Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- devm - 2010-07-14

Quote:Hi I am fairly new to linux. I have been trying my best to follow the instructions, but I am still unable to get wifi on my Acer Revo. I understand you are suppose to download the Ralink RT3090 drivers. My question is how do I install the driver or move the files to my Acer when I can't connect to my wifi router? Thanks a bunch, I received my Acer Revo today. I was really psyched out to get the xbmc going, but the lifehacker failed to mention anything about connecting to a network.

You have to plug it into your router with an ethernet cable. I believe you need internet access to download and install all the updated and packages, at least the way I did it.

- schneidz - 2010-07-14

^
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=555675&postcount=611

- jvanph - 2010-07-14

I have connected my Revo to a router. How am I suppose to apt get install gcc to compile the wireless driver? Is this something I would use the terminal for?
Thanks

- chanders - 2010-07-14

^^ Yes it is. Let me spare you a minute

1. Download and install XBMC Live on a USB stick.
2. Connect the revo to a router that has DHCP
3. Boot with the usb stick
4. When fully booted press ctrl+alt+F1
5. You should be in a terminal.
6. Follow the necessary instructions to get the driver installed

7. Note: If you ever update to a new version of LIVE ie Linux (not XBMC) you may need to re install the driver

LIVE - Problem updating NVIDA Drivers - thomasjay - 2010-07-15

I updated XBMC Live

An I now get the follow error:

XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics driver.

I tired to update the NVIDA drivers using the following command

sudo nvidia-installer --update -a -s -f

I get the following error:

ERROR: Unable to find the development tool `make` in your path; please make
sure that you have the package 'make' installed. If make is installed
on your system, then please check that `make` is in your PATH.

Would someone be able to help me as I desperately want to get my XBMC up and running.

- schneidz - 2010-07-15

^ i didnt need to install the nvidia drivers separately...

but to install make you can do: sudo apt-get install build-essentials

- devm - 2010-07-16

Hey guys, in my eariler post where I posted this:

Quote:Fix suspend and allow your keyboard/mouse(cannot confirm for any usb device) to wake up the system.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Enable_Wake-On-Device

That actually only worked once, then the next time I tried to wake from suspend, the system just woke to a blank screen with a blinking cursor, I could not type or ALT + F1 to open a terminal. It seems this is another known issue, and I have been searching on some ubuntu forums to find the solution, but I was wondering if anyone here knew of a solution? (I have searched the xbmc forums with the search function)

In case you were curious, here are the threads that seem to be talking about the issue:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=814939

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1144999

- EmPleh - 2010-07-17

Hey guys, just a quick question. It might not belong here but wanted to try before I made a separate post.

I have a 500gb external HDD connected to my Acer Aspire running Xbmc live. Is it possible to ftp into the external drive in anyway to upload content to it?

I can connect to Xbmc via filezilla and I can see the external HDD (root/media/external hdd name) but I cannot edit anything on it, it says I do not have permission.

Is there anything I can do to add stuff to the external hdd?

- Tsuris - 2010-07-17

I haven't tried this but are you using root? If you need to you can use

Code:
sudo passwd root

when logged on (via cntrl-alt-f1 or putty) as your normal user to change/set your root password.

- schneidz - 2010-07-17

EmPleh Wrote:Hey guys, just a quick question. It might not belong here but wanted to try before I made a separate post.

I have a 500gb external HDD connected to my Acer Aspire running Xbmc live. Is it possible to ftp into the external drive in anyway to upload content to it?

I can connect to Xbmc via filezilla and I can see the external HDD (root/media/external hdd name) but I cannot edit anything on it, it says I do not have permission.

Is there anything I can do to add stuff to the external hdd?

can you post the output of
Code:
mount
df -h
cat /etc/fstab
ll [i]</path/to/external-hdd-mount>[/i]

- alda - 2010-07-22

Hi, I have problem to shut down xbmc live installed on the HDD from shutdown menu. The system just woke to a blank screen with a blinking cursor, I could not type ALT + F1 to open a terminal.
Doesn't make sense if I will choose in shutdown menu - suspend, hibernate or shutdown.

Power button on the case is working correctly.

Alda

- Splicer261 - 2010-07-29

First of all thanks to everyone who has been commenting and submitting posts, it's been very helpful

I managed to set up my Acer Revo Aspire and loaded it with XBMC live..

Everything is working fine from wireless internet, iphone app remote etc..the only issue is my external hard drive.

I didn't go down the route of streaming video from an in-house server, instead i bought a good 1.5tb external hard drive (samsung), started burning all my dvds, music and connected it directly to my acer revo.

The issue i have is this..everytime i start up my Acer Revo..the external hard drive doesn't automatically start/boot up as well?

I have to physically unplug the usb cable from either the external hard drive or acer revo and plug it back in, the hard drive then lights up and all systems are go!

Any idea why this is? my hard drive is formatted to NTFS, mainly because i couldn't transfer more than 4GB with FAT32.

As you might have gathered, it is connected via USB cable and the skin i run is AEON Dark

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

- schneidz - 2010-07-29

^ are you sure that is not how the usb hardrive is functioning as designed ?

what happens when you boot it up windows with it attached.

- Splicer261 - 2010-07-29

schneidz Wrote:^ are you sure that is not how the usb hardrive is functioning as designed ?

what happens when you boot it up windows with it attached.

Thanks for the reply..

I never used to have an issue before, this kicked about 2 months ago..i don't know whether it is because i formatted it to NTFS format...used to be FAT32..

I have a mac and windows running under bootcamp, no issues...i connect the hard drive and they are recognised with no problems.

Start up my acer revo with hard drive connected via USB and it doesn't start..i unplug the usb and connect it back into acer, and viola..it starts and files are all accessible.

Maybe there is an auto run file that i am missing? wait..does that make sense?

- schneidz - 2010-07-30

there probably is a way to simulate a unplug/ replug in linux.
for starters what is the output of
Code:
lsusb
mount
before and after you unplug/ replug it.