Kodi Community Forum
Even more unofficial ATV2 builds for eternal optimists - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: Even more unofficial ATV2 builds for eternal optimists (/showthread.php?tid=103188)

Pages: 1 2

[AppleTV2] Even more unofficial ATV2 builds for eternal optimists - Lawn Gnome - 2011-06-09

So, I have precisely zero time to devote to this, and make no promises of ongoing "nightlies" (Keith's much better at this than I am!), but since I finally got my build environment sorted out tonight and cranked out a build or two, I thought I'd share.

Caveats
  • These are Apple TV 2 builds only. I don't have any other iOS devices new enough to run XBMC, and don't want to build anything I can't at least minimally test before uploading. Sorry, iPhone and iPad users.
  • There's a good chance these builds will only run on iOS 4.3, because that's the SDK I have installed on my build machine. If someone with iOS 4.2 wants to try using a build and report back, awesome, but I'm not exactly confident.

Known Issues

Whatever afflicts other builds will afflict these ones. Check elsewhere on the forum. Smile

Downloads

2011-06-10, as at commit 331ab90edc4fd53ea19568d127645e81b5be1287: a stock build of the current git trunk.

2011-06-10, the same commit as above, but with commit 24da34a6de03611c296bad3965e79edad7348193 reverted: this cures the music playback bug reported in Keith's nightlies thread (which required a pause/play to get music to actually play), but doesn't seem quite as stable. (This makes sense. I mean, I'm sure there was a good reason for the offending commit in the first place.) Nevertheless, if you use XBMC mostly for music like I do, this might be worth a try.

So, if you're feeling brave — perhaps even optimistic — feel free to have a crack at one of the builds above. Good luck!

- harryzimm - 2011-06-09

Thanks for this, any chance you could post an atv2 build from the pvr branch?

cheers

- RosevilleHT - 2011-06-09

Just what we need, more alpha builds to sort through. You think this might make it harder to diagnose various issues when people try to install them? Rolleyes

- menno - 2011-06-09

I am running it, I am happy thnx greaT!

- nachtzwerg - 2011-06-09

Nice! It even includes the fix for the music + slideshow bug i have been struggling with.

I don't like the horizontal home menu layout too much though.

Best

- Memphiz - 2011-06-10

i don't think it is a good idea to spread builds with custom reverted commits and such ... you should do them for your privat usage only imho ...

- Memphiz - 2011-06-10

harryzimm Wrote:Thanks for this, any chance you could post an atv2 build from the pvr branch?

cheers

i did already do that 2 days ago

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=814017&postcount=70

- dr99 - 2011-06-10

Installed over Keith's latest nightly and it is working great. I like the new ribbon interface.

- harryzimm - 2011-06-10

Memphiz Wrote:i did already do that 2 days ago

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=814017&postcount=70

Congratulations Smile

- Cranial - 2011-06-10

First my disclaimer:

I do appreciate what you're doing, people like having new builds.

But....

I think this is a bad idea. The more builds out there in the wild, the harder it is for the devs to keep track of issues. This is even more evident with privately modified builds.

At the moment, we have keith's builds, which are being tracked and used for bug chasing by the Devs. We also have the semi-private AE branch testing, which are also being used for testing by the Devs. (This will be merged back to trunk when stable enough).

Now there's some PVR builds out in the wild, which are handy for specific PVR testing, but don't really help the base ATV builds move forward as a whole.

So, to be honest, every person using your builds equates to less people doing usable testing for the Devs.

- Lawn Gnome - 2011-06-10

harryzimm Wrote:Thanks for this, any chance you could post an atv2 build from the pvr branch?

cheers

Yeah, I'm not going to build those — I don't need them personally, and as Memphiz said, he's already built that branch this week anyway.

Memphiz Wrote:i don't think it is a good idea to spread builds with custom reverted commits and such ... you should do them for your privat usage only imho ...

It's not ideal, and I don't intend to make a habit of it, but I had a build working with a quick and dirty revert, didn't have time to track down the problem beyond that and submit a pull request (plus, I know precisely nothing about audio ring buffers), and it seemed churlish not to let others at least have the option of trying it.

RosevilleHT Wrote:Just what we need, more alpha builds to sort through. You think this might make it harder to diagnose various issues when people try to install them? Rolleyes

Perhaps, but plenty of other projects have multiple builders, and they seem to do just fine.

I mean, I'm not trying to step on any toes here. If the consensus of the people working on XBMC on iOS (who are doing a great job!) is that they don't want other people uploading builds, then I'll take these down and just build for myself. It just seemed obvious to me that in the absence of a non-branch nightly since May 15, uploading a build for people to play with was the right thing to do.

- Ned Scott - 2011-06-10

As long as people keep questions/comments/bug reports about specific builds in the original threads about those builds, then there should be no issue. Then the devs can ignore or read about various builds as they please. The desktop versions of XBMC have multiple unofficial builds out there too.

And I love Keith for doing builds for us, but it's been almost three weeks since a new build came out.

- manxam - 2011-06-10

I personally appreciate this build as I now have homogeneity across my PC and IOS devices with the changes to the confluence skin.

Thanks much!

- Turb007 - 2011-06-10

can anyone post a link to instructions to install these builds please

thanks

- RosevilleHT - 2011-06-11

Turb007 Wrote:can anyone post a link to instructions to install these builds please

thanks

And so it begins.