Kodi Community Forum
OS X ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: OS X ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! (/showthread.php?tid=109976)

- cbr600ds2 - 2011-09-21

i814u2 Wrote:I'm on a similar laptop (slight model variations aside), and it takes 5-6 seconds to load the list of 247 items, across AFP share on my NAS.

Downloading trailers I can't speak to as much at this point. I've only downloaded one or two and it went just fine. A mass trailer download would be nice, but I'm still not sure if I'm even going to have trailers or not. I suppose if it's that easy, I would just because I have the space to do so. *shrug*

I forget, does your un-handled exception occur when you retry an item, or only randomly?

Just randomly but 9 never did it when i safe-booted it. I like the trailer thing. A cool xbmc feature. I use smb on my unraid server

- MariusTh86 - 2011-09-21

@Demosthien:
Currently the “Fetch All Metadata” action does the following:
Check to see if it can find the movie or tv show, does not work for anime because it needs two ID’s to function correctly.
If the corresponding API of movies or tv shows gives at least one result, it will use the first one it finds.
If there’s no result, it’ll skip that movie or tv show and goes on to the next one.
If an error occurs such as a non connection, it’ll skip that movie or tv show and goes on to the next one.

I probably should handle errors better, i’ll look into that.

@cbr600ds2
Trailers indeed have varying results, if it doesn’t start loading the progress bar in about 2 seconds, it probably won’t happen at all. your best bet then is to try again immediately, try again later, or give up on it.
Currently it uses a youtube URL and some HTML descrambling to get a clean video URL, which doesn’t always work, and doesn’t give out very clean error messages.
I’d like to use another source then youtube in the future when I get around to it and find a suitable one.

I don’t think I changed much between beta 9 and 10 that would cause unhanded exceptions when downloading fanart, I did change a bunch in beta 11 but currently it has a bug that renames the fanart images wrong anyhow.
I’ll try and look into it as best I can, let me know if it still happens in the upcoming beta 12.

- Ogi010 - 2011-09-21

First of all, thanks for making this. The mac was lacking software on this front a great deal.

I am running Lion, and I am able to install ViMediaManager ok, but when I try to import movies, I get an exception error 5. http://imgur.com/OJqhv

The program then exits.

I would love to give you some log file, but I'm not sure where one would be (still somewhat a OS X n00b).

Ogi010 Wrote:First of all, thanks for making this. The mac was lacking software on this front a great deal.

I am running Lion, and I am able to install ViMediaManager ok, but when I try to import movies, I get an exception error 5. http://imgur.com/OJqhv

The program then exits.

I would love to give you some log file, but I'm not sure where one would be (still somewhat a OS X n00b).

Looking at your list, it seems like it gets stuck somewhere while reading the NFO of 12 Monkeys.
Could you try and start ViMediaManager while holding the [Alt] key and see if you still have the same error?

Checking google, I get the following reply:
Quote:IOException 5 translates to DsChkErr.
Error DsChkErr
Code 5
Located Mac OS
Message check trap error
The 5 error message may be because of System file corruption. Damaged system data files are often a real risk to the health and wellbeing of your computer.

There are many events which can have resulted in a system file error. An unfinished install, an incomplete uninstall, incorrect deletion of software or components. It could also be triggered if your computer is contaminated with a computer virus or adware/spyware invasion or by an incorrect shut down of the pc. Any of the preceeding actions could very well end up in the deletion or data corruption of Windows system data files. A damaged system file will result in absent or wrongly connected data and records necessary for the proper functioning of the program.

Maybe you can try reinstalling ViMedaManager?

- Ogi010 - 2011-09-21

MariusTh86 Wrote:Looking at your list, it seems like it gets stuck somewhere while reading the NFO of 12 Monkeys.
Could you try and start ViMediaManager while holding the [Alt] key and see if you still have the same error?

I'm assuming holding ALT starts the program in debug mode?

I removed the preferences file (as that seemed to be a common suggestion in this thread prior to), and restarted the program in debug mode.

Selected the movie folder and I'm letting it go to town (not going to lie, a progress bar would be fantastic for those of us w/ large movie collections Smile ).

