Kodi Community Forum
OS X ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: OS X ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! (/showthread.php?tid=109976)

- T800 - 2011-12-01

ionblue Wrote:So today I added a few new movies to my collection and damned if I couldn't get the things to scrape properly. First off I was doing it through VNC so that might have been why I couldn't see the error message pop-up... so when I tried it directly I kept getting an ImDB API error.

It was able to bypass it and save the files, but I have no idea what's missing. Ideas? Anyone else seeing thisHuh

I have had that error a few times. Later in the day it might work fine. I used it a few minutes ago without the error.

- cbr600ds2 - 2011-12-03

yeah, It just might be having a problem connecting to the website. Mine does that every once and again. I wait a while and then its back to working.

- MariusTh86 - 2011-12-03

The Unofficial IMDB Api is unfortunately not a 100% reliable, but it makes it easy for me to pull some data off of, like IMDB ratings, extended plots and plot outlines.
Once I find out a better way or a way to easily extract data from IMDB itself, I'll likely be switching over to that instead.

Now for a news update:
I've recently been fired from my job, since they had nothing to do for me for the past 6 months or so, so pretty much out of boredom, next to the need to have a Mac compatible media manager, I started working on ViMM! and practical got paid to do so! at least, for a while...

Unfortunately all good things can't last forever, working as the last web developer for a company that was no longer focusing on web development, they had to let me go, this means I'll have to use my time now to get a new job, and once I find one, and everything goes well, I won't be likely to work on ViMM during work hours anymore. :rolleyes2:

Now for some good news, although development will slow down for a while, I WILL continue working on ViMM! I've got some pretty neat ideas that I REALLY want to implement, and that I think is going to make ViMM one of the coolest Media Manager applications out there. Wink

That said, I won't likely be able to get the new release out of the door in the coming month or 2.. But stay tuned for updates in this thread, or on my ViMM Twitter feed @ViMediaManager, which I will try to update with new information as often as possible. Laugh
And I will of course, continue to answer any questions about ViMediaManager!

- cbr600ds2 - 2011-12-05

Here's to hoping you find something soon...

- BrockSampson - 2011-12-05

mybrain87 Wrote:Another thing is I am not able to scrape new TV Shows, it just hangs there saying "Banner Image", on TV Show which already have some kind of Information this does not happen.

I have the exact same problem with TV shows. If I try to fetch metadata for any show, it stalls at "Downloading banner image..." and must be force quit. If I disable downloading banners, etc., fetch metadata, and then re-enable downloading banners, it seems to work (this is for TV shows; I have not tried it on movies).

- mantrius - 2011-12-12

I get the "An Exception of class NilObjectException was not handled. The application must shut down" whenever I try to scrape any Anime titles.

- Dzigg - 2011-12-16

Anyone having problem with episodes not downloading correct title in XBMC? The artwork, info, etc is showing correctly in XBMC, but there is no episodes title.. I suspect it got something to do with tvshow.nfo that ViMM created?

Btw, great program, I hope you'll get a nice job soon.. talented guy like you I'm sure no prob Wink

- MariusTh86 - 2011-12-16

The tvshow.nfo file has a URL embedded in it that points XBMC to the episode list so that it can download the episode data on it's own. (Eventually/hopefully I'm gonna make it so that you can download individual episode data yourself)

So, this generally works well, unless either the TVDB is temporarily unavailable (Check your internet connection or the TVDB website), or if the TVDB just doesn't have the episode info for your show yet.
The TVDB is pretty quick to add episode data though, unless you're checking for anime or very unpopular shows?

Maybe make sure that when you add files to XBMC, that the content source is set to something, so that even without a NFO file it would be able to use the content source such as the 'TVDB' scraper to get information for your shows.

I hope this helps, and thanks for the support! ^^

- Dzigg - 2011-12-17

MariusTh86 Wrote:The tvshow.nfo file has a URL embedded in it that points XBMC to the episode list so that it can download the episode data on it's own. (Eventually/hopefully I'm gonna make it so that you can download individual episode data yourself)

So, this generally works well, unless either the TVDB is temporarily unavailable (Check your internet connection or the TVDB website), or if the TVDB just doesn't have the episode info for your show yet.
The TVDB is pretty quick to add episode data though, unless you're checking for anime or very unpopular shows?

Maybe make sure that when you add files to XBMC, that the content source is set to something, so that even without a NFO file it would be able to use the content source such as the 'TVDB' scraper to get information for your shows.

I hope this helps, and thanks for the support! ^^

Hey, thx for the response. Hmm, my internet is fine, and tvdb does have the episodes. I also already set the content source..

I suspect maybe because I use pre-eden with an afp source? ( it has given me all sorts of trouble, like not being able to download artwork with artwork downloader)..

anyways, no worries, all I have to do is refresh that particular tv shows and it will update the episode's name and info..

some things - erg345 - 2011-12-17

hi and thank you for your time and effort to build a good program :-)

1)
please have a look at this video. broken graphic.
http://screencast.com/t/wjssTljEM

2)
this thread does nothing since 20 minutes. how can i stop it? where is the cancel button? its not even possible to quit the program (but killing this poor little fellow is possible)
that was all after the first start of your fine program :-)
i tried it some other days and times, sometimes it seems that the fetching-thread freezes and i can't do anything but kill you program :-(
a cancel button would be of great help.

3)
i'm having trouble using the manual search? maybe i do not understand how it works? or it could be more userfriendly/intuitive?
http://screencast.com/t/0ttxv6q7

4)
when i start your program, it takes about 5 minues to pop up. the reason, i guess, is, that i'm via WLAN connected and my files are on a NAS and your program wants to verify something on startup. so, if i'm right, could you please add an option to not check any files (or whatever) on startup?

thanks again and keep up the good work :-)

- MariusTh86 - 2011-12-17

Now THATS a detailed way of showing me what's going wrong! xD

1) I think I found this one, so it may be fixed in the next release.

2) No cancel button was easier to make at the time, it just doesn't leave much room for errors such as random hanging.
I'm trying to make one for the next release, but i think i'm doing it the hard way...
I'm also trying to make sure that it won't just 'hang' there, but stop the action if something goes wrong.

3) I guess the dialog isn't as user friendly as I hoped. ^^
The idea is like the safari or Finder search field, you just press the 'enter' or 'return' key to start a manual search.

4) This has been requested a lot, and i've already done some work on it. Wink
In the next version, it'll read the list from a sort of database, however it'll still download images from the file's location whenever you make a selection.

- phassat - 2011-12-18

This isn't compatible with Lion, is it?

I was downloading the app then try to put in some avi into the app without no success, drag and drop result nothing and manually add a folder was useless as well….. Confused

- MariusTh86 - 2011-12-18

I'm using Lion myself, and it's fully compatible.

The way it works is, you add a 'movies' folder to the app, and in the movies folder you have several movies within folders like so:

Movies
- Movie Title
- - Movie File Name.avi
- Movie Title 2
- - Movie File Name 2.avi

If this is not the case, movies won't show up in the list, but you can use the tools menu, and select the 'sort movies into folders' option which will sort any movie it will find inside the added folder into it's own folder.

- dsync89 - 2011-12-18

Hey there Marius, if I had been using Ember Media Manager in the past, will ViMediaManager be able to read those .nfo files that is scraped by it?

- MariusTh86 - 2011-12-18

Since both have to follow the XBMC standard, the NFO's are readable by both Ember and ViMM, and most other media managers that write NFO files for XBMC. Wink