Kodi Community Forum
OS X ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: OS X ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! (/showthread.php?tid=109976)

RE: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - capfuturo - 2013-07-24

Good afternoon MariusTh86,

Thanks for your thoughts and actions on the early observations.

1) My purpose is to let you know about something I have tested to have same consistent results on multiple attempts and not just once, even after resetting the computer or reinstalling ViMM. In this case the 'stuck' folder you mention, is always stuck for NFO files. So even if the user utilises the 'Clean All' command once, the NFOs won't get erased, with the user not knowing this, unless happens to visually review the folder structure, to then trigger the command a 2nd time. Thought this might be somehow important because it could generate an issue for media centres finding a local NFO when displaying info or scraping, one thought to have erased. At the moment it is, at first glance, and unreliable command because it is a command that needs to be trigger twice to do its full job and no one will know this. If ViMM detects the just 'cleaned all' folder as stuck, wouldn't be better to have this command auto-trigger itself a second time to complete its task 100%? Just brainstorming here. Now, if you have tested this function with OK results, no stuck folder behaviour and no double-triggering the command 'Clean All', then it is a local issue on my end, and please disregard query.
2) So if the user changed the NFO names at least once over a period of time, and has added new metadata along the line since then, how the user will know immediately which NFO has been updated if there are more than one NFO file present? Please have in mind here too that there is, on top, an extra difficulty given by the bug on item 3). One could perfectly be updating new metadata to the NFO that actually doesn't get picked up by the media centre, because there will be multiple NFO, all of them differing in their metadata. Perhaps you have reasons for not seeing it this way, and thinking there won't be any issue?
3) Cool, looking forward.
4) Cool. I share your view too, sometimes original language posters are so great. Knowing now that ViMM will put the 'empty-language' poster first in line for download, and realising, in this particular case, that the no-language poster was wrongly labeled on TMDB since it is actually the original Japanese poster, I have labeled it as Japanese language, and that should do it. Will test a new fetching to see if ViMM brings in now the default English-language poster that ViMM manual search is given as default by TMDB. Will have to wait a while though for TMDB to update its unbearably slow API.
5) Thanks, I know. I am currently testing ViMM as an average user would do and the experience resulting from that: relying almost entirely on clicks and on what they can immediately recognise/see/do/bring on/from the mane pane.

New observation:
1) This is just food for thought and currently doesn't constitute an issue interfering with the work on ViMM: Working ViMM in full screen is something that I will be testing next at some point, but so far I have noticed some strange behaviour with opened windows, such as the 'Manual Search' or the 'Edit Metadata', if the main pane is selected with a click, or some of these windows are minimised. These opened windows just get relegated to the background, behind the full ViMM main pane, and can't be brought back to front unless one quits full view to find these opened windows. Full view work has its complications and perhaps needs to be approached in a different way (??): I need to be capable of bringing in all my tools at any given time, if I want, right there on display. That is one of the purposes of maximising the working area; the reason why in many applications that deal with multiple settings and information display for the user, it is likely to find hovering tool bars or even folder structure hovering windows that can be closed/opened without getting lost, so the user doesn't have to quit the full view just to check how things are going at the folder level after a particular change or find the "lost panes".

Best wishes,

CF

RE: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - MariusTh86 - 2013-07-24

a1) stuck was for clean all, renaming just doesn't rename pre-existing .nfo files unless they have the same name as a media file that is in the process of being renamed.
a5) Maybe once I get the customizable toolbar in, i'll include a settings button.

b1) That's how window ordering works for the most part, you can also use the cmd+` shortcut to cycle through windows, but when i made them 'float' on top through use of modal windows, they seemed to get stuck on top of every other app.
Maybe i'll be able to do some research on this for the next version, but until then cycling is the best solution.