....been letting this run for a while, and I just keep getting the spinning ball. I'm wondering if it's actually doing anything at this point Undecided

Do you think it would be helpful if I removed the 12 monkeys NFO file?

Ogi010 Wrote:I'm assuming holding ALT starts the program in debug mode?

I removed the preferences file (as that seemed to be a common suggestion in this thread prior to), and restarted the program in debug mode.

Selected the movie folder and I'm letting it go to town (not going to lie, a progress bar would be fantastic for those of us w/ large movie collections Smile ).

....been letting this run for a while, and I just keep getting the spinning ball. I'm wondering if it's actually doing anything at this point Undecided

Do you think it would be helpful if I removed the 12 monkeys NFO file?

That's indeed Debug Mode, which stops ViMM from loading NFO files at startup, but it will still read the first selected movie's NFO file.
It might help moving the NFO files of any movies that might seem to be giving troubles and start from scratch with ViMediaManager.
Let me know if it helps.

- Ogi010 - 2011-09-21

sorry for the silly double post... PC crashed on me when I posted the last post...

- Ogi010 - 2011-09-21

Rebooted my WHS, and now I'm getting some very different behavior.... like it's working type behavior.

I can't figure out what sorting order all my movies are in, as they are not alphabetical ... not sure if that matters or not.

Thanks for being patient with me, glad to know that everything on your end was working and the fault was at my end Smile

Ogi

Ogi010 Wrote:Rebooted my WHS, and now I'm getting some very different behavior.... like it's working type behavior.

I can't figure out what sorting order all my movies are in, as they are not alphabetical ... not sure if that matters or not.

Thanks for being patient with me, glad to know that everything on your end was working and the fault was at my end Smile

Ogi

Naturally, glad to hear that it seems to be working.
You can see the sorting order option in the app's General preferences.
If nothing changes when changing this option you might need to manually reload the list by pressing the reload button.

And feel free to let me know if you run into anything else. ^^

- Ogi010 - 2011-09-21

I've gotten to play w/ this program some now, and I have to say for an early beta, this is amazing. It's not nearly as complex as Media Companion (what I have used for Windows) is. I don't particularly care for other sources to scrap from besides TMDB and TheTVDB, so if those are the easiest to code for, keep on keeping on.

I'm not sure if this is proper behavior:
http://imgur.com/dYWzZ

I'm able to see only a portion of the fanart in the background, and it's very grayed out.

I do have a feature request.

Lots of skins recognize "banner.jpg", independent from poster.jpg. Having the ability to download both posters (posters being poster.jpg) and banners (banners being banner.jpg), and if available landscape images (naturally being landscape.jpg) would be fantastic. As the Aeon MQ 2 skin allows for multiple views of switching back and forth, there is no reason we (users) can't have both sets of thumbnails sitting in the movie folder. I'm not sure how other folders handle this, but I imagine that they do something similar as well.

Ogi010 Wrote:I've gotten to play w/ this program some now, and I have to say for an early beta, this is amazing. It's not nearly as complex as Media Companion (what I have used for Windows) is. I don't particularly care for other sources to scrap from besides TMDB and TheTVDB, so if those are the easiest to code for, keep on keeping on.

I'm not sure if this is proper behavior:
http://imgur.com/dYWzZ

I'm able to see only a portion of the fanart in the background, and it's very grayed out.

I do have a feature request.

Lots of skins recognize "banner.jpg", independent from poster.jpg. Having the ability to download both posters (posters being poster.jpg) and banners (banners being banner.jpg), and if available landscape images (naturally being landscape.jpg) would be fantastic. As the Aeon MQ 2 skin allows for multiple views of switching back and forth, there is no reason we (users) can't have both sets of thumbnails sitting in the movie folder. I'm not sure how other folders handle this, but I imagine that they do something similar as well.

Thanks, I've made sure to keep it as simple and Mac like as possible Wink

They gray area is not acceptable behavior, it should be filling out the screen with movie information, something might have gone reading the preferences, so you might have to remove it again to fix it.

