Kodi Community Forum
blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd (/showthread.php?tid=109314)

- bluray - 2011-12-06

ptaylor999 Wrote:Heya Bluray. Remember me? The whiner who couln't seem to get Dolby HD-MA to work cause my Pio kept switching between HD-MA and PCM. Well, it was my reciever (Pioneer VSX-919). But now, with my new Onkyo 809 it works without a hitch! And I'm a happy camper.
Congratulation! If my HD audio don't work, I would be whining too. Maybe, Pioneer need a better firmware or somthing. I had a lot of troubles with my previous $1200 Pioneer Elite too. I'm glad that I sold it a year ago.

ptaylor999 Wrote:As the subject says, though, I am having another issue that I'm hoping you can lend your advice on. This time it's a video issue. Seems that I can only get ISO's that have video formatted with VC-1 to play properly. When I try to play ISO's with AVC-formatted video all I get is a horribly blocky, pixelated picture. The audio plays great but the vid is unwatchable. Any ideas for me? Could this be a codec issue? PowerDVD plays my AVC-formatted stuff just fine, as does MPC-HC. Have you had this happen, or heard of anyone else with this problem?

What video player is being used in your hd_audio build?

As always, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
I'm not sure if it is the same issue here. Some videos were stutered and blocky when I used AsRock E350M1 HTPC with AsRock "Instand Boot" power options. After I selected "High Performance" power options in W7 control panel, it playback video fluently.

You can try different settings in XBMC video output options too:

- bluray - 2011-12-06

pettergulbra Wrote:Its not in BD Rom, but its an ripped bd disc in file mode:
H:/HD Movies/MJ - This Is It (BlyRay)(2009)/BDMV/index-bdmv and so on.

Disc I can`t try yet.
As long as you ripped BD folder with Index.BDMV from the original BD correctly, it works the same way. I tried it, and it worked on my HTPC. You can simply map it to BD Index.BDMV folder instead of BD-ROM.

- pettergulbra - 2011-12-06

Ok, so I have to add each dir seperatly?
Isn`t that a little strange if it should play these files?

- bluray - 2011-12-06

pettergulbra Wrote:Ok, so I have to add each dir seperatly?
Isn`t that a little strange if it should play these files?
You can simply name your BD ripped folder to "Bluray or whatever you want to call your folder", which contains all BD Index.BDMV movies in it. You can simply map XBMC to "Bluray" folder. You should be able to find all the Index.BDMV movies in it.

Ok, I have it like this way:
H:\Filmer 4\BluRay Filmer\Michael Jackson - This Is It (BluRay)(2010)\BDMV
H:\Filmer 4\BluRay Filmer\Exsample - Exsample (BluRay)(2011)\BDMV
and so on

I have added this folder as an source in XBMC, like the other movie folders I have.

Or are I`m misunderstanding something?

- bluray - 2011-12-06

pettergulbra Wrote:Ok, I have it like this way:
H:\Filmer 4\BluRay Filmer\Michael Jackson - This Is It (BluRay)(2010)\BDMV
H:\Filmer 4\BluRay Filmer\Exsample - Exsample (BluRay)(2011)\BDMV
and so on

I have added this folder as an source in XBMC, like the other movie folders I have.

Or are I`m misunderstanding something?
Let make it simple:

1. Create "Bluray" folder in "H:\"
2. Move all your BD ripped movies (Michael Jackson, Metalica, Avatar, 2012, etc) into "Bluray" folder
3. Map XBMC to "Bluray" folder
4. It'll allow you to maneuver to all Index.BDMV inside "Bluray" folder

Smile

- ptaylor999 - 2011-12-06

Thanks Blu. I don't think xbmc settings are the issue as the blockiness happens only with AVC-formatted videos, but I'll give those suggestions a try.

What video player is xbmc_hd_audio using?

This will be in file mode then? Not in library mode, like I use on all other movies?
So it downloads pictures and stuff?

Or are I misunderstanding what you meen?

- bluray - 2011-12-06

ptaylor999 Wrote:Thanks Blu. I don't think xbmc settings are the issue as the blockiness happens only with AVC-formatted videos, but I'll give those suggestions a try.

What video player is xbmc_hd_audio using?
It's July version of Pre-Eden, and it is the only Pre-Eden with HD audio options.

- bluray - 2011-12-06

pettergulbra Wrote:This will be in file mode then? Not in library mode, like I use on all other movies?
So it downloads pictures and stuff?

Or are I misunderstanding what you meen?
Yes, it is file.

bluray Wrote:Yes, it is file.

Sorry, but I still can`t play the Index.bdmv file. Just get an error.

- PatrickBateman - 2011-12-06

bluray Wrote:From my experiences, Onkyo seem to work more fluently with HTPC in general and it's less than half the price of my previous Pioneer Elite too. I had a lot of troubles with my Pioneer Elite. I installed several more expensive Denon's at my wife relative's home theaters. But I still preferred the less expensive Onkyo with Audyssey configuration than Denon and Pioneer! Smile

I'm currently testing (playing with) the latest AE version compiled today with a revision dated of 13/09/2011 which was gnifs latest entry to the git... Here's my opinion on this situation.

These versions are not even in Alpha stage let alone beta or RC... I find it Inecredible that you guys are actually selling or exchanging your AVR equipment based on the old July version, and then justifying it by jumping through all these hoops just to get it to "kind of" work.

