Kodi Community Forum
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support? (/showthread.php?tid=106051)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

- ZERO <ibis> - 2011-10-21

Strange perhaps I will try the blank one to see if that is the issue as I use the picture screen saver. It will suck if I can not get that working. I have spent weeks amassing thousands of 16:9 anime pics to use for the screensaver that I have used now for a few years.

There should not be anything waking it b/c the only input is an infrared keyboard. I could try to remove it from the room and see if that does anything.

Also I must say that I am very impressed with the color in 10bit for the encodes I see in 10bit there is no visible color banding! This always bothered me a lot b/c it really shows up on these high contract plasmas.

- Yappa - 2011-10-21

@compcentral: Not sure if serious. Huh

@ZERO <ibis>: Well, if you got it to work and are satisfied, then I might also give it a go.

- ZERO &lt;ibis&gt; - 2011-10-21

boingman Wrote:@compcentral: Not sure if serious. Huh

@ZERO <ibis>: Well, if you got it to work and are satisfied, then I might also give it a go.

If you want I can send you my exact files if you want to use ffdshow or coreavc with the same splitter I am running.

My only problem now is the screensaver which could be an issue of me forcing an outdated skin version.

I spent weeks reprogramming the skin to be more anime friendly but the latest version requires a total reprogram to support my changes. Found here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=100283

- alexrose1uk - 2011-10-22

compcentral Wrote:who would have thought people actually watch anime.... I only though that was for losers and little kids. hmm

As an example then, you'd say things from Pixar, or Dreamworks, CGI are also only for kids, or stuff like the Animatrix? It's a medium, just like magazine, comics, graphics novels...etc.
You can do inanely childish stuff, like the 'mons, or you can do more adult orientated stuff. User, intent, purpose and all that.

There's a metric ton I don't like because it's aimed at the teen market, hits the stereotypes too much etc etc, but there's some fairly good, older viewer orientated material out there as well, some of which incorporate themes western studios won't touch with a bargepole because of different cultural sensibilities or because they're not in vogue.

It's also WAY easier to do some concepts in CGI/Animation, simply because it would be hard or impossible to pull off well in live action, or prohibitively expensive. Look how little decent Sci-Fi there is because of the costs for example, even though it's now way easier to do good Sci-Fi than it used to be.

- ZERO &lt;ibis&gt; - 2011-10-22

Using the black screen saver has not produced any problems for me. So their must be something that creates a problem with the slideshow screensaver. Is there any way for me to debug and possibly fix the slideshow one so it works like the black one does?

- hikaricore - 2011-10-22

compcentral Wrote:nah. I stopped watching cartoons when i was like 10... now why would I want to watch the subtitled variety as an adult? I guess I just don't get it, but I suppose some of you never got to watch cartoons as a kid or something.... to each their own I suppose.

Watch Darker Than Black, Baccano, or Gantz and come back when you have some context.
Seriously though, we're not talkin My Little Pony here you damn dirty troll.

- bobo1on1 - 2011-10-22

This thread is about 10-bit h264 support, who cares what the content is, it's irrelevant.

- Ned Scott - 2011-10-23

compcentral Wrote:who would have thought people actually watch anime.... I only though that was for losers and little kids. hmm.

E̶n̶j̶o̶y̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶b̶a̶n̶.̶ ̶S̶e̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶t̶h̶,̶ ̶G̶O̶O̶D̶ ̶F̶R̶I̶E̶N̶D̶.̶

changed to warning. Just let that be a warning to people who insult my chinese cartoons.

- ZERO &lt;ibis&gt; - 2011-10-23

So do we know if there will be 10bit support in the next xbmc or will we be able to get something like dsplayer in the next version?

Personally I am really loving the options that the dsplayer build opens up b/c I can define my filters ect to be what ever I want to use. I with this was a stock feature in xbmc!

- Ned Scott - 2011-10-23

After Eden.

- ZERO &lt;ibis&gt; - 2011-10-24

Ned Scott Wrote:After Eden.

Does that mean in Frodo!?

I just hope that someone releases something like dsplayer support in Eden b/c waiting over a year to get support for that is just too long. Shocked

- Yappa - 2011-10-25

I think Ned Scott said that there possibly might be a 11.1 release. I certainly hope he's right and that there are a lot of anime watchers in the XBMC team who think so too. Smile

And thanks for offering me your files. I'll take you up to that offer if I can't get it to work myself. Provided I am not too lazy to try it. Wink I am currently using a wireless Xbox 360 controller to browse the XBMC menus and watch my files. Would I still be able to do that when using an external player via XBMC?

- compcentral - 2011-10-25

First off, sorry about some of my previous comments. I just don't get anime, but apparently it's pretty important to some of you.

bobo1on1 Wrote:This thread is about 10-bit h264 support, who cares what the content is, it's irrelevant.

It is relevant... XBMC's focus, as I understand it, is being a UI for playback of Movies, TV shows, and Music for the most part. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most anime doesn't really fit into any of those categories...

Are 10-bit encodes being used for any mainstream content? Not that I've seen... maybe this is just a phase and it'll will fade away in favor of H.265/HEVC once it catches on (draft standard should be out by mid 2012 in time for inclusion into next release). If so, this may not be worth worrying about especially if it only effects content that most people don't watch.

- Yappa - 2011-10-25

compcentral Wrote:First off, sorry about some of my previous comments. I just don't get anime, but apparently it's pretty important to some of you.
And yet your post still sounds pretty derogatory.

Quote:It is relevant... XBMC's focus, as I understand it, is being a UI for playback of Movies, TV shows, and Music for the most part. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most anime doesn't really fit into any of those categories...
Anime is only a different art form, so to speak. There are TV series, movies etc., so I don't get where you're going with that comment.

Quote:Are 10-bit encodes being used for any mainstream content? Not that I've seen... maybe this is just a phase and it'll will fade away in favor of H.265/HEVC once it catches on (draft standard should be out by mid 2012 in time for inclusion into next release). If so, this may not be worth worrying about especially if it only effects content that most people don't watch.
I am glad that you're not part of the XBMC team. Big Grin

- compcentral - 2011-10-26

boingman Wrote:Anime is only a different art form, so to speak. There are TV series, movies etc., so I don't get where you're going with that comment.

Yes, an art form that is rarely used in mainstream movies/tv. My whole point is that 10-bit encoding hasn't been used to encode the majority of mainstream content yet and therefore isn't a problem for most people... wouldn't you agree?

If so, why worry about it now when it may be replaced by h.265 soon?