Kodi Community Forum
Release "iPlayer WWW" add-on - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: Release "iPlayer WWW" add-on (/showthread.php?tid=353349)

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - Wolfman - 2016-04-05

I have the iPlayer WWW installed in OSMC on my Pi3.

The main thing I want to use it for is to watch the BBC News channel live.

However, I can never get a smooth uninterrupted stream like I can with Aljeezra or RT.

With BBC News it consistently momentarily freezes and does not work at all unless Hardware Acceleration is turned on,which unfortunatly also seems to make audio slowly drift out of synch on any other add-on.Confused

I have a 100mB internet connection which never drops any lower than 80,so I don't think that bandwidth is an issue.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - primaeval - 2016-04-05

(2016-04-05, 12:42)Wolfman Wrote: I have the iPlayer WWW installed in OSMC on my Pi3.

However, I can never get a smooth uninterrupted stream like I can with Aljeezra or RT.

With BBC News it consistently momentarily freezes and does not work at all unless Hardware Acceleration is turned on,which unfortunatly also seems to make audio slowly drift out of synch on any other add-on.Confused

I have a 100mB internet connection which never drops any lower than 80,so I don't think that bandwidth is an issue.

This post might help: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=239378&pid=2231301#pid2231301

Also the default stream bitrate can be too high. Try turning off autoplay in the Settings first.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - JPaul - 2016-04-05

I have the Live bitrate set to 1.8 Mbps and it works brilliantly.

The picture is excellent and it never buffers.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - Wolfman - 2016-04-06

I tried setting it to 1.8Mbps and it was unuseable. Literally pauses every 2 seconds and has no sound.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - primaeval - 2016-04-06

(2016-04-06, 12:05)Wolfman Wrote: I tried setting it to 1.8Mbps and it was unuseable. Literally pauses every 2 seconds and has no sound.

Can you do some A/B testing? Is it ok on a laptop or desktop computer? Is it ok with a different os than OSMC? Is there a proxy/vpn/smart dns in the middle that is slowing things down? Do you have a special audio setup: usb dac, spdif etc?

I do not have kodi on any other computer other than the Pi as I use Mac's.

No special Audio setup on the Pi,just picture and sound through HDMI into TV.

As I mentioned before Russia Today streams absolutely perfectly and instantly as does Aljeezera.

As for the Proxy/VPN/Smart DNS stuff,that is kind of out of scope of my knowledge

Try installing Kodi on your Mac and see if the addon plays ok on there.
https://kodi.tv/download/

(2016-01-31, 20:08)cmaines Wrote: The only thing that helped was to enable OMXPlayer hardware acceleration and disable MMAL hardware acceleration. (I'm back to using OSMC.) I still get stuttering occasionally, but only once or twice an hour.

Did you try this?

Here is how: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=215039&pid=1900269#pid1900269
That whole thread may help.

I have a RPI first generation that plays the iplayer streams perfectly with Openelec. You should be able to play them on the RPI3 unless they downgraded the video/audio codecs. Another thing to try is downgrading Kodi to 15.2. There have been some audio sync issues on the Android version of 16.0. I don't know about the RPI. It might be related.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - V8MEM - 2016-04-06

if it stutters only in kodi then it is most likely because ffmpeg does not support keep-alives for HLS streams

(2016-04-06, 13:11)V8MEM Wrote: if it stutters only in kodi then it is most likely because ffmpeg does not support keep-alives for HLS streams

Is there a workaround?

Thanks for the links,I will check it out.

I didn't actually realise you could get Kodi for the Mac!

To be honest,my experience so far with OSMC and the Pi3 has been one of nothing but pure frustration.I haven't been able to watch a single thing without their being some kind of playback issue,audio going out of synch,freezes,the interface freezing,losing connection to the remote,some issue with an add-on or the other.I am spending more time actually trying to configure an unstressfull user experience than actually 'experiencing' it!

I am thinking their must be something wrong with the install or maybe this is just the nature of the beast of an open-source project such as this?

(2016-04-06, 13:15)Wolfman Wrote: Thanks for the links,I will check it out.

I didn't actually realise you could get Kodi for the Mac!

To be honest,my experience so far with OSMC and the Pi3 has been one of nothing but pure frustration.I haven't been able to watch a single thing without their being some kind of playback issue,audio going out of synch,freezes,the interface freezing,losing connection to the remote,some issue with an add-on or the other.I am spending more time actually trying to configure an unstressfull user experience than actually 'experiencing' it!

I am thinking their must be something wrong with the install or maybe this is just the nature of the beast of an open-source project such as this?

The RPI is really a nerd's plaything to tinker around with and for that it's great.
If you want something cheap to use for Kodi streaming addons just grab one of the cheap Android boxes and install the SPMC version of Kodi on it. I recently bought a £21 MXQ box and it plays everything perfectly except for the occasional divx that I still have laying around for the kids. It makes the RPI3 seem like an expensive luxury after you have bought the extra psu, case, remote control and sdcard. Smile
Just make sure you don't try to hotplug the hdmi cable. It is not happy with that.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - bry - 2016-04-06

(2016-04-02, 16:29)canuck75 Wrote:
(2016-04-01, 18:11)bry- Wrote: Can somebody with a google nexus player test to see if this add-on works on SPMC for me?

The add-on works perfectly on both SPMC and kodi using the Nexus player.

thanks @canuck75 - i'll have access to the nexus player again today to try and test again.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - speedwell68 - 2016-04-06

(2016-04-05, 12:42)Wolfman Wrote: I have the iPlayer WWW installed in OSMC on my Pi3.

How are you connecting to the internet? Wifi or ethernet?