Kodi Community Forum
OS X ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: OS X ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! (/showthread.php?tid=109976)

RE: [MAC] ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - MariusTh86 - 2012-11-19

@mjccox: Thanks, I'll do my best to make ViMM the best!. Wink

@edbware: Thank you very much for the positive comment!

@Vaneska: There's no such option yet, but i've been thinking about how to do so.
And thanks for pointing that bug out, it's crashing on a non existing recommendation from TMDb, I had fixed this for the first page of recommendations, but forgot to do the same for the follow up pages.
It should be fixed in the next dropbox build. Wink

RE: [MAC] ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - edbware - 2012-11-19

It would be a nice feature to command and/or shift select from the list for renaming purposes. Instead of one at a time or batching the whole list.

RE: [MAC] ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - chander - 2012-11-19

Awesome app! Thanks a million for your hard work.

RE: [MAC] ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - gizmotoy - 2012-11-20

Wow. This is great. I've been keeping Parallels around in order to use Ember on Windows, and this has almost everything I'm looking for in a good-looking package.

I'm using 0.6a7. I have a couple questions/suggestions:
1) What is the little conversation icon? I was able to figure out the others, but that one eludes me.
2) If I force a trailer download and a trailer can't be found, the "No trailer found" box is behind the "Downloading: Trailer" box. I have to press Stop on the downloading Trailer box instead of clicking OK on "No trailer found". When I do so the program locks up.
3) I have a library of 500+ movies, and I'm getting lockups every once in awhile. Usually when the preferences pane is open. Force quiting and opening back up seems to fix it for awhile. I'd be willing to help debug if you have some things for me to try.
4) Is there a way to make it download the trailer when you click "Fetch Metadata"? I've been doing it manually.
5) Would you consider making the filename and foldername renaming rules separate? I like to have the primary audio track type in my filename (ex: "moviename (year) - dts-hd.mkv"), but you wouldn't really want that in the folder name. Having the ability to have the audio type in the filename can be useful if, for example, I have a media player that can't handle certain audio encodings, like DTS-HD MA or TrueHD.
6) The ability to select multiple titles. For example, select 10 movies, and mark them all as watched or download a trailer.
7) Now that I think of it, a keyboard shortcut to mark a movie as watched absent #6 above.

Anyway, that's my bug report/feature wishlist. If there's anything I can do to help out, let me know.

RE: [MAC] ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - MariusTh86 - 2012-11-21

@gizmotoy:
1) The conversation stands for availability of subtitles, i've made it a little clearer for the next release.
2) If you're using the cocoa version, it's buggy like that, i try my best to fix it, but weird things are happening every now and then to mess it up, if it's not the cocoa version, i'll try my best to figure out what's going wrong.
3) Again with the cocoa version possibility of weirdly random hangups, though I haven't encountered the one you mentioned.
There are experimental builds available from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2s3f8uhh8jh1l0q/0seaBWnMqs
The stablest one would be the 'Intel' only version.
4) Lot of times asked, and I really want to get this to work right, but so far, i haven't yet succeeded in making it download a trailer, the processing goes on to the next item in the process before it finishes downloading, and usually finishes the process with the download still in progress, and when the process is finished, the download gets cut off.
5) This one i've already thought of! in the preferences under 'General', there's an option called "Rename:" with the options of "Folders" or "Files & Folders".
The "Folders" option makes the rename function only affect folders, and the "Files & Folders" similarly affects both files and folders.
6) I don't know how to work with multiple selections yet, so its not yet available. ^^;
7) I'll look into it.

File bug reports whenever you find a bug, make interesting feature requests and perhaps do a translation if you know a language besides english. Wink

RE: [MAC] ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - gizmotoy - 2012-11-21

I will do that, thank you.

Regarding 2) and 3), I wasn't using the Cocoa version, but I'll try the latest experimental builds. If it's still present, I'll try to get something repeatable I can work into a bug report.

Regarding 5), I did see that, but this is a bit different (and with the ability to add the audio type). The suggestion was to rename both the files and folders, but rename them differently. So there would be one rename rule for the folder, and a different one for the files. For example, in shorthand:
Folder = %moviename (%year)
Files = %moviename (%year) - %audio_codec

And again, these were just some suggestions of things I'll miss from Ember. You've already got an excellent base here to build on.

RE: [MAC] ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - MariusTh86 - 2012-11-22

Interesting idea, i'll have to write that down! ^^

RE: [MAC] ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - xabi - 2012-11-28

Hi MariusTh86! Have you made any update on the plot/outline thing?

(2012-11-11, 19:50)MariusTh86 Wrote: And plot:
Currently it's falling back to english if it's available and localised is not, since plot is generally a summarised summary.
If it's preferred to cut off and grab the first one or two lines from the full plot instead, i'll look into that as well.

