[ALPHA RELEASE] Welo - a new skin in development for XBMC - Printable Version
+- Kodi Community Forum (http://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skin Development (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: [ALPHA RELEASE] Welo - a new skin in development for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=102199)
- liquidskin76 - 2011-05-26 14:46
Smobbo Wrote:Liquidskin congrats on the first alpha release!
- Brainfrz - 2011-05-26 14:51
i'm in love with it already.
- liquidskin76 - 2011-05-26 15:12
Regarding the colour tint on the central section of the background...
When trying to improve gradient banding on the backgrounds, i mistakely used the wrong colour tint on that part. It was grey. Now it has a slight blue'ish tint.
I'm planning on changing it, however wanted to check something first...
Looking at it now, it looks more vivid and i think it makes the background more alive. What does everyone else think? Grey or slightly blue tinted?
I can post screen comparisons if needed (or check Hitchers screen comparisons from thread page 3).
[EDIT:] so you all know... Welo had both colours in his mockups, hence i how came to use the wrong one!
- liquidskin76 - 2011-05-26 15:14
Brainfrz Wrote:i'm in love with it already.
- tschi - 2011-05-26 15:30
Thanks for this very nice job
In root menu, in french "Watch your" should be translate by "Regardez vos" instead of "Surveillez votre" which means monitoring/guard.
Large list view in series and videos would be great
Very pleasant design.
- sammydog69 - 2011-05-26 15:35
liquidskin76 Wrote:Regarding the colour tint on the central section of the background...
Firstly, congrats on the progress so far. The skin is looking like it will be one of the few that in use do the mock ups justice.
A couple of comments :
1) I like being able to jump straight to a different section and like a few of the other posters, I select a view and stick with it.
2) I think that it will be hard to judge the difference between the grey and blue-ish middle section from a screen shot. It would be a bit more effective to be able to judge them on a TV screen while using the skin.
3) I have noticed one small bug, when you scroll through the TV shows in the recently added section on the main screen, the drop shadow on the image changes on the bottom edge. Instead of following the shape of the box, it goes straight down. I also have to admit that I'm not a fan of using the screen grab as the image for new shows as seems to be the practice with most if not all skins, I'd rather see a poster with the episode details below.
Anyway, enough nit picking. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing future releases.
P.S. Kudos to Welo for producing such a tidy looking design.
- liquidskin76 - 2011-05-26 15:42
tschi Wrote:Thanks for this very nice job
Yeah, the skin specific translations haven't been done. Some labels are pulling translations from XBMC's language string.xml's.
I'll add the large list view to tv, etc.
- liquidskin76 - 2011-05-26 15:45
sammydog69 Wrote:P.S. Kudos to Welo for producing such a tidy looking design.
Welo hit on an amazing concept! Good man!
- sialivi - 2011-05-26 15:46
Jezz_X Wrote:Like he said though that doesn't work on iOS xbmc any calls to DialogButtonMenu.xml exits xbmc (no window shown) so you will still need to put settings it in other places
But why is this behavior hardcoded in the iOS port? Wouldn't it make more sense to make the iOS port behave like the other platforms instead of suddenly enforcing this limitation on all the others?
- krish_2k4 - 2011-05-26 15:52
think ive found a bug.
[Latest Movie Added Poster]
When "update library on startup" is selected in settings and xbmc updates new movies on startup, the "Latest movies" updates automatically on the home screen. but the latest movie added is missing the poster artwork.
it comes back when you restart xbmc, but was wondering if the poster for the latest movie added could show up without restarting.
- sialivi - 2011-05-26 15:53
DazNoonan Wrote:Really? Settings is completely different to shutdown though so it would make no sense at all to have them in the same place really...
It's not a case of moving it. It's a case of adding it to a 2nd place which would allow the Settings to be optionally hidden on the Home Screen for those who want that. It doesn't effect ATV2 users, you would just leave the "Hide Settings" option alone and nothing would change.
Even though it's called "Shutdown Menu" it's not limited to that functionality. By default there are links to Favourites and System Info, which are hardly shutdown related either, and many skins add links to File Manager, Settings, Home Visuals, Addons to this menu.
- liquidskin76 - 2011-05-26 15:58
sammydog69 Wrote:1) I like being able to jump straight to a different section and like a few of the other posters, I select a view and stick with it.
1) Don't worry, i don't think i'll be removing the main menu from the sub sections.
2) Maybe i'll release the backgrounds in grey on their own, so people can test. I'll look into.
3)Yeah, me and Hitcher had a chat about that one a while ago. It happens on the movie and music 'recent/random' as well. The only way to combat it is to duplicate that small part of the background as a separate image, gradient it, and have it sat on top of the shadow edge, so the shadow disappears behind. Seemed alot of work for a small thing however i'll have a look later!
Regarding the tvshow 'recent/random' screen grab images, i can change to posters if people would prefer that? I think i would prefer that myself... never really thought the screen grabs looked flash enough!
- liquidskin76 - 2011-05-26 16:01
krish_2k4 Wrote:think ive found a bug.
Yeah, i haven't quite got the refreshing of that section right yet. Like when you switch to Welo from another skin, it doesn't update then. You have to restart XBMC.
I'll look into.
- liquidskin76 - 2011-05-26 16:03
The 'to-do' list keep growing!
- sialivi - 2011-05-26 16:06
DazNoonan Wrote:I actually like the idea that you don't have to go back out to go to another section, yes it can take some getting used to but its defiantely better how it is now. I mean how often do you need to get into the view options? Usual you keep with the one you want don't you...
I access the view options all the time, most of the time to toggle whether watched movies should be hidden or not (hidden when I use xbmc alone, visible when I'm having guests).
One of my objections is that the current layout adds extra keypresses, if it reduced the number of keypresses I would probably be of another opinion:
Current: 1 button to reach the section selection, 2 buttons to reach the view options.
Suggested: 1 button to reach the section selection, 1 button to reach the view options.