RE: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - capfuturo - 2013-07-24

Dear MariusTh86,

a1) Wow! You made me laugh with a1)!! I certainly was on a brain loop somewhere in space. Just corrected it and re-worded some other points, so they won't generate confusion amongst readers. Sorry! Now you can re-assess my 1st point.
a5) Fantastic!
b1) Interesting. I knew there was something going on. Glad you have this on your working list.

Thanks,

Capfuturo

RE: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - psykix - 2013-07-24

Hmm this may be a stupid question...

I have all the ratings in my .nfo files, but how do I get XBMC to read the UK ratings?

I'm using Aeon MQ4 if that makes any difference....

At the moment, they seem to be a complete mixture of UK & US unless I am mistaken..

a1b) Clean All works over all, at least on my local drives, there's just a few posibilities where files that are selected as 'to be cleaned' will not be removed, this is either because a file or folder is in use somehow, or it's status is 'protected/locked', either way trying to go for another cleaning run after detecting files that haven't been 'cleaned' yet might then throw ViMM into a never-ending loop if it keeps failing to remove them, so it's safer to see for yourself whether everything has been properly cleaned.

@Psykix: There are no stupid questions, only silly answers. ;-)
Are you talking about the MPAA rating?
First you need to set the database language to UK english, then fetch or update the metadata for movies that are using the american system, this should set the <mpaa> tag to use your countrie's MPAA rating level.
Once that's done, you'll have to refresh your items in your XBMC library, either by removing them and then re-adding them, or by selecting each item individually, pressing 'i' on the keyboard for the information screen, then pressing the 'refresh' button that should be available there.

RE: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - defected07 - 2013-07-24

Have you thought about adding a filtering system to the lists?

For example, filter list of items which do not have metadata...or items which don't have posters, etc.

I know there's sorting of such, but I'd like to be able to view ONLY those without metadata.

Also, a nice "Cover Art" a la iTunes view would be cool, too Smile

I have been thinking of something like that, but your suggestion and example made the filter idea even more attractive of an idea.

I don't think i can make something as nice as the itunes cover art view, but I'm guessing the main display of v0.8 might end up looking radically different in comparison to the current and previous versions. Wink

RE: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - einszweidrei - 2013-07-28

ltns.. Perhaps this is some kind of a feature request: Is it possible to add some small flags in the movies' listview indicating the available languages?

RE: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - MariusTh86 - 2013-07-28

Currently I'm using black/transparent icons in the list, but a flag would need colors, so that'd be a big change in the way the list is presented.
Maybe i'll be able to add them to the main display, but I'm guessing that wouldn't be visible enough in a quick overview to all movies.

This will also be added that to the 'filter' idea above once that comes out, i just have to figure out how to best present the list of 'filters', since there'll be quite a few of them. ^^

RE: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - MariusTh86 - 2013-07-31

Official relase v0.7a11: http://dstats.net/fwd/18dwq
Update information: http://goo.gl/PQcITg

Have fun!

RE: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - T800 - 2013-07-31

Just downloaded the latest update. Very good!

I like the new TV guide.
Would in be possible to maybe add SickBeard integration?

See a new show on the guide, click the button, show gets added to SickBeard to be downloaded.

RE: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - MariusTh86 - 2013-07-31

Just point me to the direction of sickbeard's intergration guide, or javascriptlet, and i'll see what I can do.

RE: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - Glorious1 - 2013-08-01

Or, you can point ViMM to the folder where Sickbeard downloads TV shows. Use the preferences pane for TV Shows/Anime,
set the Completed Downloads folder. ViMM checks there and moves and adds any new episodes when updating episodes.

RE: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - capfuturo - 2013-08-01

(2013-07-31, 18:03)MariusTh86 Wrote: Official relase v0.7a11: http://dstats.net/fwd/18dwq
Update information: http://goo.gl/PQcITg

Have fun!

Good morning MariusTh86,

The TV Guide looks and feel so useful, and everything just works when using ViMM. All the technical issues previously discussed in the forum have been fixed and that is quite impressive, as well. It just speaks very highly about your work as a developer and, as a designer too, why not!

