[RELEASE] Rapier 4.00 RC1 for XBMC Eden - Printable Version
+- Kodi Community Forum (http://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Rapier (/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rapier 4.00 RC1 for XBMC Eden (/showthread.php?tid=100882)
- activate - 2011-06-22 03:06
Scarfa, thanks for the update. I am running on the nightlies on atv2. Am getting the dependencies not met error when I try to install it, even though beta 1 was running on it. If it is the favourites and the recently added scripts, does it not download the dependencies on installation. Anyway, is it the addon.xml file that I need to add them to.
- loggio - 2011-06-22 05:30
It's the tv logos script. Just install the skin manually.
- scarfa - 2011-06-22 06:17
activate Wrote:Scarfa, thanks for the update. I am running on the nightlies on atv2. Am getting the dependencies not met error when I try to install it, even though beta 1 was running on it. If it is the favourites and the recently added scripts, does it not download the dependencies on installation. Anyway, is it the addon.xml file that I need to add them to.
Not running nightlies but I think the addons repo for nightlies is separate from stable so some scripts might not have been updated and marked compatible to go into that repo.
I should point out that Rapier hasn't been made to work with anything other than current stable although I am interested to know how well it works with nightlies.
Couple of suggestions as long time Rapier user - nmirza - 2011-06-22 16:14
Ive been using the Rapier skins with the majority of my htpc's xbmc life, and without this skin i would probably give up on xbmc. Nothing else quite accomplishes the subtle balances this skin does. That being said, a couple of suggestions:
1-Top bar. I love in the original rapier the option to have top white bar. It gives the screens a very nice contrast and a break in the blueness. I just can't used to no top white bar in the new rapier. Can you lease add that back, or atleast an option to. if there is, i havent been able to find it.
2-Home screen background. I loved the default textured blue background of rapier. Not too bright, not too dark, not plain, but also nothing too distracting. I have to say im not a fan of the new plain blue background. Not only is the hue off, its a bit too bright to use comfortably, and doesnt have that nice texture of the original. Can you make the old background the default, or tell me where to get the old background and i will begrudgingly manually set it.
3-Is there some way to set an option in skin something along the lines of "show osd on pause/rewind/forward". When watching movies, i hate pausing or rewinding or forwarding and seeing exactly how much time is left in move/tv show. I manually go into an xml file and remove some show osd options. this way, when i press prause it doesnt show osd, but if i press menu it does, which works perfectly. Everytime i update a skin i have to manually edit the file. any chance you could add this?
edit: also just to add, i use this on a 46 inch screen as im sure alot do, so take that into considering. maybe the bright background or the lack of white or editing an xml isnt a big deal on a laptop, but its a pain in the ass on a tv and awkward keyboard and mouse.
Beta 2 Love, Beta 3 Suggestions - Stranger - 2011-06-22 20:40
This has turned out to be a perfectly subtle skin that satisfy's most of my friends of family better than any other, thanks Scarfa. Now that Beta 2 is the new default on my main machine I have some suggestions...
01. SECONDARY THUMBNAIL VIEW (Small Thumbnail)
The current thumbnail view is great for a lot of my library's needs, so an extended/smaller version would be a perfect addition. The view, as well as it's alternative version, could also use two lines for the selected items title (this is essential in the music library's album view 'Album/Artist')
Below are two mock-ups of a smaller/extended thumbnail view, although the mock-up's were made from editing screenshots of the current thumbnail view I have added a link for the .psd
02. 'HIDE' MEDIA TYPE ICONS
Although I understand why some people might like them, I do not like the media type icons that are used across the skin. An option to disable them would be great.
03. EXTRA/ALTERNATIVE LIST VIEW
The option to hide artwork in the list view is cool, but the change applies throughout the skin. I would love to keep artwork enabled when I'm browsing an album or my movie library, but I do not want artwork when I'm browsing my music's artists section or an add-on with terrible thumbs. An extra list view simplified and without artwork would work, or even better just a second list view (List 2).
04. MORE CUSTOM HOME ITEMS
Custom home items are becoming an essential part of any skin now. The set-up for rapier's custom items is great, but I am desperate for at least four more items.
05. FANART TRANSPARENCY
An option to change the transparency of fanart and everything else that is faded in the background of the skin would be great. This would be at the top of my suggestions list but I wasn't sure which method has been used to overlay fanart or video, I'm sure myself and a lot of other users could alter this ourselves if there was a filter in the textures or if it is just a line in the code that needs changing. A point in the right direction would be much appreciated.
06. UNPACKED TEXTURES
This is a request for the unpacked textures to be posted. I have been yearning to make some aesthetic tweaks and desperately need the textures unpacked.
07. BREADCRUMB SHOWS TV SHOW TITLE
When browsing a TV Show in seasons or episodes the shows title would look great in the breadcrumb, even partially or replacing 'TV Shows' just like Alaska. This would also work great within an album or viewing an artists section. Although i'm not sure it's possible, add-on names would also look great instead of just saying 'add-on'
08. KIOSK MODE HIDES INFO SCREEN'S METADATA BUTTONS
I think the kiosk mode needs to hide the refresh, thumb and fanart buttons in the info screen to prevent guests from messing up metadata.
