Kodi Community Forum
Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences (/showthread.php?tid=170791)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - leblancchris - 2014-03-22

Just upgraded to 4.2.2.
Installing Gotham and wondering if u guys choose the android or pivos option in xbmc hub?

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - davilla - 2014-03-22

hint, we are not XBMCHub Smile

Re: RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - leblancchris - 2014-03-22

(2014-03-22, 17:32)davilla Wrote: hint, we are not XBMCHub Smile

OK and none of you use it?

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - davilla - 2014-03-22

nope.

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - CypherSteel - 2014-03-23

Just got the 520 in the mail the other day. While I've gotten myself around, I'd like to be able to upgrade Android and see if I even need to touch the firmware and if so how to go about it. It does have the autoupdate checked but not sure if that works. I did mange to uninstall XBMC and with the update app put the v13 Gotham build on. What I'd really like to know is why I can't get US netflix to work when it works fine on my tablet?

I'm new to some of this, please go slow/use lube....Smile

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - CypherSteel - 2014-03-23

Alright...frustrated....where do I find out what the current firmware on my ATV 520e is (just got it Friday)? Downloaded the firmware files as per their directions and stuck them onto a usb key. Went to the upgrade app, hit local upgrade...didn't find the files. Stuck them on a usb drive same deal. So I'm thinking it's got the latest? Ugh...I've done updates before and I HATE feeling like a total newbie. And frankly, I'd like to get a more recent version of android on there and perhaps have a pure experience like on my nexus....help please Sad

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - mikedem - 2014-03-23

I believe on these 520 units the upgrade will only read from the SD card and not the USB.

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - Packetcrypt - 2014-03-23

The ATV520E unit updates fine from a USB. You need to hit the menu button 8 times in a row while in update screen and then the files will appear .

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - mikedem - 2014-03-23

(2014-03-23, 21:40)Packetcrypt Wrote: The ATV520E unit updates fine from a USB. You need to hit the menu button 8 times in a row while in update screen and then the files will appear .

I was just posting what I read on the Mygica site and it says not?

Firmware Installation Instructions
1. Copy all files into a Micro SD card's root directory.
*Note: Flashing with a USB Flash drive is not currently supported.

Files should include:
factory_update_param.aml
factory_update_param.ubt
spi_MX.bin
recovery.img
MX_LINUX-STVMX-update.zip

2. Disconnect the power plug from the MyGica ATV520 and connect a HDMI cable with a ready HDTV.

3. Insert the Micro SD card into the MyGica ATV520's Micro SD slot.

4. Locate a paper clip and extend one end into a straight 2+ inch rod.

5. Turn over the MyGica ATV520 and look at the bottom cover, you should see the MyGica logo north side and the text should be in its correct orientation.

6. Locate a single pin hole with an "UPGRADE" word above it.

7. Slowly insert the paper clip into the pin hole.

8. When you feel a solid surface, the paper clip has reached the top of the service button.

9. Gently push inward to activate the service button and remain holding the service button pressed.

10. While the service button is pressed, connect the power plug and wait 10 seconds.

11. Release the service button and remove the paper clip from the MyGica ATV520.

12. A Android robot should appear on the HDTV. The MyGica ATV520 will now flash the firmware and reboot automatically.

The system should now boot directly into XBMC. Remove the Micro SD card after a successful boot.

Here's what it says from the official pdf...you can see my confusion:
MyGica ATV520E&ATV520 Firmware upgrade instruction
Local update instruction :
http://www.mygica.com/down-eng/androidtvbox/update_spi_mx_20130805.zip
http://www.geniatech.com/down-eng/androidtvbox/update_MYGICA_ATV520E_20130920.zip
1. Download above two files without decompression, rename to update_spi_mx_20130805.img
and update_MYGICA_ATV520E_20130920.img,make sure you did not hide the file extension on you PC
2. Copy them into TF card or USB disk, and connect to the box.
3. Run Upgrade app and choose local update
you will see update_spi_mx_20130805.img and update_MYGICA_ATV520E_20130920.img
4. Select SPI file to upgrade first, the box will restart after upgrading completed, then run upgrade- local
update and update firmware

Well, I'll try the menu button method. Has anyone successfully gotten KitKat up on this thing? I'd really like a newer version of android (provided I can still use the Store, Netflix, XBMC etc.

Ah and the 8 x menu button trick seems to work. That's a start! Smile

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - mbdj - 2014-03-24

I have problem with Mygica ATV520E. My tv is Grundig 40VLE5324 and there is no signal on it when I connect Mygica. Kernel version is 3.0.8-g525c782 and build number is V1.03.04MX01_20130920. I have tried all display settings (set on another tv and then connect to Grundig) with no result.
I bought HDMI splitter hoping to solve the issue and still no signal on my tv.
http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/419154/SpeaKa-Professional-2-Port-Verteiler-Anzahl-Eingaenge-1-Anzahl-Ausgaenge-2?ref=list
The only way to get the picture is when I disconnect the Grudig from the spitter, restart splitter and Mygica, get the picture on second tv and finally connect my tv to the splitter. After that I can disconnect second tv and use Mygica on Grundig tv.
Is there any other solution? This with two tv's is not practical for me.

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - helkish - 2014-03-24

(2014-03-23, 23:16)CypherSteel Wrote: Here's what it says from the official pdf...you can see my confusion:
MyGica ATV520E&ATV520 Firmware upgrade instruction
Local update instruction :
http://www.mygica.com/down-eng/androidtvbox/update_spi_mx_20130805.zip
http://www.geniatech.com/down-eng/androidtvbox/update_MYGICA_ATV520E_20130920.zip
1. Download above two files without decompression, rename to update_spi_mx_20130805.img
and update_MYGICA_ATV520E_20130920.img,make sure you did not hide the file extension on you PC
2. Copy them into TF card or USB disk, and connect to the box.
3. Run Upgrade app and choose local update
you will see update_spi_mx_20130805.img and update_MYGICA_ATV520E_20130920.img
4. Select SPI file to upgrade first, the box will restart after upgrading completed, then run upgrade- local
update and update firmware

Well, I'll try the menu button method. Has anyone successfully gotten KitKat up on this thing? I'd really like a newer version of android (provided I can still use the Store, Netflix, XBMC etc.

Ah and the 8 x menu button trick seems to work. That's a start! Smile

Yeah pressing the menu button 8 times does make the files show up. Also make sure the your SD/USB card is formatted in FAT32. If your unsure how to do this just copy the files off SD/USB card and under Settings > Storage there is an option to format the card. It will format it in FAT32 and the copy the files back on to the card.

The latest official version of Android for these devices is 4.1. There is a link to a unreleased 4.2 floating around the forums but some one report the play store is not working correctly.

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - sunnyhero - 2014-03-24

I did conform that after updating to 4.2.2 play store is not working for me.Not sure how to install apps?

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - lifeisfun - 2014-03-24

(2014-03-24, 16:03)sunnyhero Wrote: I did conform that after updating to 4.2.2 play store is not working for me.Not sure how to install apps?

Download the apk and install it.

RE: Genaitech/Mygica ATV520, Android, XBMC, my experiences - CypherSteel - 2014-03-24

So I successfully updated the firmware (thanks guys!) and have another question: I've got it to stream from my video folder on my computer to xmbc. And I've got a usb drive attached with videos/music etc. So....how can I set things up so I can see the USB drive(in the living room) on my computer(in the office) and delete/add files? Having to run back and forth with the drive is a pain...