Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- ijhammo - 2010-05-29

snoop2048 Wrote:Did you fix this? I have the exact same issue. Booting from a USB DVD drive. Not a good start, absolutely infuriating. Sad

What size USB stick were you using? I tried with a 2GB stick and I got the same error message. With a 1GB stick it worked perfectly.

- cable_guy - 2010-05-30

Hi, is it possible to run XBMC on top of Windows and have Iplayer website run using the GPU for the HD footage?

- HopkinsProg - 2010-05-30

Just in case anyone else is having issues with the XBMC 9.11 Live Repack and the Acer Aspire Revo 3160's HDMI audio, I was able to get it working through NVidia's beta drivers. See my steps that fixed it here.

- jseiser - 2010-05-31

wanted to reply stating that updating to the newest nvidia driver made hdmi audio work.

- BiggestSteel - 2010-06-01

I just bought an Acer Revo 3160 with Windows 7, mainly to use XBMC. I want to keep Windows 7, but would also like to use XBMC. I figured out how to get XBMC to boot from a USB drive, but cannot figure out how to add sources from the Revo's hard drive. Any help? Also, should I be considering a dual boot setup off the hard drive? If so, is there a good tutorial somewhere for doing that?

- KeithLM - 2010-06-01

BiggestSteel Wrote:I just bought an Acer Revo 3160 with Windows 7, mainly to use XBMC. I want to keep Windows 7, but would also like to use XBMC. I figured out how to get XBMC to boot from a USB drive, but cannot figure out how to add sources from the Revo's hard drive. Any help? Also, should I be considering a dual boot setup off the hard drive? If so, is there a good tutorial somewhere for doing that?

If your hard drive just has a single Win 7 partition then it probably is NTFS, and I'm not sure if XBMC Live supports that, you'll need to look for that. If you choose the install option from a XBMC Live CD then it will guide you through the process of repartitioning the hard drive so that you don't lose your Win 7 install and dual boot will be supported. It's quite easy.

- schneidz - 2010-06-01

i run xbmc-live from a 2 gb usb harddrive. i save all my movies and tv shows on the internal windows-7 harddrive (ntfs works fine).

is there any real advantage to partiitioning and installing xbmc on the internal harddrive (is it faster, more reliable, ...) ?

(fyi: the internal harddrive has 2 partitions on it already: 10 gb for the recovery partition; 130 gb for the win-7 partition)

- gqneo - 2010-06-02

schneidz Wrote:i run xbmc-live from a 2 gb usb harddrive. i save all my movies and tv shows on the internal windows-7 harddrive (ntfs works fine).

is there any real advantage to partiitioning and installing xbmc on the internal harddrive (is it faster, more reliable, ...) ?

(fyi: the internal harddrive has 2 partitions on it already: 10 gb for the recovery partition; 130 gb for the win-7 partition)

How did you get xbmc to see the HDD in the revo when you boot from the usb.

I'm trying to get that setup to work. I currently have Windows 7 on the HDD and XBMC live on a 4GB USB flash drive.

- schneidz - 2010-06-02

somewhere in the video menu you have to select it as a source.

i that doesnt work; maybe its not seeing it.

can you post the output of sudo fdisk -l

(maybe you need to mount it first ?)
- post the output of mount and df -h

- anthony522 - 2010-06-03

HopkinsProg Wrote:Just in case anyone else is having issues with the XBMC 9.11 Live Repack and the Acer Aspire Revo 3160's HDMI audio, I was able to get it working through NVidia's beta drivers. See my steps that fixed it here.

What audio issues were you having?

So far I have tried installing the latest live build from xbmc.org/downloads, the r14 build from XBMCfreaks and now the r13 build (I heard the r14 build introduced some SMB and audio issues) and I still am having distorted audio. The audio almost sounds "fuzzy" if that makes sense.

I wonder if your fix may help me?

- Ricardo - 2010-06-03

i guys,

I just installed xbmc live on a Zotac Zbox and I am having trouble to see my wired network shared drives which can be seen perfectly from any windows machine in my network.

Workgroup is the same, IP address is correct, what else should I check?

Thanks.

- gqneo - 2010-06-04

schneidz Wrote:somewhere in the video menu you have to select it as a source.

i that doesnt work; maybe its not seeing it.

can you post the output of sudo fdisk -l

(maybe you need to mount it first ?)
- post the output of mount and df -h

Sorry ... where do I run these commands? Thank you for the help

- gqneo - 2010-06-04

Never mind ... I figured it out ... I had to edit menu.lst and take out "nodiskmount" and then I was able to see the drive as a source.

- ahreno - 2010-06-08

I've heard that theres either an ISO made specifically for the aspire revo or there's an auto install script. I can't find it for the life of me. Anyone have any idea what i'm talking about. (sorry for the vague post)

- anthony522 - 2010-06-08

ahreno Wrote:I've heard that theres either an ISO made specifically for the aspire revo or there's an auto install script. I can't find it for the life of me. Anyone have any idea what i'm talking about. (sorry for the vague post)

Hmm not sure. I used the R13 release from XBMCFreak and then used HopkinsProg's fix to update my Nvidia drivers and it is working fine. Without updating the drivers though my sound was distorted with the R13, R14, and latest release from xbmc.org.

Hope that helps.