Kodi Community Forum
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Feature Discussion (read-only) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+--- Thread: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015] (/showthread.php?tid=189031)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - Martijn - 2015-03-03

(2015-03-03, 12:24)mad-max Wrote:
(2015-03-03, 12:04)Montellese Wrote: You still need a place where you can choose which weather addon you'd like to use. That's actually the only thing the "Weather" section/category is there for right now.
If you have a section for scrapers, where you can choose which scraper shall be used for each section, there might also be the check for which weather addon to use?

It's a kind of media so perhaps as subsection of media management

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - Piers - 2015-03-03

(2015-03-03, 12:29)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-03-03, 12:04)Montellese Wrote: You still need a place where you can choose which weather addon you'd like to use. That's actually the only thing the "Weather" section/category is there for right now.
If you have a section for scrapers, where you can choose which scraper shall be used for each section, there might also be the check for which weather addon to use?

It's a kind of media so perhaps as subsection of media management

Or how about under System? It needs to go somewhere, taking up a whole category seems pointless.

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - mad-max - 2015-03-03

Just a little update what has been done so far and what is still ToDo

Done:
  • Changed general settings.xml to the new layout (final structure still pending)
  • changed platform specific settings.xml to the new structure
  • updated core strings and cleaned unused strings
  • updated settings.xml from Confluence to have the new structure
  • updated strings for Confluence and cleaned unused

ToDo:
  • create new settings window for playback and media (see question below)
  • change description for all strings related to settings.xml (can be only done if final structure is safe)

Question about the new settings windows for playback and media:
Maybe someone with more knowledge about the GUI code can help me out. What I did so far:
  1. Defined both windows in xbmc/guilib/WindowIDs.h
  2. Added the new categories to xbmc/settings/windows/GUIWindowSettingsCategory.cpp
  3. Added the call for the windows in xbmc/input/ButtonTranslator.cpp
  4. changed settings.xml in Confluence to ActivateWindow(PlaybackSettings)

Changes in a temp branch: github - new settings window branch

Problem in log: http://pastebin.com/4gn84fWX

I did not see any further reference, but after building these changes on windows I can click on the new Categories but nothing happens...
Where did I miss something?

PS: Might this thread move to Development?

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - jjd-uk - 2015-03-03

(2015-03-03, 11:53)da-anda Wrote: what about a "meta-data" section unter "media management" thingy - there we could move all scrapers, thumbnail extraction (file lists + chapters), ...

I don't like "Meta-data" as it's too techie in my view, how about "Media Info"?

That makes sense to me as the weather data can be viewed as just another media type with the Weather add-ons effectively performing a similar role as our Movie/TV/Music scrapers.

So weather could be place under Meta-data/Media Info then couldn't it??

(2015-03-03, 17:03)jjd-uk Wrote: That makes sense to me as the weather data can be viewed as just another media type with the Weather add-ons effectively performing a similar role as our Movie/TV/Music scrapers.

So weather could be place under Meta-data/Media Info then couldn't it??

+1 from my side as mentioned before Smile

I've also never like Video Output & Audio Output being stuck under System, yes they are device specific settings and as such System settings, but I've seen many posts from confused newbies that there's video settings for example in two different locations in the UI.

Could these be maybe move into the Playback section?

So something like:

Output & Playback (anyone think of a better name?)
======================================
Audio Output [moved from System]
Video Output [moved from System]
Video Playback [renamed from Video in the current 1st post proposal]
Video Acceleration
DVDs
Subtitles
Music Playback [renamed from Music in the current 1st post proposal]
Audio CDs
Karaoke

IMHO the two locations are just fine...
The settings ins system define the general settings for video "output" and the other one is taking care of playback, which is a bit more internal...

Just my 2 cents...

Just mentioning it as I've seen it confuse newbies.

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - Piers - 2015-03-03

I've seen it confuse people - it certainly confused me when I started using XBMC 10, 12? no idea. But, I think it should stay in 'System' as that defines what I can only describe as 'core' settings for Kodi. That's not the best way of putting it but I hope people understand.

Also long title names = Sad It would be lovely to have 'Playback & Output' but think of how skins would look trying to fit that in, especially with languages that have 400 characters for everyone three characters of English. (maybe an exaggeration)

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - Kib - 2015-03-05

What is truly confusing is how to set the default playback options for video and audio.
eg, from a playing video set it up the way you want, then make it default.... every time I do that something feels very wrong inside Smile

To change that is a little beside this PR, but should really deserve some attention one day.

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - mad-max - 2015-03-06

Just a little bump on my question regarding the creation of new settings windows from http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=189031&pid=1944833#pid1944833

Anybody?

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - Piers - 2015-03-08

(2015-03-06, 10:05)mad-max Wrote: Just a little bump on my question regarding the creation of new settings windows from http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=189031&pid=1944833#pid1944833

Anybody?

Additional bump

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - Montellese - 2015-03-08

(2015-03-03, 16:10)mad-max Wrote: Question about the new settings windows for playback and media:
Maybe someone with more knowledge about the GUI code can help me out. What I did so far:
  1. Defined both windows in xbmc/guilib/WindowIDs.h
  2. Added the new categories to xbmc/settings/windows/GUIWindowSettingsCategory.cpp
  3. Added the call for the windows in xbmc/input/ButtonTranslator.cpp
  4. changed settings.xml in Confluence to ActivateWindow(PlaybackSettings)

Changes in a temp branch: github - new settings window branch

Problem in log: http://pastebin.com/4gn84fWX

I did not see any further reference, but after building these changes on windows I can click on the new Categories but nothing happens...
Where did I miss something?

PS: Might this thread move to Development?

I have to take a look myself. I ran into the same issue when I re-wrote the whole settings system.

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - Montellese - 2015-03-09

I took a look and I don't see why it shouldn't work when you add the proper ActivateWindow calls to confluence.

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - mad-max - 2015-03-09

This Feature Request has been turned into a PR:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6669