Kodi Community Forum
Beta Arctic Horizon 2 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: Beta Arctic Horizon 2 (/showthread.php?tid=367352)

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - SwedishHeat - 2022-10-24

(2022-10-24, 05:39)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2022-10-23, 07:37)SwedishHeat Wrote: Just want to see if this is a bug, or something that can be fixed.

On this skin, the posters are cropped too tightly. I've attached a comparison in other skins to show it's not an issue with my artwork, it displays at the proper ratio on other skins ... but I don't like the other skins as much as this one Smile

There are no standard poster sizes. TVdb and FanartTV both enforce different ratios, and TMDb does not enforce a specific ratio. As poster sizing varies depending on site, there is no such thing as a "proper ratio"

FanartTV posters are enforced as 1:1.426
TVdb posters are enforced as 1:1.470
TMDb posters are preferred 1:1.5 but 1:1.33 and 1:1.41 are also accepted

I generally try to aim for the TVdb ratio as that is the middle ground. Some leeway is given depending on the demands of the view. For instance, the standard poster rows actually use 1:1474 not 1:1470 (but it is pretty close). As long as I fall somewhere between FanartTV 1:1.426 and TMDb 1:1.5 sizing I feel that is acceptable.

The Big Poster view has a slightly wider ratio than standard Poster Row due to the alignment and spacing demands of the view. The Big Poster is sized at 475x680 which is 1:1.432 and so closer to the FanartTV sizing. Still, it is well within the acceptable bounds.

As there is no standardised poster ratio (unlike fanart which is always 16:9), you should choose poster artwork that provides some form of image gutter bleed and avoids pushing text right up to the spine seam.
Thank you for explaining.

I have one other question. Is there a way to have the movies library with a separate view from the set/collection view? For example, my main library is Poster Wall, but the collection is Poster Row? Anytime I choose the view of a set/collection as Poster Row, it sets that same view as the main movie library? On the latest update there is an option to customize viewtypes, but even that doesn't seem to create separate views for the two libraries.

In the TV library, I can set it to Poster Wall, and the seasons as Landscape Infolist and it sticks, two separate views, but it doesn't work like that in the Movie library. Is that correct? If so, can it be changed. Or is there something wrong on my end.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - nazim12 - 2022-10-25

I love this skin , 
some things which i need for my personal prefrence
1- Removing Black shadow ( Dim screen )while pausing a player , Its Really annoying whenever I pause screen, it get dim .
2 - Can u add spotlight for first row widget like Google TV interface
3 - Why Feature Poster not icluded in view type other then home screen widget style ? although big poster is there but it get big only when u hover it .
4 - Need to load widget faster like netflix , its a slow loader

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - jurialmunkey - 2022-10-25

(2022-10-24, 16:58)SwedishHeat Wrote:
(2022-10-24, 05:39)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2022-10-23, 07:37)SwedishHeat Wrote: Just want to see if this is a bug, or something that can be fixed.

On this skin, the posters are cropped too tightly. I've attached a comparison in other skins to show it's not an issue with my artwork, it displays at the proper ratio on other skins ... but I don't like the other skins as much as this one Smile

There are no standard poster sizes. TVdb and FanartTV both enforce different ratios, and TMDb does not enforce a specific ratio. As poster sizing varies depending on site, there is no such thing as a "proper ratio"

FanartTV posters are enforced as 1:1.426
TVdb posters are enforced as 1:1.470
TMDb posters are preferred 1:1.5 but 1:1.33 and 1:1.41 are also accepted

I generally try to aim for the TVdb ratio as that is the middle ground. Some leeway is given depending on the demands of the view. For instance, the standard poster rows actually use 1:1474 not 1:1470 (but it is pretty close). As long as I fall somewhere between FanartTV 1:1.426 and TMDb 1:1.5 sizing I feel that is acceptable.

The Big Poster view has a slightly wider ratio than standard Poster Row due to the alignment and spacing demands of the view. The Big Poster is sized at 475x680 which is 1:1.432 and so closer to the FanartTV sizing. Still, it is well within the acceptable bounds.

As there is no standardised poster ratio (unlike fanart which is always 16:9), you should choose poster artwork that provides some form of image gutter bleed and avoids pushing text right up to the spine seam.
Thank you for explaining.

