Kodi Community Forum
blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd (/showthread.php?tid=109314)

- bluray - 2012-02-03

DDDamian Wrote:Ummmm....guys - you may want to look at this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=1008621#post1008621

Out-of-the-box works flawlessly on mine (Eden Beta 2) without AE!
Thank you for sharing the thread. After my 30 minutes in the weight room and 1 hour on the track (it'll give me enough strenght to tackle this baby), I'll check it out tonight. Sorry, I get exciting with any HD audio news in this forum! Smile

- PatrickBateman - 2012-02-04

bluray Wrote:I'm planning to build a new home at the end of the year. I'm planning to pre-wire it as shown below. My Onkyo have these options, and I want to utilize the entire surround speakers in my new theater room. I hope that XBMC release XBMC with HD audio options by then....Smile

Hey,

Not to rain on your parade but you do realise that your AVR will only do 7.2.

To do 11.2 you would be required to by an additional pre-amp for each channel (2 pre-Amps required in your case) as your AVR only has an onboard 7.2 channel audio amplifier.

The 11.2 is mainly used to allow customers to choose which speaker Combination they wish to run, but please read the Manual and you will see that you can not just plug 11.2 speakers in the back of it at the same time as they will not work. You will only be able to select 7.2 to run at any 1 time, unless you invest in pre-Amps and a lot of work/expense. Also as you only have 7.1 pre outs you may struggle even with pre amps to get 11.2.

I have a Denon 4311Ci 11.2 amplifier, Denons flagship model (100th anniversary) however mine has a true 9.2 amp built in, meaning I can connect 11.2 speakers and can activly run 9.2 at any give time. Also I can run the last channel out via a pre-amp, I have all "11.2 channels pre amp out" as well, which is key!

Personally I've chose to leave the 11th channel and currently run a 9.2 setup using the same configuration shown in your picture expect I forgoe the rear high.

It can be a chew on with preamps as you will then need to run the audio from the analog pre out to a pre amp analog input and then to a set of speakers. Meaning you need to set the volume control on both the pre amps and the AVR independently which can be a pain for aydyssey etc. I have aydyssey xt32ci which allows me to connect a pro kit to compensate but I don't think yours is a ci or a xt32 (I can't remember)

Here is the spec sheet which say its a 7.2 amp built in... Also the manual states the RC-270 AVR CAN NOT DRIVE FRONT HEIGHTS AT THE SAME TIME AS FRONT WIDES etc etc and give the combinations that it won't work in... Plus AVS forums thread confim all this (did a lot of revision on many avrs when I bought mine, of which this was one until I noticed these issues) plus thy have a reputation for catching fire (see thread) Shocked

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-RC270&class=Receiver&p=f

Here is the AVS thread confirming this as well
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1302412

Don't mean to be a party pooper but don't want you building your house around an onkyo AVR that doesn't do what you think/thought it did Smile but this is all stated in the manual around page 37 or so I think... Also, be careful with the dual subs as unlike the 4311 the RC-270 model doesn't carry SubEQ HT, meaning the .2 is a glorified "Y" splitter and therefore is not EQd correctly. You WILL require a seperated external subEQ othwise your subs will be off as dual subs require a 75db calibration then apx -4 from each Sub and then filtered. Otherwise you'll get a boomy boom fest.

Here's the manual for you too for extra conformation.
http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/SN29400352_HT-RC270_En_web_sm.pdf?CFID=1916151&CFTOKEN=70097267&jsessionid=f030e71b7103a8239dde19256ba2f2ac4367

Additional:
As you can see even the Onkyo flagship NR 5009 Is only 9ch AVR and that's a $3000 AVR, also it's limitations still put it behind the denon range in terms of performance etc.
http://www.us.onkyo.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Receiver&Source=sidemenu

Hopefully that will help you on your journey and stop you from building a room around an AVR that doesn't do what you think it does Smile

Hope that helps...

- bluray - 2012-02-04

PatrickBateman Wrote:Hey,

Not to rain on your parade but you do realise that your AVR will only do 7.2.
Not at all....I really appreciated your intensive research on my AVR! Smile

I thought that I connected 11.2 speakers as shown in the manual below at my previous home, and it allowed me to calibrate all speakers. Maybe, I was so exciting that I might have heard the illusion from all 11.2 speakers. Unfortunately, I don't have all the speakers with me to test it again. I left some ceiling speakers at my previous home. I'm planning to add more surround speakers and one more subwoofer at my new house. My kid blown one subwofer at my previous home.

I'm planning to build a new home at the end of this year, and I'm planning to do pre-wire for surround sound and network myself. I'll find out more info on the 11.2 options. I have my eyes on this guy too- Onkyo M-282.

- bluray - 2012-02-04

Guys-

If you haven't try it, I highly recommend to try it. I tried it earlier and it worked out of the box. Every HD audio options (Shark007 with W7 MCE, "external players- MPC-HC, TMT, PDVD", July version of Eden and now this latest version) that I tried so far seems to work fine. I don't think that I did anything different to my 3 HTPC's than others either. Smile

Here is the thread again- [WINDOWS][PATCH]Bitstream output of HD audio formats.

