Kodi Community Forum
Nvidia Vs ATI? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Nvidia Vs ATI? (/showthread.php?tid=105779)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Nvidia Vs ATI? - illusionuk - 2011-07-18

Hi All,

I've been a long-time user of XBMC since the original Xbox and an long-time stalker of the forum, so I thought it was about time I joined.

Anyways, this weekend I decided to have a play around and dual-boot using my existing PC with Live version.

Installation and adding my media went smooth as, but I'm experience some lag with my 7600 GT (I know, very old) when using the Aeon MQ2 theme - it's time to upgrade.

I've read many threads and there is a lot of mention about the GT210, GT230, GT430 and various ATI cards.

When reading general reviews - ATI seem to win against performance, picture quality and overall more bang for your buck. Although from what I have gathered ATI is not recommended against a Live build; Nvidia drivers are better...?

At the moment I stream my HD content using PS3 Media server but I don't like the XMB and transcoding is a bit annoying, but the picture quality is very good.

I'm looking for a low-profile fan-less card to use.
What card can you recommend for the best picture quality/performanceHuh
3D content is not a necessity right now and I have an external sound card which I connect to my amp via optical cable, so audio over HDMI again is not a necessity, but it would be nice feature to have as I'm looking to upgrade my amp in the near future.

At the end of the day I want my HTPC to be at least on par with the PS3 in terms of picture quality and performance.

Many Thanks

- darkscout - 2011-07-18

Look at my Sig.

The 8600 and anything after will do 1080p, not sure how much more 'performance' you're looking for.

- ion_man - 2011-07-18

illusionuk Wrote:ATI seem to win against performance, picture quality

There is no real picture quality difference between ATI and Nvidia, that's a myth that was started by a few review sites that over-analyze things by looking at tiny theoretical differences which are completely irrelevant in practice.

What makes a huge difference is tearing and stuttering, which is what you get with ATI on Linux (unless you are a Linux guru and are prepared to spend endless hours tinkering with your config).

Performance difference doesn't matter at all for video, that only matters for gaming.

On Linux go with Nvidia, if you chose ATI you will regret it.

- Mallet21 - 2011-07-18

A GT520 will get you a future proofed card at a reasonable price.

- Kirky99 - 2011-07-18

The rumors of the 520 having trouble with interlaced HD video seem to be gathering steam. I'd probably go for the GT430 instead, but here in the US, we still have a lot of interlaced video and I'm looking at going PVR sooner than later, so I'll need it.

Not sure if there are any fanless models however. The Asus GT430 is pretty quiet, but it isn't silent.

- eskro - 2011-07-18

if you'll use Windows7, get a HD5450....

if you'll use Linux, get a GT210...

- poofyhairguy - 2011-07-18

Kirky99 Wrote:The rumors of the 520 having trouble with interlaced HD video seem to be gathering steam. I'd probably go for the GT430 instead, but here in the US, we still have a lot of interlaced video and I'm looking at going PVR sooner than later, so I'll need it.

Not sure if there are any fanless models however. The Asus GT430 is pretty quiet, but it isn't silent.

You are right that a GT430 is better for live TV. Here is a fanless model I personally have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500175

- eskro - 2011-07-18

poofyhairguy Wrote:You are right that a GT430 is better for live TV. Here is a fanless model I personally have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500175

Man, Always priced the same Tongue
I thought they would go a bit cheaper by now,,,

oops, i talked too fast...
ZOTAC GT430 FanLess ($77 + Free Shipping)

- illusionuk - 2011-07-18

Thanks for your replies everyone - much appreciated.

Eskro and poofyhairguy, I've been reading a lot of your threads Smile

There's a couple of sites here in the UK that sell a fanless GT 430 and 210 for about £40-£50.

I'm currently running Live, but I am dual booting Win 7 X64. What do you recommend - keeping with Live or installing it on Win 7?

eskro Wrote:if you'll use Windows7, get a HD5450....

if you'll use Linux, get a GT210...

From what I can see you're booting Win 7 and using GT210? What made you pick that over the HD5450?

Thanks.

- poofyhairguy - 2011-07-18

If you want Live TV I personally think the Windows PVR branch is further along. Otherwise I personally prefer Live for its "appliance feel."

- SpectreX - 2011-07-19

If you want Ati and Linux, OpenELEC is the way to go. They are working on finishing up support for ATI cards, and atm after testing the developer builds it seems to work quite well.

Not to mention OpenELEC is superior to XBMC Live, in terms of lower resources consumption, easier to set up, and mostly just works.

- darkscout - 2011-07-19

And Nvidia is already working check and mate not "working on finishing up".

- poofyhairguy - 2011-07-19

OpenELEC or Hardy based XBMCFreak is the best option for 4xx or 5xx GT cards...

- DavidT99 - 2011-07-19

ion_man Wrote:There is no real picture quality difference between ATI and Nvidia, that's a myth that was started by a few review sites that over-analyze things by looking at tiny theoretical differences which are completely irrelevant in practice.

What makes a huge difference is tearing and stuttering, which is what you get with ATI on Linux (unless you are a Linux guru and are prepared to spend endless hours tinkering with your config).

Performance difference doesn't matter at all for video, that only matters for gaming.

On Linux go with Nvidia, if you chose ATI you will regret it.

I have a zacate based HTPC and xbmc, I can play 720p movies without stuttering or tearing (maybe I just haven't noticed it!) using AMD proprietry drivers. Unfortunately 1080p is unwatchable, the stuttering is so bad. The latest AMD Linux drivers are 11.6. Possibly my build is the exception rather than the norm.

David

- ion_man - 2011-07-20

DavidT99 Wrote:I have a zacate based HTPC and xbmc, I can play 720p movies without stuttering or tearing (maybe I just haven't noticed it!) using AMD proprietry drivers. Unfortunately 1080p is unwatchable, the stuttering is so bad. The latest AMD Linux drivers are 11.6. Possibly my build is the exception rather than the norm.

David

Your build is the norm, 1080p is the problem not 720p. Most people would not be happy with just 720p especially since Nvidia does 1080p without any flaws on Linux.