Kodi Community Forum
Release "iPlayer WWW" add-on - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: Release "iPlayer WWW" add-on (/showthread.php?tid=353349)

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - CaptainT - 2016-01-04

(2016-01-04, 17:03)harmony1 Wrote: I'm also having issue with "errors " in the BBC iplayer add on . I just got a Minix Neo U1 and I am getting script errors and general errors when trying to access anything on iplayer.
My first post here and I am sorry its not more positive . Hope its fixed real soon . I admit getting my head around Kodi isn't easy !
Thanks everyone .

Welcome to the forum, harmony1. Please try to give some more information, so that we can help you with your issues:

(2015-09-19, 12:51)CaptainT Wrote:
  • Where did you encounter the problem? Which section/menu entry did you select?
  • What is the nature of the problem? A typo? Empty content? A stream not playing?
  • Is there an error message you get in the GUI or in your kodi.log file? If so, please specify.
  • Which version and platform of Kodi are you using?
  • Which version of the add-on are you using?

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - harmony1 - 2016-01-04

(2016-01-04, 18:50)CaptainT Wrote:
(2016-01-04, 17:03)harmony1 Wrote: I'm also having issue with "errors " in the BBC iplayer add on . I just got a Minix Neo U1 and I am getting script errors and general errors when trying to access anything on iplayer.
My first post here and I am sorry its not more positive . Hope its fixed real soon . I admit getting my head around Kodi isn't easy !
Thanks everyone .

Welcome to the forum, harmony1. Please try to give some more information, so that we can help you with your issues:

(2015-09-19, 12:51)CaptainT Wrote:
  • Where did you encounter the problem? Which section/menu entry did you select?
  • What is the nature of the problem? A typo? Empty content? A stream not playing?
  • Is there an error message you get in the GUI or in your kodi.log file? If so, please specify.
  • Which version and platform of Kodi are you using?
  • Which version of the add-on are you using?

Hello , when I run your Bbc iplayer 1.30 I get the following when trying to load anything "i player WWW Error " check the log for more info
Nothing will even load . I am using latest xbmc for minix 15.3 .

Thanks

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - CaptainT - 2016-01-04

(2016-01-04, 19:44)harmony1 Wrote: Hello , when I run your Bbc iplayer 1.30 I get the following when trying to load anything i player WWW Error check the log .
Nothing will even load . I am using latest xbmc for minix

Please see this post for a likely explanation of your problems including instructions how to fix them.

Please also note that XBMC, the predecessor of Kodi is not officially supported by this add-on. It is only meant for Kodi version 14 and later. Thus, if there are any problems specific to XBMC (assuming version 13.3), they will not be fixed. In this case, please update to a newer release of Kodi.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - harmony1 - 2016-01-04

Hi CaptainT
Do you think 1.31 would e worth giving a go ? Xbmc on minix is very new version 15.3
I could also download kodi from app store .. which do you suggest ?
Thanks

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - harmony1 - 2016-01-05

(2016-01-04, 22:47)harmony1 Wrote: Hi CaptainT
Do you think 1.31 would e worth giving a go ? Xbmc on minix is very new version 15.3
Thanks

I tried 1.31 and it worked Smile Great !!

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - CaptainT - 2016-01-05

(2016-01-04, 22:47)harmony1 Wrote: Hi CaptainT
Thanks

If Minix provide 15.3 by now, this should be the best option. They typically have hardware-dependent fixes in their builds.

As you already found out, 1.3.1 is the solution. It should arrive from the official repo any time now for everyone.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - canajien - 2016-01-05

(2015-12-31, 17:44)CaptainT Wrote:
(2015-12-31, 17:37)castalla Wrote: Only able to access live streams - all other produce scrpt errors

If you are not using Windows or Linux, this is most likely a known bug in 1.3.0 which will be fixed in 1.3.1, see previous posts.

1.3.1 has already been released, but needs some time to get on the official repo. If you need a quick fix, please roll back to 1.2.10 or update to 1.3.1 from Github.

