Kodi Community Forum
Sumvision Cyclone X4 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Sumvision Cyclone X4 (/showthread.php?tid=208233)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Sumvision Cyclone X4 - random999 - 2015-01-08

Hi. I picked up one of these devices in the hope I would be able to bitstream DTS-MA to my receiver... it seems I cannot do so, at least with the supplied firmware. So I tried to update the firmware to the latest openelec release, but it will not update, using the methods described on their site it just does not work... even downloading their own firmware I an unable to update. When I insert the power and repeatedly push on the menu button it jumps straight past the bootloader and loads the currently installed o/s. I don't know what else to try but I am about to send this back, which is a shame as it does play 1080p mkv's quite nicely. am i doing something stupid?

RE: Sumvision Cyclone X4 - D-an-W - 2015-01-08

I have to press the Menu button immediately after applying the power, if you press it then power on the box it doesn't seem to recognise the button being pressed.

RE: Sumvision Cyclone X4 - chrisrbk - 2015-01-08

I struggled at first as you seem to need 3 hands.

I did this,

Pull power plug out of box

Push it back in

Within half a second I started pushing the menu button about 3 times a second until it went into recovery mode.

And that seemed to work.

If not, maybe you could access using putty and type the command: reboot recovery

Thanks. I finally got it to boot into recovery and i've installed openelec. now to work out how to install xbmc on it...

RE: Sumvision Cyclone X4 - bobones - 2015-01-08

What do you mean? Kodi is part of OpenELEC already. You don't need to install it.

RE: Sumvision Cyclone X4 - chrisrbk - 2015-01-08

Check post #93.

Kerber did a build of OE with kodi

Also, which method did you use to enter recovery?

(2015-01-08, 14:31)bobones Wrote: What do you mean? Kodi is part of OpenELEC already. You don't need to install it.

yeah my mistake. I see xbmc has moved on a lot since I last used it many years ago.

(2015-01-08, 14:33)chrisrbk Wrote: Check post #93.

Kerber did a build of OE with kodi

Also, which method did you use to enter recovery?

I found I had to have an sd card in the slot. just using a usb stick wouldn't work for me - it would get to the recovery screen with the menu and seem to hang.

Hmmm so far not going so great... I am connecting via an Onkyo 508 receiver which is capable of dts-ma and true-hd. I am getting very choppy playback and variable signal drops/static, and no sound at all.

Also I guess the bootloader has been overwritten because I am now unable to use the original method to flash a new firmware from sd card. I flashed the TV110 firmware - there are 3 in that directory - I assume I flashed the correct one or it wouldn't even boot right?

I can ssh to the box but there's not much I can do on it. Not sure where to go from here.

RE: Sumvision Cyclone X4 - bobones - 2015-01-09

HD audio bit streaming is not supported by this hardware so uncheck the HD audio passthrough options in the audio output settings.

The 3 firmware files are all the same code, they're just for different deployment methods.

One of my previous posts in this thread notes that the original bootloader needs to be reflashed to restore remote power on/recovery access functionality.

From ssh you can type 'reboot recovery' to get to recovery.

RE: Sumvision Cyclone X4 - chrisrbk - 2015-01-09

you will find your remote doesn't work correctly.... have you read the entire thread?

You will need to use puTTY and the command: reboot recovery

RE: Sumvision Cyclone X4 - random999 - 2015-01-09

Thanks. yes I've read the thread. It don't understand reboot recovery. I can issue a 'reboot recovery' at the shell prompt but all it does is reboots the box, the reboot command doesn't have a recovery parameter.

If there's no way I'm going to get HD audio passthrough to work then I guess this box isn't of much use to me, I should have done my research but it seemed like a good deal at the time. If I can somehow get the stock firmware back on to the box I guess I will send it back for a refund.

Can anyone recommend a similar device that does offer HD audio passthrough?

RE: Sumvision Cyclone X4 - chrisrbk - 2015-01-09

Are you using sd card?

Download putty and log in over ssh.

Then simply type the command reboot recovery

RE: Sumvision Cyclone X4 - random999 - 2015-01-09

Ok, so I've found if I issue a "reboot recovery" from the shell when there is an sdcard with a valid rom on the card then it will attempt to boot into a recovery install. I tried the official x4 firmware but it still booted into openelec.

bobones i saw your post #93 about the bootloader - i downloaded both files from your dropbox onto an sdcard, i rebooted into recovery and got a "team win recovery project" menu... I attempted to upload the bootloader.zip file which it seemed to do successfully. I then rebooted but it obviously hadn't done anything because it came up with the same "minix" bootloader and still boots into openelec.

Doing some research this afternoon it appears the only way to get HD audio passthrough is using an intel NUC, or possibly an asus chromebox with openelec sideloaded... both of which are considerably more expensive than the x4.

RE: Sumvision Cyclone X4 - bobones - 2015-01-10

If you've flashed the original bootloader then power on and access to recovery from remote should work. Flashing the bootloader does not affect the boot logo so you still see the Minix logo. (I've put the Sumvision logo back on my box).

I would suggest using the TWRP recovery image on a SD card instead of the Android recovery program as there are more options.

Of the 3 OpenELEC image files, 1 is an auto-install (zip), 1 is an recovery update package (update.zip) and the other (tar) is for in place upgrade from an existing OpenELEC install using the SMB share \\openelec\Update. If you use the update.zip package it will not auto-install so you need to use recovery menu to select this type of package.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the line the board ID has changed from m201 to S82b in the OpeELEC f/w so flashing the original Android f/w will not work because the Android install script checks to see if is being used on an m201 board and finds the answer is S82b,

One way round this is to restore a TWRP backup of the original Android f/w. I have such a backup and I am current uploading it to my dropbox. To use, extract the files in the TWRP.zip file onto an SD card, boot into TWRP recovery, then (using a mouse) restore the 1988-02-22--04-02-43 KOT49H.20141112 test-keys package from the zip file. This should get you back to the factory state with your x4.

I don't have an HD capable receiver so I am more than happy with standard DD and DTS pass though, which works perfectly on the X4. I have read that the Amlogic S812-H SOC will support HD pass though, but I'm not sure if there are any f/w available that allow it to work.

RE: Sumvision Cyclone X4 - TheLegendOfMart - 2015-01-10

Does anyone else get bad screen tearing using this rom?

All theme animations when they animate vertically I get really bad screen tearing.

I've tried to enable Vsync always on but doesn't make any difference.