I would love to see in the future some additional countries added to TV listings, such as some other American countries, like Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Colombia or Mexico, among others. The only Spanish TV Guide currently available is Spain, if you know what I mean.

Also, as a gesture of politeness and consideration to the rest of the American countries (54 in total besides USA), I would suggest changing the word America to USA or US (in everything you use actually), because it only lists TV Shows from the USA indeed. Staying within international guidelines is better, since the least you want is to have some of your users that are starting to discover ViMM, feeling uncomfortable with the way a product communicates to them. America, for hundreds of millions of people around the world, is a continent not a country. Americas (plural) isn't an option for them also; just a made up word, that only fulfils the interests of a particular group of people rather than being in line with the historical truth.

Be different, show you care, and please mind these 2 suggestions above, and users from these regions will love your work, even more if ViMM includes their local Networks in its TV Guide. Everybody taken in consideration and listened = everybody happy.

I) A problem that wasn't

I thought I had revisited similar issue found and fixed recently here, between XBMC and Media Center Master, but I realised my assumptions were lacking ground and wasn't actually a bug. I will explain, for it may be useful to other users of XBMC and ViMM when configuring preferences: when refreshing a tv show from within XBMC after having updated it with ViMM, XBMC wouldn't read the local metadata, instead would try to retrieve the info from TVDB. After reading on the forums I found out that NFO files containing XML data MUST always be named only in the form of tvshow.nfo, literally. I had the form <tvshow>.nfo, resembling that of movies', which was ignored by XBMC. Naming convention for movies' NFOs are, so far, applied differently than those for tv shows' NFOs in XBMC, if XML formats are present.

II) Features request
1) Missing episodes counting
Every now and then there are seasons with one or a few episodes missing. Life would be nicer if I could acknowledge this fact, and how many episodes are missing, right from the seasons pane list too, without having to click and browse each season only to find out. Same, if a season is not completed, I'd like to visually see that on the seasons pane, (perhaps not in black but red? Whatever is more appropiate). Perhaps presented as a filter, a global quick list of missing episodes, like a reminder list, would be so useful as well, to remind me of the episodes I need to get later, whether manually or via an auto-download system like T800 and Glorious1 have proposed earlier on. In my opinion, not necessarily the way others might see it, the 'show' buttons are redundant since their function can be integrated to the total number of episodes per season, and just by clicking on that counting one could make the episodes list pop up, thus a column disappears freeing space and leaving only what is necessary. Please see picture below:
2) Download manager integration
I second the feature request for download integration... Everything that makes life a little bit cooler like that is just gain. I think is a brilliant idea to journey into that.
3) Sharing options
Please include option to share via e-mail and iMessage, for the rest of us who don't like to communicate to the world of Facebook or twitter.
4) Filters
I know you are working on a filter function that will be so very useful. If one could share the resulting list, let's say, filter by recently added titles, and then share the list or even print it out. That would be awesome specially to share what one just got with the girlfriend or roommates, so they can decide what to see later in the day.

Have a nice day and thanks for this new release of ViMM! Best,

CF

RE: ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - T800 - 2013-08-01

(2013-08-01, 01:11)Glorious1 Wrote: Or, you can point ViMM to the folder where Sickbeard downloads TV shows. Use the preferences pane for TV Shows/Anime,
set the Completed Downloads folder. ViMM checks there and moves and adds any new episodes when updating episodes.

How does that add new shows I want to try to SickBeard?

(2013-07-31, 23:00)MariusTh86 Wrote: Just point me to the direction of sickbeard's intergration guide, or javascriptlet, and i'll see what I can do.

I don't know if the following info is relevant to what you need or not.

This is the api:
http://sickbeard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3468

There are add-ons for chrome and iPhone.

Here is the XBMC add-on:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=124808

If you could get this working maybe a CouchPotato one could be done too for new DVD/Blu-ray releases.