I have downloaded/installed 1.3.1 from github and it has fixed the problem on my nexus player. Thanks.

As per your request I have sent a donation to the foundation to help the work on Kodi, being post xmas there isn't much to spread around. Sad

Thanks again for this great plugin.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - cmaines - 2016-01-07

First of all, thanks for the plugin! It's good to see this one back and working again.

Secondly, I'm having frequent buffering issues with this plugin that I do not have with a "competing" plugin. I'm nominally using the same video source and streaming rate on both - 1.5MB/s from Akamai - but on iPlayer WWW, the stream will be okay for a few minutes (occasionally for an entire program), but then it starts to stutter and hang and I see "Buffering ..." appearing quite frequently. If I stop the stream, reload it and jump to the section I was just watching, it will pick up smoothly, but then invariably start stuttering, etc. If I drop the streaming rate to 1.0MB/s or lower, it still happens, but less frequently. However, the image has too many compression artifacts to make it worth watching. On the "competing" plugin, I very rarely have any such issues.

Is there a way to fix this or to increase the buffering on iPlayer WWW?

Thanks

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - CaptainT - 2016-01-07

(2016-01-07, 16:55)cmaines Wrote: Secondly, I'm having frequent buffering issues with this plugin that I do not have with a "competing" plugin. I'm nominally using the same video source and streaming rate on both - 1.5MB/s from Akamai - but on iPlayer WWW, the stream will be okay for a few minutes (occasionally for an entire program), but then it starts to stutter and hang and I see "Buffering ..." appearing quite frequently. If I stop the stream, reload it and jump to the section I was just watching, it will pick up smoothly, but then invariably start stuttering, etc. If I drop the streaming rate to 1.0MB/s or lower, it still happens, but less frequently. However, the image has too many compression artifacts to make it worth watching. On the "competing" plugin, I very rarely have any such issues.

There is no such thing as a competition between this and other add-ons for the same purpose. Wink

Also, I don't know which other add-on you are referring to, but I can make an assumption. If this assumption is correct, then the other add-on uses a different kind of stream than this one. Currently, there are three kinds of streams provided by the Beeb:
  1. RTMP, these are used by another add-on and they are legacy. The Beeb may remove them at any time.
  2. HLS, which is what this add-on uses. It is not perfect, especially support for HLS in Kodi is not perfect, but at least these should stick around for some time.
  3. DASH, this is the future. I am not sure if the streams are already working, but it does not make a difference anyways, as Kodi currently does not support DASH.
The thing is: Even if the combination of Bitrate and CDN works well for you in the other add-on, it may not here. This is because the stream sources are completely different. With the exobuzz's now defunct add-on, which also used RTMP, Akamai was by far the best CDN for my connection. Today, I mostly use Limelight as it is more stable.

Quote:Is there a way to fix this or to increase the buffering on iPlayer WWW?

I thought so for a very long time, please see the latest version of the first post in this thread for more information. However, I am not so sure any more. Kodi might actually ignore cachemembufersize with HLS streams, but I need to do some more research to verify this.

Also, there have been various issues with HLS streams in general, and particular on slow hardware like Raspberry Pi in the past. These were not add-on specific, but problems in Kodi itself. They should be resolved in the latest Kodi releases, so please use a current version of Kodi.

Edit: Actually, there are four kinds of streams at the moment. I forgot to mention this one as it is not relevant to Kodi as well. The streams delivered to browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome,...) on Windows and Linux are based on HDS, which is another format that Kodi does not support at the moment. HDS in many ways is similar to HLS.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - CaptainT - 2016-01-07

(2016-01-05, 14:10)canajien Wrote: I have downloaded/installed 1.3.1 from github and it has fixed the problem on my nexus player. Thanks.

As per your request I have sent a donation to the foundation to help the work on Kodi, being post xmas there isn't much to spread around. Sad

Thanks again for this great plugin.