When AE reaches beta, I'm sure gnif will iron out bugs with the development and will get it working for all or the majority of AVR equiptment. What if at that point your replacement AVR (that previosly worked with the july version) exhibits these or similar issues again... Your no further ahead, Infact your a big step behind.

It won't be long before this reaches beta stage (probably 6 months) and I'm sure I'm not going to replace my £2000 Denon AVR for a £500 Onkyo Eek if I really need HD Audio I'll use a bluray player for the limited amount of times it'll be used.

My point here is, that it's not good practice for Bluray to be advocating and advising that people actually sell their AVR equiptment based on an old build of xbmc that he did not build, with no actual or factual evidence statistics and results. Thats all kinds of wrong.

The latest build of AE is probably buggier than the July version, therefore if it works for pioneer users (but is buggy with onkyo users) does that mean that I should start telling onkyo users to sell up and move back to pioneer... Huh

It's swings and round abouts guys, it's coming. Your gaining very little by getting HD Audio today, Infact your loosing out on some great features in Eden. You may also be losing out in the long term by moving from Elites to Onkyos entry level AVRs (in some cases).

It makes no difference to me as I'm a Denon user and I just enjoy testing the different versions availble and am more than happy to contribute to the community while i wait for an official release from gnif when he is confident to let it go.

He even states himself that AE is not functioning correctly and he is the guy who wrote the code. I'll stick with listening to his opinion and the results from my own testing from the builds I compile myself.

Pat~

For those who want to test and see for themselves just how much these test versions can vary, you can download the latest AE version that i compiled today, below.

This is the latest AE version using the most up to date GIT information provided by Gnif:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/e2i7gd

@bluray
If your going to advise people to use this i request you DO NOT advise them to buy new AVR equiptment if it does not fuction as expected for them! This is a development build!

- bluray - 2011-12-06

pettergulbra Wrote:Sorry, but I still can`t play the Index.bdmv file. Just get an error.
Please try playback BD Index.BDMV directly on BD-ROM. It'll rule out any problem with BD ripped file.

- bluray - 2011-12-07

PatrickBateman Wrote:I'm currently testing (playing with) the latest AE version compiled today with a revision dated of 13/09/2011 which was gnifs latest entry to the git... Here's my opinion on this situation.
Is there a month #13? Please let us know how it turn out with the new version. Anyway, how did you get a hold of the new version from Gnifs?

PatrickBateman Wrote:if I really need HD Audio I'll use a bluray player for the limited amount of times it'll be used.
Most of us is not limit to bitstream with XBMC either. We can do it with 7MCE, MPC-HC, bluray player, PS3, media player, etc but we challenged ourself to get Pre-Eden to bitstream. Some of us had sucessfull with it and some others are not. It's life!

PatrickBateman Wrote:My point here is, that it's not good practice for Bluray to be advocating and advising that people actually sell their AVR equiptment based on an old build of xbmc that he did not build, with no actual or factual evidence statistics and results. Thats all kinds of wrong.
When did I told anyone to sell their AVR? As far as my $1200 Pioneer Elite, I sold it way before I crossed my path with XBMC. My decission to sell it a while ago has nothing to do with XBMC. All I said all along, I got it to work with my Onkyo AVR and other has got it to work with their Onkyo. There is not any point I told anyone to sell their AVR. That is not my call, and it is up to them to buy and sell their electronics. I want to set the record straight on this. If you don't have all the fact, please do not assumed anything!

- PatrickBateman - 2011-12-07

bluray Wrote:Is there a month #13? Please let us know how it turn out with the new version. Anyway, how did you get a hold of the new version from Gnifs?

Most of us is not limit to bitstream with XBMC either. We can do it with 7MCE, MPC-HC, bluray player, PS3, media player, etc but we challenged ourself to get Pre-Eden to bitstream. Some of us had sucessfull with it and some others are not. It's life!

When did I told anyone to sell their AVR? As far as my $1200 Pioneer Elite, I sold it way before I crossed my path with XBMC. My decission to sell it a while ago has nothing to do with XBMC. All I said all along, I got it to work with my Onkyo AVR and other has got it to work with their Onkyo. There is not any point I told anyone to sell their AVR. That is not my call, and it is up to them to buy and sell their electronics. I want to set the record straight on this. If you don't have all the fact, please do not assumed anything!

Hi,

Feel free to test it yourself,
i posted the link to todays compile in my sendspace account...

As for the date, that is a british date revision, to you folks across the pond its the first 2 digits are the other way around.

As for where it came from, I compiled it myself. Something i would expect you to do considering the information you claim to you have on the HD Audio version and the arguments you seem to get yourself into regarding it Wink

Ive set up a job to compile a new version everytime there is a change added to the commit!

Again, if your going to use it please remember to advise people that it wont work for everyone and try and lighten up with the responses to some of your posts.

You've been quite rude to me in the past regarding hd audio and im still waiting on an appology! Smile

As for this version, i found it very buggy and not ready for me to use full time. Others may find it fine, but for me, its not ready!

And as for telling people to get rid of their AVRs etc, you have posted numerous times that the July version doesnt work with pioneer and denon (based on what exactly) and you proactivly tell people to buy Onkyo.. You suggested it to a guy in this very thread and he did exactly that.. infact 2 did... That's not great advice, you'd be better saying "just wait until the next version guys" it will work for all one day soon Smile

Just lighten up a bit fella,
Thats all i ask!

Cheers,
Pat~