forum
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 (/showthread.php?tid=210987)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - wrxtasy - 2015-09-19

Get the WeTeK 4K Core if you want a simple dual boot Netflix HD / Android / OpenELEC box.

RE: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - nikc0069 - 2015-09-19

I saw that but I don't think it does HD audio does it?

RE: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - wrxtasy - 2015-09-19

Ask over in the the Wetek 4K Core thread.

RE: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - robbo430 - 2015-09-22

Hi wrxtasy,

Only just back testing after having to do an RMA on my first unit. I've tried your latest build 5.95.5.1 and everything seems quite stable and responsive, including the hardkernal remote. Unfortunately I'm not able to select 23.976, 29.97 or 59.94 refresh modes, only 24, 50 and 60. This also happens with the previous 5.95.5 and even the 5.0.8 23.976 fix build. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Rob

RE: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - wrxtasy - 2015-09-23

Yes rest assured you are still getting perfect video sync of 23.976, 29.97 and 59.94fps video, via manipulation of the HDMI clocks.
https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/commit/d8c8a643d07725bd1586412c750fe19188fd1ea2

I've just taken out some of the spoofed or faked video modes reported to Kodi as some of them were invalid. This in no way affects properly synced video playback, when you have Dynamic Refresh Rate switching in Kodi enabled.

If you .tar update the Stormtrooper Edition you will see they are back in there. Video sync will be identical.

RE: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - mrpj - 2015-10-01

Hi,

I`ve been researching for a cheap but yet nice small factory PC for running Kodi together with my HD Projector - that`s how I found out about the C1+.
It seems like the perfect fit - I just have a question regarding audio. As far as I can tell, there is only audio via HDMI or by buying the HifiShield.

Now since my Projector does not allow for spoofing through the audio I am a bit lost on how to extract the audio from the C1+.
I came up with these 3 solutions - but not sure what would work best with the C1+
a) Hifi Shield from Hardkernel
pro: Support from Hardkernel, works with Android(?)
cons: Just has Stereo out

b) HDMI audio extractor
pro: can spoof the HD audio - could be used with any game console to also extract audio, works with android
con: not sure if it works as advertised, only stereo(?)

c) cheap USB soundcard
pro: depending on the soundcard even 5.1 audio is possible
cons: does not work with android? - not so sure but couldn`t find a cheap one advertised to be working with android

What would you guys recommend on doing? Anything I`ve missed and maybe a better solution to the problem?

RE: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - noggin - 2015-10-01

(2015-10-01, 10:20)mrpj Wrote: b) HDMI audio extractor
pro: can spoof the HD audio - could be used with any game console to also extract audio, works with android
con: not sure if it works as advertised, only stereo(?)

Whilst HDMI can be a black art - there are multiple variants of HDMI Audio extractor available.

They vary in how they handle EDID (the protocol that allows a display to indicate what audio and video formats it supports to the source).

Some HDMI Audio extractors will only output PCM 2.0 or analogue stereo. But others have a switch that allows the EDID information between source and display to be modified by the extractor, to allow DD (and I think DTS) support to be flagged. This will then be extracted and output via the Toslink output. These variants usually have a 2.0/5.1 switch on the extractor.

However - this is NOT HD Audio (*)- this is Dolby Digital/DTS - which are the formats that can be carried over Toslink optical. You won't get multichannel PCM or DTS-HD/Dolby True HD support via these extractors - as there is no output format that will carry them (and they don't have the licences to decode, nor the 5.1/7.1 analogue audio outputs that would be required to carry decoded multichannel PCM or DTS-HD/Dolby True HD even if they could decode)

If you use an HDMI Audio extractor with 5.1 support you'll need to enable transcoding to Dolby Digital to cope with multichannel PCM (and multichannel FLAC, AAC etc.)

As I say - EDID and HDMI are slightly black arts and your mileage may vary - but you aren't always limited to 2.0 stereo with an HDMI audio extractor.

The huge benefit is that you don't need any OS-level support for audio output devices (like I2S or USB sound cards) on the OS or software you are running on your source.

(*)It may be you are confusing HD Audio with Multichannel Audio. Dolby Digital/DTS audio is not HD Audio - it is lossy compressed audio with some potential quality loss (whether you hear this is another matter). DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD (along with FLAC multichannel and PCM multichannel) audio is HD Audio (whether the relatively rare DTS-HD HRA high-quality lossy format is HD Audio is moot - you need kit compatible with DTS HD MA to listen to it!) Blu-ray (and the now-forgotten HD-DVD) is the only real consumer source of lossless HD Audio. (Though some streaming services are now using lossy DTS-HD formats apparently)

RE: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - wrxtasy - 2015-10-01

Both the HardKernel USB-SPDIF and Hi-Fi Shield are not compatible with Android.
They do work in Ubuntu and should work in as well OpenELEC (I've added support for them)

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G140081048224
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143729448865

5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS Audio over USB-SPDIF would work the best.

