Kodi Community Forum
Timeshift Support - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Tvheadend (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=168)
+---- Thread: Timeshift Support (/showthread.php?tid=147002)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Timeshift Support - adamsutton - 2013-01-10

@basco No not yet, I've not had a chance to try replicating it, but several minor fixes have been applied.

Adam

RE: Timeshift Support - bluzee - 2013-01-11

When I hit play again after it's been paused in XBMC is plays fine for a couple seconds, then starts stopping to buffer every second. Any way to adjust the buffer on that? If I record and then go back and play the recording while it records there is no problem.

RE: Timeshift Support - Begall - 2013-01-11

I also did a quick test just after all the Timeshift stuff had been pulled into main. I used XBMC Windows RC3, with whatever PVR client version came with that. I was able to pause the stream successfully, with TVH recognising that it had been paused. However after a few seconds the client disconnected & reconnected, and when the stream was unpaused it skipped forward to the live stream.

Edit: Oh and this was with On-Demand selected in TVH, with a buffer limit of 1000MB on /dev/shm

RE: Timeshift Support - basco - 2013-01-11

@bluzee
did you check if actual timeshift buffer files where written to you harddisk?

RE: Timeshift Support - bluzee - 2013-01-11

I set my storage path to ~/Videos. When I hit pause it starts writing files in ~/Videos/buffer/1 The files are named tvh-* A new file about every second. The glitches I see must be the video player switching to a new file every second. Why not just write it to one file?

Edit: No, I guess it's writing all the time. Should enable on demand I guess.
Edit2: Yah, on demand only writes when I hit pause. I see why they want to write to multiple files. Not sure how to make it play back smoothly doing that though.

RE: Timeshift Support - basco - 2013-01-11

Adam will magically make it happen Wink

RE: Timeshift Support - adamsutton - 2013-01-11

What system is this running on? The reason for the multiple files will become more apparent in later versions (its to do with efficient sharing between multiple clients - but that's a way of yet).

Most people have had no such problems, it would have to be a pretty awful system (with crap IO) for file open to cause noticeable delays. Though I guess its possible.

Adam

RE: Timeshift Support - FutureCow - 2013-01-11

@bluzee

You need to update pvr.hts. Their was a problem in 1.6.10 (the version inside RC3)
So update to 1.6.11 or above (1.6.16 = current)

RE: Timeshift Support - bluzee - 2013-01-12

(2013-01-11, 23:27)adamsutton Wrote: What system is this running on? The reason for the multiple files will become more apparent in later versions (its to do with efficient sharing between multiple clients - but that's a way of yet).

Most people have had no such problems, it would have to be a pretty awful system (with crap IO) for file open to cause noticeable delays. Though I guess its possible.

Adam

Well, if anyone can break something it's me. Multiple files is a good idea. I like it.

System: Intel Core2 Duo E6750 2.66 Ghz 2Gb ram Intel P35 chipset GT210 Nvidia Mint 14
Video Stream: MPEG2 1080i 4:2:2 chroma 34Mb/s CPU usage around 50%
HTS Tvheadend 3.3.344~g5ba4b66

I moved the timeshift directory to it's own hard drive and problem appears to be solved. Moved it back to my home dir and major glitchy play back once again. So IO it is.

Thanks

P.S. Seek buttons are still not functional. Is that not finished yet or do I need a newer XBMC? Edit: Found the answer. Disabled because not working yet.

RE: Timeshift Support - bluzee - 2013-01-12

(2013-01-11, 13:33)Begall Wrote: I also did a quick test just after all the Timeshift stuff had been pulled into main. I used XBMC Windows RC3, with whatever PVR client version came with that. I was able to pause the stream successfully, with TVH recognising that it had been paused. However after a few seconds the client disconnected & reconnected, and when the stream was unpaused it skipped forward to the live stream.

Edit: Oh and this was with On-Demand selected in TVH, with a buffer limit of 1000MB on /dev/shm

I just upgraded to RC3 Linux. Installed the extra tvheadend pvr plugin. I get the same exact thing. After a few seconds disconnect and reconnect. With on-demand the data stops writing, without it starts writing again but when you hit play again it only plays a few seconds and then you appear to get kicked back to live TV. Going back to XBMC RC2. I think it's OK.

RE: Timeshift Support - FutureCow - 2013-01-13

Did you even read my post? Smile

RE: Timeshift Support - bluzee - 2013-01-13

I read it. Not really sure what to make of it. RC3 doesn't come with pvr.hts you have to install the pvr addon packages seperately. The changelog in the most recent pvr.hts in the unstable ppa still says 1.6.10. What ppa are you pulling from?

Edit: Ok, I found a git for pvr addons. Built those and all is well. Thank you for your help.

RE: Timeshift Support - oneadvent - 2013-01-13

Since this is master I do not need to do the branch checkout anymore right? Just compile with --enable-timeshift?

RE: Timeshift Support - xoox - 2013-01-13

--enable-timeshift is default. You can omit it.

RE: Timeshift Support - basco - 2013-01-16

an update on my findings so far

HTS Tvheadend 3.3.386~ga57eb8b
xbmc 12.0-rc3 git:0ab56a7 (jan 13) wsnipex

enabled timeshift and on-demand

i'm zapping as fast as i can, no crashes.
works great.
one small thing: sometimes when i press pause... and wait a few seconds... and press play... the video resumes playing 1 second, then stops 10+ seconds, then continues playing while maintaining the time shift.
this seems to happen only the first time i zap to a channel and start timeshift (press pause) the 2nd time i press pause there is no delay.