Kodi Community Forum
Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV (/showthread.php?tid=229348)

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Koying - 2016-04-01

(2016-04-01, 19:55)_Owl_ Wrote: Isn't the ability of the internal player to play back MVC files with 1080i @25fps perfectly prove that the TV's Mediatek chipset can decode and handle MVC already?

Surely. Now, unless the "Sony internal player" is open source, nobody has any idea how it has to be done...

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - _Owl_ - 2016-04-01

Doesn't Mediatek offer all kind of documentations about their chipsets?

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - taz84 - 2016-04-02

dear all, i have bought a Sony KD 55X8005C - 55" LED Smart TV hoping that i can do away with watching movies/streams on tele however i am shocked to see that opera browswer doesnt have flash player which means i am unable to watch the stream.
Can you please advise me what to do. I feel i might have wasted £800 if i cant watch what i would like to watch. I hope you good people can help me out...Confused

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Hannes The Hun - 2016-04-02

taz84, I can't see how your support question has anything to do with Kodi. please visit the official Sony community forums.

owl, if mediatek 'offer all kind of documentations about their chipsets' then you are invited to find this documentation and share it with us here.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - _Owl_ - 2016-04-02

Hannes,
I am not sure I like the tone of your comment.

Without an (API) documentation a chipset is useless.

Chipset manufacturers naturally are interested their chipsets are used to their full extent, because that means more customers and more revenue. I am only a private person, but if a coder of an App, for example Kodi, would contact them, the chances are not that bad, that he would receive the documentation he needs.

From the point of view of Kodi I also think that it would be beneficial, if Kodi would offer Android-TV owners the ability to play back 3D content. Even more so, since no other app is able to do so yet and because Android-TV probably will become a widespread and powerful OS.

And to make it clear: I would have the least advantage from it, because I already own a StrawberryPi.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Koying - 2016-04-02

(2016-04-02, 16:38)_Owl_ Wrote: I am not sure I like the tone of your comment.

You are the one making bold claims that there is an MTK documentation available to the public.
If you can find one, please point it to us, but you could be surprised how little doc is available for most SoC's (for free).

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - jasmart - 2016-04-02

(2016-04-02, 16:38)_Owl_ Wrote: Hannes,
I am not sure I like the tone of your comment.

Chipset manufacturers naturally are interested their chipsets are used to their full extent, because that means more customers and more revenue. I am only a private person, but if a coder of an App, for example Kodi, would contact them, the chances are not that bad, that he would receive the documentation he needs.

From the point of view of Kodi I also think that it would be beneficial, if Kodi would offer Android-TV owners the ability to play back 3D content. Even more so, since no other app is able to do so yet and because Android-TV probably will become a widespread and powerful OS.

And to make it clear: I would have the least advantage from it, because I already own a StrawberryPi.

And to add in here, I don't get where you are coming in from regarding 'no other app.. [has the] ability to play back 3D content'. There are plenty of ways of watching 3D content on Sony's implementation of Android-TV. Use the Sony Video Player App, use Kodi itself. They all playback 3D content just fine.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - _Owl_ - 2016-04-02

@Koying
Did you ask Mediatek?
I just wanted to dispute the claim, that Mediatek chipsets were not able to play back MVC and IIIC nobody before had found out, that the chipset is able to decode MVC. So I offered some thoughts, why I think it would be beneficial if Kodi could use it for 3D playback. I personally have all I need with a Raspberry, but I guess for a huge majority a RPi will never be a solution. If developers are not interested in the documentation it's ok for me. But why should I? I don't care, if Kodi becomes more powerful.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - D1Vad - 2016-04-03

wow, Koying is in this forum! thanks for all your kodi work man!

I recently discovered your the main guy behind the kodi android development and now is the time to switch to SPMC for the latest goodies.

I just wanted to report i tried SPMC 16.1.2 and it was back to jerky playback. Ever since kodi 16 beta 4 the playback has been silky smooth on my KDL55W800C (I also use buffermode = 1 advice from this thread).

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - optico - 2016-04-03

I discovered the reason why I don't have available on the KODI/SPMC GUI options for PT and DD&DTS capable receiver after Kodi 15.2
Sony Android TV has a 3.5 mm jack that can be used either as headphone, audio out (fixed and variable) or subwoofer.
Since a jack in inserted no more PT configurations are available. The strange thing is that it only happens after Kodi 15.2.
Thanks Koying for or efforts to bring to us an optimized android platform.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - zenji2010 - 2016-04-03

Hi, I have a KDL55X8509C running SPMC connected to a Sony HTXT1, works great! - Thanks Koying - I've been able to retire my Raspberry Pi finally Smile

One quick question, is it possible to add the Sony video player as an 'external player' may be handy to have as an option for 'play using' particularly for 24fps content with lots of panning shots ......

I've looked though the Kodi 'playercorefactory.xml' guide wiki guide, but of course this just lists player which are apps - how would I add the Sony player in this instance?

Thanks!

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Miso - 2016-04-03

This worked for me

Code:
<player name="IntPlay" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
  <filename>com.sony.dtv.osat.video</filename>
  <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
  <playcountminimumtime>120</playcountminimumtime>
</player>

However I found:
-You need to use DLNA for your files as internal player can not access network drives
-In some cases the player failed to start playing the movie but was stuck on starting hourglass/loop. Never found out the exact reason why but this always happened for some movies and when it happened for one no other movie would work untill I rebooted the TV.
-External subtitles can not be loaded

This was enough for me to stop looking into this approach.
Hope this helps,

Miso

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - zenji2010 - 2016-04-04

Thanks for the info Miso, pity that is the case tho Sad

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - schweppy - 2016-04-04

Anyone using the Hue addon?

Seems to not be working with SPMC but does work when playing a 3D film? Is there something to do with that causing the trigger but not for 2D films?

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Koying - 2016-04-04

(2016-04-04, 15:14)schweppy Wrote: Seems to not be working with SPMC but does work when playing a 3D film? Is there something to do with that causing the trigger but not for 2D films?

Boblight-style addons do not work with Mediacodec(Surface). Just disable it.
Should work with plain Mediacodec, so for everything besides 4K, though...