I have one other question. Is there a way to have the movies library with a separate view from the set/collection view? For example, my main library is Poster Wall, but the collection is Poster Row? Anytime I choose the view of a set/collection as Poster Row, it sets that same view as the main movie library? On the latest update there is an option to customize viewtypes, but even that doesn't seem to create separate views for the two libraries.

In the TV library, I can set it to Poster Wall, and the seasons as Landscape Infolist and it sticks, two separate views, but it doesn't work like that in the Movie library. Is that correct? If so, can it be changed. Or is there something wrong on my end.

The viewtypes are set via skinvariables script according to content type. The content type *inside* a collection is movies, so it will be the same as the movies content type elsewhere in the library. The reason you can set different views for tvshows/seasons/episodes is because those have separate content types.

The alternative (which won't be an option) is Kodi's default behaviour where *every* folder has its own viewtype. I really dislike that behaviour because there's no consistency and the viewtypes end up randomly reseting in places.

The downside of the skinvariables approach is that you can't have that finer grain settings but ultimately I think it is much better to only have to set a viewtype once rather than for every single folder.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - jurialmunkey - 2022-10-25

(2022-10-25, 00:10)nazim12 Wrote: I love this skin , 
some things which i need for my personal prefrence
1- Removing Black shadow ( Dim screen )while pausing a player , Its Really annoying whenever I pause screen, it get dim .
2 - Can u add spotlight for first row widget like Google TV interface
3 - Why Feature Poster not icluded in view type other then home screen widget style ? although big poster is there but it get big only when u hover it .
4 - Need to load widget faster like netflix , its a slow loader

1. No, it is needed for visibility of elements.
2. No idea what this means
3. Because it is a widget style, not a viewtype.
4. Skins don't control how fast your content loads. Complain to the author of whatever addons you are using. Kodi library content will load practically instantly, so the slow loading of your widgets have absolutely nothing to do with Kodi or the Skin.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - gil80 - 2022-10-25

@jurialmunkey 
Hi mate,
Thanks for the great work on the skin.
I have two issues:
1. When I try to update to the latest version, my screen goes blank and it never recovers and the update never really finishes.
2. The UI and search functions and loading of streaming content are extremely slow, it might take 2 minutes for things to load.

I use Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 with Kodi running on an external SSD attached to it.
Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?
p.s. - kodi is on a fresh install. I use Kodi Maven build.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - FOXYZ - 2022-10-25

(2022-10-25, 09:00)gil80 Wrote: @jurialmunkey 
Hi mate,
I have two issues:
1. When I try to update to the latest version, my screen goes blank and it never recovers and the update never really finishes.
2. The UI and search functions and loading of streaming content are extremely slow, it might take 2 minutes for things to load.

I use Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 with Kodi running on an external SSD attached to it.

I do have a Nvidia Shield Pro 2019, which works fairly well with Kodi + AH2. By noticing you're using a Maven Build, can you try to use a normal Kodi build ? Just saying because i tried too in the same setup the maven builds, and i found them always crazy slow compared to the official Kodi ones. 
Like even the UI is a bit slow by scrolling and focusing on items from widgets.

(2022-10-25, 13:59)FOXYZ Wrote:
Hi mate,
I have two issues:

I do have a Nvidia Shield Pro 2019, which works fairly well with Kodi + AH2. By noticing you're using a Maven Build, can you try to use a normal Kodi build ? Just saying because i tried too in the same setup the maven builds, and i found them always crazy slow compared to the official Kodi ones. 
yeah, you might have a point there.
the reason for the Maven build is the ability to play Dolby Vision on .mkv files.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - FOXYZ - 2022-10-25

(2022-10-25, 14:52)gil80 Wrote:
(2022-10-25, 13:59)FOXYZ Wrote:
Hi mate,
I have two issues:

the reason for the Maven build is the ability to play Dolby Vision on .mkv files.