Great to hear that it works for you now. I also don't quite understand why 1.3.1 still isn't distributed although it was merged to the official repo days ago.

Thanks for the donation to the foundation. Let's hope this motivates them to invest some more time into features like DASH-support or more advanced handling of HLS streams in Kodi.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - cmaines - 2016-01-07

(2016-01-07, 18:37)CaptainT Wrote: 2. HLS, which is what this add-on uses. It is not perfect, especially support for HLS in Kodi is not perfect, but at least these should stick around for some time.

That completely answers the question then, thanks! Smile

I have had very poor results with HLS, so that would explain why the other plugin gives better results for me, at least until the Beeb turns off support for the other. I would really prefer using your plugin (subtitle support - yay!), but the stuttering streams are keeping me from it. Sad

(2016-01-07, 18:37)CaptainT Wrote: Also, there have been various issues with HLS streams in general, and particular on slow hardware like Raspberry Pi in the past. These were not add-on specific, but problems in Kodi itself. They should be resolved in the latest Kodi releases, so please use a current version of Kodi.

I'm using an RP2 with the latest version of OSMC on it, which I'm pretty sure is using the latest version of Kodi. In any event, OSMC will be updated to Kodi 16.0 very soon it looks like. However, I saw a thread on the OSMC forums about micro SDHC cards requiring 4K writes better than 1MB/s for optimal streaming performance, and since mine has 4K writes somewhere south of that, I had been planning to switch to a faster card anyway. I'll report back if that (or the update to Kodi 16.0) fixes the problem.

Thanks again for the response!

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - primaeval - 2016-01-08

(2016-01-07, 22:32)cmaines Wrote: I'm using an RP2 with the latest version of OSMC on it, which I'm pretty sure is using the latest version of Kodi. In any event, OSMC will be updated to Kodi 16.0 very soon it looks like. However, I saw a thread on the OSMC forums about micro SDHC cards requiring 4K writes better than 1MB/s for optimal streaming performance, and since mine has 4K writes somewhere south of that, I had been planning to switch to a faster card anyway. I'll report back if that (or the update to Kodi 16.0) fixes the problem.

I am running a RPI version 1 with Openelec 6.0.0 and all the streams play smoothly for me. Have you tried Openelec? The only problems I had with RPI was with using USB DACs or MCE remote controls.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - speedwell68 - 2016-01-08

(2016-01-08, 17:59)primaeval Wrote:
(2016-01-07, 22:32)cmaines Wrote: I'm using an RP2 with the latest version of OSMC on it, which I'm pretty sure is using the latest version of Kodi. In any event, OSMC will be updated to Kodi 16.0 very soon it looks like. However, I saw a thread on the OSMC forums about micro SDHC cards requiring 4K writes better than 1MB/s for optimal streaming performance, and since mine has 4K writes somewhere south of that, I had been planning to switch to a faster card anyway. I'll report back if that (or the update to Kodi 16.0) fixes the problem.

I am running a RPI version 1 with Openelec 6.0.0 and all the streams play smoothly for me. Have you tried Openelec? The only problems I had with RPI was with using USB DACs or MCE remote controls.

I have 3 Raspberry Pi model 1B and a Raspberry Pi Zero. I have no idea what the spec of my SD cards are other than they are class 10s and the Raspberry Pi Zero has an old class 2 and it all works perfectly.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - hendoben - 2016-01-10

Just non stop buffering for me. On the correct version of the add-on as per this thread, latest kodi on pc and firetv, wifi and ethernet. Tried changing the buffer size. Streams work flawlessly through firefox on the desktop and on the firetv iplayer app. .

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - primaeval - 2016-01-10

(2016-01-10, 19:41)hendoben Wrote: Just non stop buffering for me. On the correct version of the add-on as per this thread, latest kodi on pc and firetv, wifi and ethernet. Tried changing the buffer size. Streams work flawlessly through firefox on the desktop and on the firetv iplayer app. .

Have you tried dropping the bitrate or changing the provider in the iplayerwww Settings?