- PatrickBateman - 2012-02-04

bluray Wrote:Not at all....I really appreciated your intensive research on my AVR! Smile

I thought that I connected 11.2 speakers as shown in the manual below at my previous home, and it allowed me to calibrate all speakers. Maybe, I was so exciting that I might have heard the illusion from all 11.2 speakers. Unfortunately, I don't have all the speakers with me to test it again. I left some ceiling speakers at my previous home. I'm planning to add more surround speakers and one more subwoofer at my new house. My kid blown one subwofer at my previous home.

I'm planning to build a new home at the end of this year, and I'm planning to do pre-wire for surround sound and network myself. I'll find out more info on the 11.2 options. I have my eyes on this guy too- Onkyo M-282.

Hi,

Yea you can connect them, and calibrate them all, but you can not run them all at the same time! Your AVR only has enough power to run 7.2 of them at any given time.

For example, you can connect 11.2 speakers but you can only turn on a variation of 7.2 of them at any one time (in any given config).

It won't run all 11.2 "at the same time" I'm afraid. You will need to move to a more powerful AVR for that facility.

The only reason I know, is that I was looking at the 5008 when I got my 4311ci and researched a lot of AVRs. As far as I know, my Denon 4311ci is still the only 9.2 / 11.2 (pre amp) with such a spec available on the market today. It's an incredible price of kit, the 5008 was ok but lacked some of the features of the Denon and I looked through the low end all the way up to the flagships as I wanted to invest in the right product. I looked at Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer, Anthem etc etc and tested them all vigorously.

It's a bit of a downer as I know you like your sound, but you will need to move up to a 9.2 (such as the $3000 5008 or the Denon) and/or invest in external amps to run your other channels (If pre outs exist).

As I say, not meaning to be a party pooper, just wanted to make sure you don't base your home cinema room around this AVR thinking it was capable of doing things it can't actually do... That would have been a major disappointment for you once it was all hard wired in Oo

- bluray - 2012-02-04

PatrickBateman Wrote:Hi,

Yea you can connect them, and calibrate them all, but you can not run them all at the same time! Your AVR only has enough power to run 7.2 of them at any given time.

For example, you can connect 11.2 speakers but you can only turn on a variation of 7.2 of them at any one time (in any given config).

It won't run all 11.2 "at the same time" I'm afraid. You will need to move to a more powerful AVR for that facility.
When I'm ready to connect it at my new home, I'll email Onkyo for instruction on how to achieve 11.2 with my existing Onkyo. If I have to buy extra low cost amps to fulfill it, I'll do that too. Since I'm building a new home, I don't think my wife will allow me to buy a more a expensive AVR (maybe in the future). They still think that their 5.1 Bose is better than my tower 7.1 system to these days. I sold my beloved HSU subwoofer and the more expensive Elite because they said it's too big and rattles the house too much. I settled for a less powerful subwoofer and AVR to find middle ground (it's all about compromise).

I'll let you know how it turn out in about a year! Smile

- ToXIc69 - 2012-03-02

has anyone tried eden rc1?

does it have hd audio built in?

- Martijn - 2012-03-02

ToXIc69 Wrote:has anyone tried eden rc1?

does it have hd audio built in?

No it hasn't.
If you use windows you can try this one
forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=121877

- TechLife - 2012-03-02

I'm not sure Daniela has updated her binary for RC1. If she hasn't Damian has: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=121877&page=75

RE: blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd - zYxMa - 2012-03-24

Hey guys,

I've been using this version of xbmc for a while now and it works very good. Subtitles are playing up sometimes, meaning downloading not always works. Anyways, I am happy to continue using this version, but I have downloadedd the RC2 version today and I can't see DTS-HD and TrueHD options there, so I went back to this build.

Any ideas? Is HD audio not supported in official builds?

Quote:Image
What is the point of having 11.2 or anything more than 7.1?

I haven't seen any content with this kind of audio...

RE: blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd - bluray - 2012-03-24

(2012-03-24, 02:57)zYxMa Wrote: Hey guys,

I've been using this version of xbmc for a while now and it works very good. Subtitles are playing up sometimes, meaning downloading not always works. Anyways, I am happy to continue using this version, but I have download the RC2 version today and I can't see DTS-HD and TrueHD options there, so I went back to this build.

The official released XBMC don't support HD audio.....

RE: blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd - zYxMa - 2012-03-24

(2012-03-24, 02:59)bluray Wrote:

I've been using this version of xbmc for a while now and it works very good. Subtitles are playing up sometimes, meaning downloading not always works. Anyways, I am happy to continue using this version, but I have download the RC2 version today and I can't see DTS-HD and TrueHD options there, so I went back to this build.

Are you suggesting that I shall continue using this version? Smile

RE: blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd - bluray - 2012-03-24

(2012-03-24, 03:05)zYxMa Wrote:
(2012-03-24, 02:59)bluray Wrote:

Are you suggesting that I shall continue using this version? Smile
or you can download this RC2 version- HDAudio + Eden RC2......

RE: blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd - U5tabil - 2012-03-26

Im going to try XBMCBuntu is it possible to get DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD on that? if so how?

RE: blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd - DDDamian - 2012-03-26

No, that's not possible. Unitl AE is merged (and assuming you have the right hardware) all platforms other than Windows cannot bistream from within XBMC.