Kodi Community Forum
Mascot Contest - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Mascot Contest (/showthread.php?tid=100434)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

- Geeba - 2011-05-20

Call me a grouch but I'm just not feeling mascot.... some very good designs but mascots to me are a bit "Peter Griffin" with Gary the no trash Cougar.... Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lepf82ZuITw

A Bee - Skram0 - 2011-05-20

I think the mascot should be a bee. Like a little bumble bee or something. I'm not good at drawing things from scratch, but I can create some good photoshop stuff. Can anyone draw a good bumble bee??

- stoli - 2011-05-20

Zappy as a bumble bee! Smile

- x23piracy - 2011-05-21

- stoli - 2011-05-21

Ban him! Lol

- radiantdreamer - 2011-05-21

Hello everyone! Here's my entry:

Some questions that may need answering:

Why a human?
XBMC is always striving to evolve and improve their technology. Their image and skins all have a high level of sophistication. A human represents that sophistication and strive very well. It's also easier to identify with.

Why a girl?
A mascot is used to reach a target demographic and appeal to them. The majority of XBMC users are probably male. Guys like girls. Girls are attractive.
If race cars can have race queens, why can't XBMC?

Why anime?
A large number of XBMC users are anime fans. Also, anime is a very appealing and consistent style making it easy to identify with.
Anime has increased in popularity. Big enough for Toyota to use Miku Hatsune to represent their new Corolla in North America.

Someone had mentioned here before, the majority of XBMC users are not tinkerers, and don't participate in the forums very much, just like those who are buying the "Set it and Forget it" OpenELEC HTPC. What appeals to them is very different from what appeals to forum-goers. I think this is an important point that needs emphasizing, and also the main reason why I went with this mascot. What do you guys think?

- x23piracy - 2011-05-21

Hi,

stoli Wrote:Ban him! Lol

where is your humor? Smile

Greetz X23

- stoli - 2011-05-21

x23piracy Wrote:Hi,

where is your humor? Smile

Greetz X23

Next up: Barney!

- ubuntuf4n - 2011-05-21

radiantdreamer Wrote:Hello everyone! Here's my entry:

Some questions that may need answering:

Why a human?
XBMC is always striving to evolve and improve their technology. Their image and skins all have a high level of sophistication. A human represents that sophistication and strive very well. It's also easier to identify with.

Why a girl?
A mascot is used to reach a target demographic and appeal to them. The majority of XBMC users are probably male. Guys like girls. Girls are attractive.
If race cars can have race queens, why can't XBMC?

Why anime?
A large number of XBMC users are anime fans. Also, anime is a very appealing and consistent style making it easy to identify with.
Anime has increased in popularity. Big enough for Toyota to use Miku Hatsune to represent their new Corolla in North America.

Someone had mentioned here before, the majority of XBMC users are not tinkerers, and don't participate in the forums very much, just like those who are buying the "Set it and Forget it" OpenELEC HTPC. What appeals to them is very different from what appeals to forum-goers. I think this is an important point that needs emphasizing, and also the main reason why I went with this mascot. What do you guys think?

You have some very good points. Never knew that Toyota made this.
Furthermore I like the real-life appearence of your design.

But I would also like to add, that the kiddy-version seems to be too kiddy-like and on the other hand the adult version seems to be too naughty for general purposes.
Beside that, it could be definetely counted as one of the more appealing concepts. Smile

Cheers

- radiantdreamer - 2011-05-21

ubuntuf4n Wrote:You have some very good points. Never knew that Toyota made this.
Furthermore I like the real-life appearence of your design.

But I would also like to add, that the kiddy-version seems to be too kiddy-like and on the other hand the adult version seems to be too naughty for general purposes.
Beside that, it could be definetely counted as one of the more appealing concepts. Smile

Cheers

Miku is a popular mascot for Yamaha's Vocaloid. That's her origin. Toyota found her popular enough to use to promote their Corolla, I guess.

Hmmm you have a point with the adult version, though easy enough to change a costume to something less naughty, or have an in-between these two versions.

I do like how the simplification of the kiddy version looks as part of the XBMC logo. It's clean and nice, yet detailed enough to see what's going on.

Thanks for commenting! Big Grin

Cheers!

- paul - 2011-05-21

x23piracy Wrote:Image
This man needs a straight jacket and a therapist. I can only hope the devs have better taste. :p

- da-anda - 2011-05-21

First of, that's a really nice piece of artwork - well done.

radiantdreamer Wrote:Miku is a popular mascot for Yamaha's Vocaloid. That's her origin. Toyota found her popular enough to use to promote their Corolla, I guess.
Well, it's a Japanese company, it's a character created by them and it's used for a car targeted at the consumer market that might also like Miku (I personally never heard of her). They won't use it to promote a sports car or one of their Lexus models though. So it really depends on the target audience - and I'm not sure if it fits for the XBMC community - but I can't judge that.

radiantdreamer Wrote:Hmmm you have a point with the adult version, though easy enough to change a costume to something less naughty, or have an in-between these two versions.
I think it's not only the costume, but a little bit also her pose Smile

May I ask why she's dressed up with a cat costume?

- radiantdreamer - 2011-05-22

da-anda Wrote:First of, that's a really nice piece of artwork - well done.

Well, it's a Japanese company, it's a character created by them and it's used for a car targeted at the consumer market that might also like Miku (I personally never heard of her). They won't use it to promote a sports car or one of their Lexus models though. So it really depends on the target audience - and I'm not sure if it fits for the XBMC community - but I can't judge that.

I think it's not only the costume, but a little bit also her pose Smile

May I ask why she's dressed up with a cat costume?

Sorry if I mis-communicated. Miku was created by Yamaha, for their voice synthesizer program called Vocaloid. She has become an incredibly popular character, and somewhat "open source". Users can create vocal music using her voice synthesis data and share it with the world. Here's a sample of one of her songs being played in one of her live concerts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deC2uxu0XA4
(yes, it's basically a holographic virtual singer. My mind was blown)

Toyota merely borrowed the license to her I think. Seeing the huge community of contributors to Miku in terms of fan-art, music, and videos, I figured that could be borrowed for XBMC as well.

Also frequent anthropomorphic characters based on operating systems and game consoles have come about in the form of anime females as well. Even Wikipedia has one. (If you read about her, and the "official" mascot, notice how much more usage Wikipe-tan gets compared to the official mascot)

er... Back on topic, I did borrow the pose from a random race queen photograph. I figured that a bit of stylin' would look good on a T-shirt, but yeah, she's a bit too sexy. ^_^

I've got some other ideas now on what would work better actually. Smile

The cat costume thing was more of an optional idea that I thought would make her unique looking. Plus cats are always going viral. :3

Thanks for the comment!

- da-anda - 2011-05-22

radiantdreamer Wrote:...Here's a sample of one of her songs being played in one of her live concerts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deC2uxu0XA4
(yes, it's basically a holographic virtual singer. My mind was blown)

OMG - this is nuts (cool display though)

- Lordygg - 2011-05-23

Good job everyone
Here more of Boocy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62813111@N08/5751191141/