RE: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - mrpj - 2015-10-01

Thank you very much for the detailed answers

(2015-10-01, 12:24)noggin Wrote: (*)It may be you are confusing HD Audio with Multichannel Audio. Dolby Digital/DTS audio is not HD Audio - it is lossy compressed audio with some potential quality loss (whether you hear this is another matter). DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD (along with FLAC multichannel and PCM multichannel) audio is HD Audio (whether the relatively rare DTS-HD HRA high-quality lossy format is HD Audio is moot - you need kit compatible with DTS HD MA to listen to it!) Blu-ray (and the now-forgotten HD-DVD) is the only real consumer source of lossless HD Audio. (Though some streaming services are now using lossy DTS-HD formats apparently)

Thank you for the explanation - indeed I was mixing hd audio and multichannel audio when asking the question.
It still sounds a bit confusing for me as to which audio format is used.

So lets say I am using the odroid as streaming device for online streams (amazon prime, maybe watchever/netflix). As well as streaming media from my NAS I will not likely need any "hd audio" capable audio extractor - it should be fine if these can extract DD/DTS and deliver it to my amplifier?

@ wrxtasy
thanks for clarifying the android part of the hifi shield.

I will now look more on the cost of both a good hdmi extractor or a good usb-spdif soundcard and if anything ask again.

RE: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - wrxtasy - 2015-10-01

HardKernel have a $16 usb-spdif adapter, a known one that works.
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G140081048224

RE: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - treeman - 2015-10-04

Ref: Odroid-C1+

I am new to this forum and Kodi, for that matter. I am looking forward to assembling my first box. For the last 3 years, I have been using Logitech Revue systems for my entertainment. These were certainly controversial boxes, but have served me well.

I am sure I will not be a power user. I think my needs are fairly simple and I list below:

1) Stream movies/music from my Synology UPNP server
2) Watch Internet TV, which will hopefully lead to cutting the Cable bill
3) Browse the Internet. (like I am doing now from my Revue)
4) Emulator games
5) Netflix and Amazon video streaming (until I can wean the family off)
6) Not a must, but some sort of free Applications suite (like Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc.) in case my kids need a spare computer.

From what I have read, the Odroid-C1+ sounds like a good option for me. My question is, what OS(s) should I install. Given my needs, can I get away with just OpenElec? or should I install Android and the Kodi application? Dual boot or tri-boot is an option, but I am trying to keep the install as simple as possible.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

RE: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - mrpj - 2015-10-04

I am by no means an expert but can give you some answers based on my research on different developer boards and other android/x86 boxes that would be working with kodi.

The Odroid can do 1-4 without any trouble both on openelec and android (with kodi)

5) will be a bit more difficult:
Amazon (Prime) Video does only work with SD content within kodi - in android the dedicated prime streaming app should work with HD content

Netflix is limited to 480p content due to DRM restrictions.

If you really need amazon and netflix, then using a amazon fire stick (or fire tv 2) is the better option to go to. But dont expect fast menu performance from it. If you want a fast kodi experience AND want netflix/amazon streaming then its best to get 2 devices - 1 fire stick and another device like the odroid

As for 6) there are applications for android Google docs/Sheets so that should work (if you have a proper input solution like a bluetooth keyboard)

Hope I could help you a bit.

RE: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - wrxtasy - 2015-10-05

@ treeman > You are trying to do too much on a low powered ARM device like the C1+

Use it only for 1080p HEVC Kodi running OpenELEC. Android will not give you HD Netflix. Internet Browsing in Android will not be the best. Internet Browsing in Ubuntu works but its a bit slow. Emulation of games will have to be run from a seperate SD card.

If it were me with those requirements I would get a ASUS Chromebox and use it to dual boot OpenELEC / Chrome OS - for Internet browsing. Get a compatible Chromebox BT Keyboard from the list in the Hardware subsection of the forum for selection of dual boot.
Then as mrpj has said get a cheap Fire TV Stick/TV2 for HD Netflix with proper browsing and navigation of the Netflix interface.

The upcoming faster Wetek 4K Core would definitely be worth waiting for to see how it performs, as it would likely meet your requirements in an all in one box.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238923&highlight=wetek

RE: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - ciao8167 - 2015-10-06

Does this device have the power to run live sporting events. Primarily Hockey and Football?

RE: ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805 - mrpj - 2015-10-07

@wrxtasy

I am curious - in what sense is the chromebox "better" when it comes to watching 1080p content (h264+h265), emulation games (SNES, N64, PS) ?
The only thing I can see it performes better is on the emulation side of things - but so far the odroid is quite fast (from what I could read in the retroarch forums)