Banners and landscape images are supported for TV shows as banner and tv thumbs.
For movies i'm downloading the images from TMDB, which does not have banners or landscape images for movies, so I don't have anything to download for movies.
If you have a source where you get these from, let me know and I'll look into adding it if I can, but until then it's limited to Posters and Fanart.

- demosthien - 2011-09-21

i814u2 Wrote:This option already exists. Please check the file menu.

EDIT: also, from what I can tell (to try and answer your other questions) it pretty much just chugs along and ignores issues. I usually end up with a few that are still in a status of not having information and then I just manually search those. A couple times I had some that worked just by clicking on download metadata, so it must have been a connection issue at that point. So, aside from the message at the end, it appears to do what you were suggesting.

If it doesn't, post back so we can help troubleshoot.

Ha! There you go then... I hadn't even seen that option in there. I was expecting a button on the main window so must have just blinded myself to it in the menu.

Thanks for that.

- Ogi010 - 2011-09-21

MariusTh86 Wrote:Thanks, I've made sure to keep it as simple and Mac like as possible Wink

It shows Wink

Quote:They gray area is not acceptable behavior, it should be filling out the screen with movie information, something might have gone reading the preferences, so you might have to remove it again to fix it.

Will attempt this as soon as it's done fetching all data. Which reminds me, feature request number 2. A stop/cancel button when fetching data would be useful Smile

Quote:Banners and landscape images are supported for TV shows as banner and tv thumbs.
For movies i'm downloading the images from TMDB, which does not have banners or landscape images for movies, so I don't have anything to download for movies.
If you have a source where you get these from, let me know and I'll look into adding it if I can, but until then it's limited to Posters and Fanart.

I think I might have spoken too vaguely.

Since there are skins that have both banner and poster views, it's easy to go back and forth between the two. What I am trying to avoid is having to download/rename new thumbs each time I want to switch from a banner to a poster view. Currently, as far as I can tell, the behavior of ViMediaManager allows for only posters OR banners to be downloaded (and named "poster.jpg"). What I would like is the ability to download posters AND banners (named "poster.jpg" and "banner.jpg" respectfully). Hope that makes a little more sense.

Ogi010 Wrote:It shows Wink

Will attempt this as soon as it's done fetching all data. Which reminds me, feature request number 2. A stop/cancel button when fetching data would be useful Smile

I think I might have spoken too vaguely.

Since there are skins that have both banner and poster views, it's easy to go back and forth between the two. What I am trying to avoid is having to download/rename new thumbs each time I want to switch from a banner to a poster view. Currently, as far as I can tell, the behavior of ViMediaManager allows for only posters OR banners to be downloaded (and named "poster.jpg"). What I would like is the ability to download posters AND banners (named "poster.jpg" and "banner.jpg" respectfully). Hope that makes a little more sense.

Unfortunateley, the progress window has been made to just show whatever I put into it, I've failed to make it interact or send message back on weather it's been closed, though I've been bothered enough with this as well, so i'll probably be looking into this sooner or later.

so, poster.jpg and banner.jpg is actually the same image with a different name?

- Ogi010 - 2011-09-21

MariusTh86 Wrote:so, poster.jpg and banner.jpg is actually the same image with a different name?

Nope, they are different images.

banner.jpg is a banner and poster.jpg is a poster.

Aeon MQ 2 (and I imagine most XBMC skins) can use thumbnails other than poster.jpg.

So let's say I have a poster view I like, and a banner view I like, and I switch between the two regularly. Currently, each time I would want to switch view types, I would have to overwrite the poster.jpg files with either a banner or a poster, depending on the view type within the skin I wanted, which can get annoying, should I say want to switch views regularly.

Now with most skins, it can look for banner files in ..\TV Show\banner.jpg (instead of poster.jpg). So if you're watching a skin through a poster view, you can see posters (and more importantly, poster.jpg), and if you switch to a banner view, you will see banners without having to rename/overwrite files, since the banner view will look for banner files as banner.jpg.

I know this is confusing, if it still doesn't make sense, I can take a video using fraps illustrating what I'm talking about.