Yeah i suspected that to be honest Smile it's the main reason why people install the Maven ones. Trust me, with the regular Kodi build, it goes really fast and smooth on Shield. 
For Dolby Vision, the other ( not best ofc ) solution it's to use and external player, but yeah, it's not well integrated of course.
Finger crossed for Kodi 21 , not even 20 (Nexus). Afaik Nesux won't have the FFMpeg updated to 5.x, necessary for Dolby Vision inside MKV container.. Sad

(2022-10-25, 15:37)FOXYZ Wrote:
(2022-10-25, 14:52)gil80 Wrote:
(2022-10-25, 13:59)FOXYZ Wrote: I do have a Nvidia Shield Pro 2019, which works fairly well with Kodi + AH2. By noticing you're using a Maven Build, can you try to use a normal Kodi build ? Just saying because i tried too in the same setup the maven builds, and i found them always crazy slow compared to the official Kodi ones. 

Yeah i suspected that to be honest Smile it's the main reason why people install the Maven ones. Trust me, with the regular Kodi build, it goes really fast and smooth on Shield. 
For Dolby Vision, the other ( not best ofc ) solution it's to use and external player, but yeah, it's not well integrated of course.
Finger crossed for Kodi 21 , not even 20 (Nexus). Afaik Nesux won't have the FFMpeg updated to 5.x, necessary for Dolby Vision inside MKV container.. Sad

Ok so testing AH2 with official Kodi 19.4 build.
Scrapers searches like TMDbHelper are super slow like it never finished so I have to quit Kodi.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - Zurg - 2022-10-25

Hi, today I tried to add some widgets and I wasn't able to enable autoscroll for fullscreen widgest with style different from fullscreen ex. poster or landscape. I'm missing something ?

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - Blackysb - 2022-10-25

@gil80 Maven also has a nexus build with dolby vision, i haven't tried it but I can tell you the official Nexus Alpha 3 works extremely fast with this skin and compatible addons. Very noticeable difference from Matrix.

(2022-10-25, 20:34)Blackysb Wrote: @gil80 Maven also has a nexus build with dolby vision, i haven't tried it but I can tell you the official Nexus Alpha 3 works extremely fast with this skin and compatible addons. Very noticeable difference from Matrix.

Thanks for the tip.
I just tried it now and it seems to ignore the xbmc_enc.properties file I created for Kodi as a symlink to test multiple builds.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - jurialmunkey - 2022-10-26

I'll reiterate again...

A skin has very little to do with the loading of content. A skin determines the *appearance* of the content *after* it has loaded. It does not manage how or when content loads.

The only connection between a skin and content loading is defining which library/plugin path goes in which widget container. Kodi manages requesting the listitems from the library or plugin according to the path defined. That plugin (or library) is in charge of retrieving the metadata from the internet (or database) and formatting it appropriately before handing it back to Kodi. Once Kodi has the full directory of items from the plugin or library, it then loads those items into the container and displays them according to the skin's itemlayout definition.

The skin has practically no impact on the loading process. On a low powered device like a raspberry pi, a demanding skin *might* create a cpu bottleneck where *everything* slows down because there aren't enough resources. But that's the only real impact a skin can have.

And, importantly, plugins typically are not cpu demanding anyway as all they do is format text metadata from a server. The majority of "loading" time by plugins is usually idle time waiting for the server to respond with the requested data.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - FOXYZ - 2022-10-26

(2022-10-25, 20:13)gil80 Wrote:
(2022-10-25, 15:37)FOXYZ Wrote:
(2022-10-25, 14:52)gil80 Wrote: yeah, you might have a point there.

Ok so testing AH2 with official Kodi 19.4 build.
Scrapers searches like TMDbHelper are super slow like it never finished so I have to quit Kodi.

On Shield, TMDbHelper it's indeed a bit slower compare to a computer or a even more powerful box set.
But nothing that can be done in that department from jurialmunkey. It's more how lists are handled on Android, as far as I understood. 

On my end, it takes a good amount of time the first load of hubs, but scraping or other loading time, it's fairly ok. 
I can record a clip tonight to show the loading time on my end if you want to. 

Again, nothing that the skin can solve.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - Ismadder1 - 2022-10-26

this skin is awesome, ive managed to get this skin working perfectly with disney plus add-on the only thing would like is be able to add the addon commands click menu buttons to the widgets is this possible, or to get the disney plus plot info, thanks for your hard work