Kodi Community Forum
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies (/showthread.php?tid=53888)

- Scott R - 2009-11-10

shabas7 Wrote:What is the best remote for the revo? I would like to pick one up that just works, without having to mess about with drivers and all...
The HP MCE USB receiver can be found quite easily on eBay and should "just work" under XBMC Live.

- Birtybasset - 2009-11-10

Scott R Wrote:The HP MCE USB receiver can be found quite easily on eBay and should "just work" under XBMC Live.

I can confirm that, with the exception of being able to wake it from suspend, it works straight out of the box.

Hulu and Netflix - fig32 - 2009-11-10

I have this up and running and would like to know if anyone can point me in the right direction. I would like to install a plugin for Hulu and Netflix if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks!

- billybarty - 2009-11-10

For an install on a new system, am I better off using the 9.04.1 ISO posted in p1 of this thread or XBMC Live 9.11 Alpha 1?

If it makes a difference, the system is a 2GB / dual core AR3610 system, and the plan is to install to a USB drive or SD card (leaving Win 7 on the hard drive). Video out will be VGA / audio will be analog. Content will be served over the network (ethernet) using SMB.

Thanks for any help / advice.

1080P Baby! - darrynj - 2009-11-11

Qooop Wrote:Every time I try to modify the xorg.conf, in fact every time I log in with Putty and give it a root password, next reboot it goes to a text mode instead of booting up XBMC. I don't know how to get past that. Everything I can find on Linux assumes you have enough knowledge to get a program started. I have no knowledge of Ubuntu so for now I am stuck staring at some tty1 thing. Then I have to reinstall once again. And the Camelot install CD version goes straight to the text mode after the menu screen. Same exact problem.

Hey Qooop, I got it working! I am at work but will write it up for everyone tonight. The text mode thing is because the xorg.conf is wrong - if you put your original xorg.conf back then you will have the old settings back and at least be able to watch media.

- ehmormaht - 2009-11-11

Scott R Wrote:I hope that's not true. I bought a cable-less USB IR receiver dongle specifically with the intention of plugging it into that port.

My "hidden" USB port works fine. I have xbmc live running off a thumb drive in it as I type.

I was wondering if anyone has found an "optimal" setting for xbmc live on the revo. Specifically for .mkv files.

- Qooop - 2009-11-12

darrynj Wrote:Hey Qooop, I got it working! I am at work but will write it up for everyone tonight. The text mode thing is because the xorg.conf is wrong - if you put your original xorg.conf back then you will have the old settings back and at least be able to watch media.

Awesome, looking forward to your solution.

- schneidz - 2009-11-12

ehmormaht Wrote:My "hidden" USB port works fine. I have xbmc live running off a thumb drive in it as I type.

I was wondering if anyone has found an "optimal" setting for xbmc live on the revo. Specifically for .mkv files.

what runs faster: booting xbmc-live from usb, from the hard drive, or from the sd card ?

- Lumpsack - 2009-11-12

Anyone else having problems with sound dropping out for less than a second every few minutes?

I've raised the issue elsewhere but I'm not getting any feedback.

- DataFran - 2009-11-13

Okay, I got myself some new RAM to install on my Acer Aspire Revo AR1600-U910H, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to open it. I don't seem to have a "do not open me" sticker on the outside, and the only screw I can see is underneath where the stand hooks in.

Can anyone help?

--
Francis

- Qooop - 2009-11-13

DataFran Wrote:Okay, I got myself some new RAM to install on my Acer Aspire Revo AR1600-U910H, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to open it. I don't seem to have a "do not open me" sticker on the outside, and the only screw I can see is underneath where the stand hooks in.

Can anyone help?

--
Francis

You have to take out the little screw, then pry it open along the white case seam line with a small flat head screwdriver or similar tool. Not the black panel. Work it around once you see it give and you get a couple fingers in there, work it all the way around. It pops open all the way around.

It's easy once you get the seam to give a little.

- Scott R - 2009-11-13

Qooop, it sounds like you've done this. So can you (or anyone) tell me the exact specs of the included RAM so that we know what type/speed we should order if we want to match it exactly? FWIW, I have the 1GB ($200) model Revo, so hopefully that's the one you've got.

- myrison - 2009-11-13

Scott R Wrote:Qooop, it sounds like you've done this. So can you (or anyone) tell me the exact specs of the included RAM so that we know what type/speed we should order if we want to match it exactly? FWIW, I have the 1GB ($200) model Revo, so hopefully that's the one you've got.

I think this is what you were looking for, the first post in this thread mentioned this:

Quote:1) Add an extra 1gig of RAM: (Crucial 1GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Laptop Memory)

Jason

- keystroke - 2009-11-13

Troubles with booting XBMC Live from USB stick? Me too...

Here is what worked for me on the Revo 1600.

Follow the directions in the tutorial to set your BIOS config to boot from "Removable Drive". (Another good tip not in the tutorial is to remove all other boot options so that if USB boot fails it quits trying to boot to !@#$%$ Windows).

Reboot again, but this time hit F12 at teh first splash screen (instead of Delete)

This will present you with a menu to select your boot device. For me, it was the internal HDD or "Sandisk Cruzer" (my USB stick). Select whatever corresponds to your USB device. Hit enter.

The box will reboot again, but this time it will boot to the first XBMC menu screen. Great success.

Best wishes and I hope this helps.

(Yeah, I am too cheap to go buy a USB DVD drive just to boot my HTPC 1x)

- lee551 - 2009-11-13

schneidz Wrote:what runs faster: booting xbmc-live from usb, from the hard drive, or from the sd card ?

i'd also like to know which config has the best boot times and best performance between the three. has anyone tried all 3 methods?

i'd really like to dual-boot xbmc live and win7, but i don't think its possible to install both on the harddrive... yet.