09. ALBUM LIST VIEW
When it come to albums the list view needs to be refined by maybe adding a dedicated 'Album List' View. The list should do a better job of displaying the track number, song title and artist name. A two line list would work great with the track name and number in the first line and the artists name and maybe track time in the second. I should mock-up a concept for this instead of just rambling an unrealised idea. As examples Aeon and Alaska Revisited both do this with great results, Alaska Revisited's 'Info List' being better as it utilised the view more.
10. FANART FOLDER OPTION FOR CUSTOM HOME ITEMS
Currently custom home items allow one image to be set as fanart, the ability to set a folder of images would be great.
11. DISABLE SCROLLING TITLES
Scrolling titles and info can be irritating and distracting in most cases. The option to disable the automatic scrolling would be great. instead of scrolling I would much rather see an items title cut off like this 'Big Bang Theo...' (especially in the info screen, sometimes it can feel like times square)
12. DISABLE RSS FEED
It looks great but I would like the option to turn it off on the home screen
13. TRAILER'S PLAY IN WINDOW
This is the most extraneous suggestion I have to offer, especially without a mock-up to get my point across. Usually trailer's are not worth playing in full screen so the ideal option is to window them on the info screen. Whether it's 240p, 360p or 480p, the plot and other info can be faded off screen and replaced by a simple preview window. I assume this feature is a luxury and would probably not be implemented in any skin until any beta work is well over and done with.
14. MINOR BETA 2 BUGS
- PatOso - 2011-06-22 22:47
You're doing it again
- scarfa - 2011-06-23 04:05
1. Some people have commented they didn't like the white top bar in Rapier 3, others loved it. It's hard to please everyone plus the design has evolved since then and I don't think it will look as good. Maybe a colour theme perhaps in the future?
2. Have you downloaded beta 2? Theres a skin option to set a global default background of your choosing. You can try to find my old one and set it as default. With this new background I am trying to maintain a smooth, subtle, pro look throughout the skin. The old background is textured and very rough which looked okay at the time for my old design.
3. I am in agreement here. Sometimes I do not want to see the end time also. There will be an option for the next update.
- scarfa - 2011-06-23 05:03
This is a very good post, so I will take my time to answer it!
1. I like these mockups and you have the right idea. I can make them as a view style for thumbnail view. Expect to see it in the next update.
2. I will think about it although I haven't heard much complaints about it (actually none at all). Putting in a option is easy but sometimes I have to consider if its worth it if only a few people use it.
3. Will think about it although low priority.
4. I'd like it if people used the submenus to add their items especially if it belongs in the other categories. Having 4 extra slots for home items I think is a fair amount. After all you end up scrolling too much with more menu items. Of course I can add more but that is just a luxury and thus low priority.
5. Fanart transparency, do you mean change the dimness level? Edit the file includes_Backgrounds.xml in the 720p folder. The section you are looking for are FanartDim and CustomBackgroundDim. Change the fade value to your liking.
6. The full sources will be available once the skin gets an official release. If you want to fool around with the beta textures just PM me.
7. Will look into it.
8. Yes this is true.
9. I am planning on changing banner style for list views to include such data on the second line.
10. Low priority.
11. Will look into it.
12. Settings->Appearance disable "Show RSS news feeds"
13. Will look into it.
14. a.) Kiosk mode is suppose to disable the submenus. Isn't that the point to make it more simple?
b.) Most view options are specific to the view and content (movies, tv shows, episodes, etc). So if you turned on enable fanart for thumbnail view in movies it doesn't apply to any other views and content. However the setting to enable fanart for tv shows in thumbnail view seems to be missing so that needs to be fixed.
- activate - 2011-06-23 07:26
loggio Wrote:It's the tv logos script. Just install the skin manually.If you mean by zip file, then thats how I have been installing it.
scarfa Wrote:Not running nightlies but I think the addons repo for nightlies is separate from stable so some scripts might not have been updated and marked compatible to go into that repo.
Mate, do you mean the svn installer. Anyway, if i try to install it via the repo, which one is it ? I have always been downloading the file directly.
- epoke - 2011-06-23 10:18
Thanks for supporting to select lyrics and subtitles scripts.
I've found some issues.
Win7. Dharma 10.1
Can't see music info on fullscreen visualization. I can see progress bar only.
Ipad. 10.0-8 for iOS
Can't see osd menu on fullscreen video. Tap does not work. beta1 have no problem.
Recently added album widget is not campatible with nightly build.
- nmirza - 2011-06-23 16:08
thanks scarfa. I did download beta 2, and i like it alot, apart from the couple of things i noted. I realize the skin is an evolution on the older one, and obviously that means things will change and you don't just want to give us the same thing as before updated with couple of things here and there.
