Kodi Community Forum
[QNAP] NFS Guide now in Wiki - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [QNAP] NFS Guide now in Wiki (/showthread.php?tid=109488)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

[QNAP] NFS Guide now in Wiki - Cranial - 2011-09-06

Wiki Page Added for QNAP devices using NFS with XBMC

QNAP NFS Guide

Any issues let me know here and I'll update it as required.

- canadave - 2011-09-06

hahaha...making me look bad, with my crummy 'text-only' wiki instructions for Synology! Wink

Just teasing...this is great! Thanks for putting it up there. Now all's we need is a few people using other NAS's to chip in too, and there won't be any more excuse for NFS problems from a NAS Smile

- Cranial - 2011-09-06

canadave Wrote:hahaha...making me look bad, with my crummy 'text-only' wiki instructions for Synology! Wink

Just teasing...this is great! Thanks for putting it up there. Now all's we need is a few people using other NAS's to chip in too, and there won't be any more excuse for NFS problems from a NAS Smile

Ha. It's amazing what I'll do to avoid actually studying Wink

- mbriody - 2011-09-06

Cranial Wrote:Ha. It's amazing what I'll do to avoid actually studying Wink

This looks great, thanks. Couple of questions:

1. Can I expect better performance than via SMB shares to the QNAP?
2. I guess this requires static IP for all devices requiring access. Is it possible to specify the whole range in the LAN e.g. 192.168.1.0 to 255 to avoid this?

- Cranial - 2011-09-06

mbriody Wrote:This looks great, thanks. Couple of questions:

1. Can I expect better performance than via SMB shares to the QNAP?
2. I guess this requires static IP for all devices requiring access. Is it possible to specify the whole range in the LAN e.g. 192.168.1.0 to 255 to avoid this?

1. Static IP addresses is really the best way to go. Makes it much easier for many things, SSH and NFS being examples.

2. I did try an IP Range on the old firmware but didn't have much success. When I get time I'll test again and update the wiki if required. Although I prefer to specify each IP as it prevents a guest on your network from messing with your QNAP files....

- Memphiz - 2011-09-06

thx ... awesome work. Big Grin

- mbriody - 2011-09-06

This has enabled NFS from ATV but I've lost SMB access to the QNAP (from ATV and my local network).

Any ideas?

- Cranial - 2011-09-06

mbriody Wrote:This has enabled NFS from ATV but I've lost SMB access to the QNAP (from ATV and my local network).

Any ideas?

Hmmm, nothing in this guide affects SMB. Have you made sure "Microsoft Networking" under Network services is still selected on in the QNAP admin?

What happens when you try to access SMB shares on the QNAP? Is it still advertised under Bonjour in "Network Service Discovery" on the QNAP?

- mbriody - 2011-09-06

A reboot of the NAS seems to have fixed it. Very odd!

- Cranial - 2011-09-06

mbriody Wrote:A reboot of the NAS seems to have fixed it. Very odd!

And the NFS share is still active for XBMC on the ATV2 after a reboot?

- mbriody - 2011-09-06

Ah, no.

Looks like some kind of conflict here.

[EDIT]

Okay, redid it all and it is working for both NFS and SMB but the change in /etc/init.d/nfs had been removed after the reboot. Not sure how or why.

Hopefully it will all still work again after my daily power cycle.

- canadave - 2011-09-06

canadave Wrote:hahaha...making me look bad, with my crummy 'text-only' wiki instructions for Synology! Wink

Cranial Wrote:Ha. It's amazing what I'll do to avoid actually studying Wink

ha HA! Now WE have pretty pictures too Rofl Thanks, barrmy!

Synology NFS Setup Guide

- barrmy - 2011-09-06

thanks for posting and the clarification on the other thread, canadave!

- Memphiz - 2011-09-06

canadave ... did you mention that a reboot of the NAS deletes that changes? (at least where it applys) in the wiki?

- canadave - 2011-09-06

Memphiz Wrote:canadave ... did you mention that a reboot of the NAS deletes that changes? (at least where it applys) in the wiki?
Sorry, I'm not understanding...a reboot of which NAS? The Synology ones? And which changes are you referring to?