Kodi Community Forum
kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu (/showthread.php?tid=314914)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu - Prof Yaffle - 2017-05-24

Problem identified, fix in progress. Sit tight.

RE: kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu - jadedcyborg - 2017-05-24

(2017-05-24, 17:02)fritsch Wrote: For now happens on outdated linux distribution with outdated gcc - never the less - we are looking into it.

This my deb-line in sources.list
Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu trusty main

Note how it says "trusty". That means packages released there are supposed to be tested on Trusty. This is clearly not the case here, as you've already figured out the problem is with an old (not outdated) version of libstdc++6, which is the default on Trusty. Your code depends on a newer version of the library which is not present on Trusty.

I would strongly encourage you to in the future:
1. Properly test your packages on the distributions you're releasing them for.
2. Retain a few older versions in the repository so users can downgrade in case this happens again.

This has really ruined my evening since my Kodi install is broken and I cannot downgrade to the previous version since it's no longer present in the repository nor my local package cache.

RE: kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu - pcaroselli - 2017-05-24

(2017-05-23, 08:01)DaVu Wrote: please do 'exactly' the following. Just copy and paste the commands to your command line to rule out typos!!!!:

Code:
sudo apt-get install pastebinit
this will install a service we will need for further commands

After the next command, you will get an URL as an ouput. Post that URL (and all further URLs from other commands) in your next posting

Code:
apt-cache policy kodi | pastebinit

Code:
ls -al ~/ | pastebinit

Code:
ls -al /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ | pastebinit
Hi, have you any other suggestion ?

the same

lino@lino ~ $ kodi
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::regex_error'
what(): regex_error
Aborted (core dumped)

I wanted to say that after the cmd 'apt-cache policy kodi | pastebinit' give by DaVu the system gives this " Bad API request, invalid api_dev_key "

@pcaroselli Don't bother, the issue is already identified and a fix is under way but for now we're left hanging.

RE: kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu - wsnipex - 2017-05-24

(2017-05-24, 20:20)jadedcyborg Wrote:
(2017-05-24, 17:02)fritsch Wrote: For now happens on outdated linux distribution with outdated gcc - never the less - we are looking into it.

This my deb-line in sources.list
Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu trusty main

Note how it says "trusty". That means packages released there are supposed to be tested on Trusty. This is clearly not the case here, as you've already figured out the problem is with an old (not outdated) version of libstdc++6, which is the default on Trusty. Your code depends on a newer version of the library which is not present on Trusty.

I would strongly encourage you to in the future:
1. Properly test your packages on the distributions you're releasing them for.
2. Retain a few older versions in the repository so users can downgrade in case this happens again.

This has really ruined my evening since my Kodi install is broken and I cannot downgrade to the previous version since it's no longer present in the repository nor my local package cache.

ad 1) how about we instead drop support for old and outdated distros and only release for versions we use ourselves and therefore test the builds.
ad 2) You cannot, launchpad automatically removes superseded versions. You can usually still find the debs for a couple of hours if you know exactly where to look

(2017-05-24, 21:43)wsnipex Wrote: ad 1) how about we instead drop support for old and outdated distros and only release for versions we use ourselves and therefore test the builds.
ad 2) You cannot, launchpad automatically removes superseded versions. You can usually still find the debs for a couple of hours if you know exactly where to look

1) That's a bit douchy, but that's your choice. Some of us use LTS-versions for a reason.
2) Then don't use launchpad or test before releasing in the stable repo.

RE: kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu - fritsch - 2017-05-24

+1 for 1) on removal of outdated operating systems not even providing proper c++11 support

RE: kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu - fritsch - 2017-05-24

(2017-05-24, 22:28)jadedcyborg Wrote:
(2017-05-24, 21:43)wsnipex Wrote: ad 1) how about we instead drop support for old and outdated distros and only release for versions we use ourselves and therefore test the builds.

1) That's a bit douchy, but that's your choice. Some of us use LTS-versions for a reason.
2) Then don't use launchpad or test before releasing in the stable repo.

1) Is one of the reason: Ancient gcc without proper c++11 support?
2) Will make an internal vote to only support latest LTS version - saves us a lot of trouble.

RE: kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu - Martijn - 2017-05-24

2) Then we ourselves would need to install old LTS version. Only few hands and people so not gonna happen.
I vote for 1) as well. Kill it for v18

RE: kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu - nickr - 2017-05-24

IMHO we should support LTS.

RE: kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu - bubbsy2002 - 2017-05-25

Hello to Kodi team,

Really appreciate the fix, everything is all back to the way it should be.

Thanks.

RE: kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu - yoav - 2017-05-25

Verified that 17.2+git20170524.2105-final-0trusty from the current repository fixes the problem. Thanks, Kodi team!

RE: kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu - ajuser - 2017-05-25

Kodi team:

Thank you very much for quickly fixing this problem. Regarding your threats to cease supporting LTS versions of Ubuntu, I would hope that you don't do so. One of the substantial benefits of Kodi, particularly when run on a Linux machine, is the ability to run a full-fledged home theater system on older computers. It would be a shame to lose all the users who use such configurations, as well as to lose the good reputation that Kodi has built up over the years.

Again, many thanks for the quick fix.

RE: kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu - wsnipex - 2017-05-25

to the users that demand support for old LTS versions (currently 14.04). Do you see major version upgrades of any software in the official ubuntu repos?
The answer is no, because LTS on ubuntu only means that the state of the distro at release time is maintained. i.e. security and bugfixes only.
And if you don't know: Only for the ubuntu main repos, not universe or multiverse.

People are very quick to demand support and thorough testing from us, but usually have no idea what that really means in terms of work.
Old distros require a substantial amount of backporting dependencies for kodi to even build. Sometimes getting those dependencies to build requires even more backporting of their deps in turn...
If you take the time to look at our launchpad PPAs, you might notice that I am the only one that is doing all the packaging, so please keep your demands in relation to that.

RE: kodi 17 installed but will not launch in ubuntu - nickr - 2017-05-25

So if there are any users that intimately understand both the kodi build system and the ubuntu launchpad system want to step up... ?