1-theme would be great. If i recall correctly in the previous verison (or maybe it was in one of the mods?) there was an option to have a blue/black/grey/white top bar. Can we have something like that back, or a blue/black/white theme please.
2-yes i saw this option yesterday. Can you provide me a link to the older background? i did try to get used to the newer bg, maybe its my tv, but it still seems a bit too sharp and bright, and also when its dim i see alot of layering in the bg. again, maybe just my tv. but i would still like to set the old blue textured bg.
3-awesome. finally no more editing the xml file. Basically the only way to see time bar, and other option for bookmarks, favourites, open subtitles, etc is by presing menu to pop up osd. I'm sure you know the setting i'm talking about.
I'm still having difficulty getting used to the new black and white toggle switch after an hour of use yesterday my settings were all over the place. I'm sure i'll settle in with time.
- Stranger - 2011-06-23 16:09
scarfa Wrote:2. I will think about it although I haven't heard much complaints about it (actually none at all). Putting in a option is easy but sometimes I have to consider if its worth it if only a few people use it.
I do not dislike the design of the icons, its the repetitiveness I find distracting. I can understand why no ones complained since they are really nice icons. After browsing around last night I realised how useful they are in file views, especially search results. Although they look great in those scenarios, I would still love the option to disable them in library views and the recently added widgets. If no one else picks up on this suggestion I can totally understand how it wouldn't be worth implementing.
scarfa Wrote:4. I'd like it if people used the submenus to add their items especially if it belongs in the other categories. Having 4 extra slots for home items I think is a fair amount. After all you end up scrolling too much with more menu items. Of course I can add more but that is just a luxury and thus low priority.
The people who use my setup are useless at navigating XBMC, even with the great submenu indicators you have made I find myself directing people. Custom home items help split libraries up and provide easy access to every day add-ons. With the kiosk mode disabling the sub-menus (and my friends & families reluctance to use them anyway) I find I need more than four additional home items. With eight default categories on the home page I usualy have to disable most of them and tailor a menu. Here is my ideal set-up:
1. Movies (Disable original item and replace with link to the Movie library's root. I should probably just edit the code for this)
2. HD Movies (Smart-Playlist for HD Movie's)
3. Family (Smart-playlist filters suitable Movies for family)
4. TV Shows (Disable original item and linked to a smart-playlist to filter out Anime & Kids TV)
5. Anime (Anime library separated from TV library)
6. Cartoons (Kids TV & Cartoons separated from TV library)
7. Youtube (Link to Youtube app)
8. iPlayer (link to iPlayer app)
9. Default Music
Although I would be using 8 custom items I would still only have 9 items to scroll though. Obviously this is an excessive approach, I would really appreciate any advice you have on achieving this level of accessibility without the need of some of those custom items and sub-menus.
scarfa Wrote:5. There is thread sticky with the psd and action files that automate the process.
- DazNoonan - 2011-06-23 17:15
Just ugraded to Beta 2, the Thumbnail View for TV Shows seems to be missing and you now only have Icon and Big Icon, List etc.. was this intentional? Could we please have it back as its there when you go down a level to choose the season and without having it there for the actual TV Shows then you loose the feel of fluidness....?
- ikarusx3 - 2011-06-23 19:20
Just a quick comment, as i think this hasn't been mentioned before:
In the shutdown menu, in Beta 1 the default menu item was "shutdown"
In Beta 2, it's "Quit XBMC"
I'm not sure if this is intended, but since i want shutdown to be the default (to shut down my htpc with just two buttons and the tv already turned off), i changed the second line in 720p/DialogButtonMenu.xml to:
Other than that, all of my issues seem to have been addressed, although i would like to see ClearArt to be incorporated in the info and pause view of the playing screen. But thats also something i could quickly add in myself...
- activate - 2011-06-24 02:21
1. I have simply copied the folder of an installed version of beta 2 on my mac (stable dharma) over to the nightlies on atv2. Seems to have done the trick. Someone stole my red theme but thats cool. Am happy with blue.
2. All the suggestions people have are cool. I am happy as long as it as fast as it is. Am a little confused about how to enable the new extra thumbnail and extra fannart views ie. I seem to loose fanart/thumbs when I do it. Not sure if it will download extra images or I have to mannually add them.
FYI on difference between running on nightlies and stable.
On the nightlies...
1. Installation required mannual copying of preinstalled folder.
2. Skin is slower - though I think this is skin support on the nightlies...and it doesnt bother me, knowing that its a temp situation, though it might be an extended temp.
3. Some features are missing, eg. Movies - recently added.
4. Network settings - Enable http control - It doesn't save. In other words on restart the settings is always turned off. I am assuming this is a nightlies thing.
5. Oh I noticed going from Home-->Videos-->Video Add ons , took me to the library rather than the add ons.
Overall all good and just figuring out the new views! Ta very much :o
Edit: PS. Your new addition of Music Videos fixes the previous issue for me ie. Music videos are displayed as library.