Thanks for your work!

RE: [MAC] ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - Glorious1 - 2012-11-28

Hi, I just downloaded 0.6a7 to check it out. It started with a splash screen offering to take me through a series of tips on how to get started, but it was frozen, I couldn't continue or skip. I had to force quit.

When I restarted, luckily that screen didn't come back. I went through all the menus and icons, but I couldn't see anything that looked like it would import or allow me to point it to movies. Nor could I drag anything into the application window. And there was no + at the lower left, only a - and a gear-wheel. So I couldn't do anything. Am I stupidly missing something? Maybe I should try the 0.5.4 version. (I'm using a MacBook Pro mid-2010, with OS X 8.2 Mountain Lion)

Despite this experience, I'm very excited for the program. It looks like it will be very elegant and helpful. Thank you!

I previously installed Sick Beard from the source code, since everyone seems to rave about it. But it seems to be very focused on finding and downloading TV episodes. I can't see much use for it for movie management.

EDIT - I finally found how to add media - in the preferences! Trying to download things for a few movies. It is going into a permanent stall trying to download a few things, but what an othewise polished app!

RE: [MAC] ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - Glorious1 - 2012-11-29

Maybe one of you more experienced users can answer this question. In one of the menus there is an item that says something like "put movies in folders" (I'm at work and don't remember the exact wording). I was hoping this meant that the program could "folderize" a folder full of movies and related files (with related files named the same as the movie).

But the program doesn't seem to even look at media unless it is in its own movie-named folder. Have I got that right? So a folder structure is necessary BEFORE using VMM? Does anyone know an automatic way to folderize a movie collection?
Thanks.

RE: [MAC] ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - gizmotoy - 2012-11-30

(2012-11-29, 22:55)Glorious1 Wrote: Maybe one of you more experienced users can answer this question. In one of the menus there is an item that says something like "put movies in folders" (I'm at work and don't remember the exact wording). I was hoping this meant that the program could "folderize" a folder full of movies and related files (with related files named the same as the movie).

I believe you're talking about the "Keep Media Folders Organized" option. I'm afraid to turn in on in case it works in the way you describe, and was meaning to ask myself.

I have a folder with hundreds of movies in it, each nicely organized in their own folder. I'm afraid checking the box will cause ViMediaManager to try to move stuff around.

So, I'd also be interested to hear what it is exactly that option does. Does it only apply going forward to new movies that are added, or does it try to apply to everything currently in the database?

RE: [MAC] ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - MariusTh86 - 2012-11-30

You're right, a movie is only 'recognised' if it's in a folder inside one of the 'added' movie folders, 'Put movies in folders' should help you put movies that aren't' in a folder yet into a recognisable structure.
So you've already found the automatic way to folderize a movie collection, the 'put movies in folders' option. Wink
Once you run it, it should start recognising the movies that weren't in folders before.

The "Keep Media Folders Organized" option is to automagically 'rename' folders while scraping for information, based on the renaming pattern inside the preferences, and the movie name and/or other metadata.
It will only apply on new movies that are added, it won't change any existing movies until after you fetch/update information for an item, it's basically doing the same as the 'Tools' > 'batch rename' option, but for during fetching information, or while editing metadata, so you don't have to run the 'batch rename' option every time you want to keep your folder/movie files named pretty.

RE: [MAC] ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - Glorious1 - 2012-11-30

Great information Marius, thanks. And just so you know, I am going through this thread (at least the 2nd half) and copying such information into a draft user guide, along with what I've been able to figure out for myself. I don't know if you are working on such a thing yet. But when it has enough content I will send it to you in case you want to edit it and make it available.

RE: [MAC] ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - MariusTh86 - 2012-12-01

That's great! I'd love to be able to include a user guide with ViMM. Wink

Some work had been started, but it didn't go anywhere, so I'd love to see a usable user guide.
Feel free to ask/email me any questions that may improve the guide! ^^

RE: [MAC] ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X! - Glorious1 - 2012-12-02

I haven't seen other people report this so thought I would mention it. Often while using ViMM and even after it is closed (often by force-quit), my fans are running on overdrive. This time I checked the CPU in Activity Monitor. It was nearly 100% used by mediainfo, half a dozen entries. I quit those and it settled down quickly.

Marius, if you have trouble with mediainfo and want to consider another option, there is another command-line program called ffprobe (part of the Ffmpeg project). It can give results in a variety of machine-readable formats, including JSON, which I gather you are already using for something else. http://ffmpeg.org/ffprobe.html But I tried and it doesn't seem to be able to directly read the files on my system that are causing problems for mediainfo/ViMM - for me these are ISOs that have AVCHD inside (the BDMV stuff). But if you open it all up and drill down to the m2ts file and give it that, it reads it fine.

Jim