Kodi Community Forum
Auto skip TV series intro - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Auto skip TV series intro (/showthread.php?tid=110006)

Pages: 1 2

Auto skip TV series intro - Endless - 2011-09-12

That would be something out of the ordinary compare to any others media players out there! And would realy make this awesome media player stick out more Nod

The idéa is to regionist a pattern that are being played in all TV-season.
First you obvious have to look for files whit same prefix name and maybe look if it can contain something like: S01E01 or 1x01 (the number can be anything)

Then when you play the first episode it will record the first 10 minutes of the audio and see if any part of it will repeat itself in episode 2, then you properly know how long each intro is and then hopefully just skip those 30-60 seconds in the third episodes.

- isamu.dragon - 2011-09-13

pray tell how this would be used for lets say The Simpsons.
You have the long version and the short version (plus even the couch gag doesn't stay the same length).

Also compare shows like Breaking Bad or The Closer that have little to no intro.

And what about Items that show on previous episode, that would null and void the config you just suggested

- Endless - 2011-09-13

I have not seen Breaking Bad or The Closer, so i don't know how it's.
The Simpsons in other hand is quite unik and might have to be an exception. Maybe add the option to chose what series to skip intros on would be a solution. Another solution could be if you manualy teach the pattern, telling it where to begin the recordnision and where to end it.

A smart/advance pattern would become better the more series you look at. after (lets say) 10 episodes you know the series include some retelling story from episode 8-9, after that start the intro that have followed from very first episode that you want to skip.

Most series i follow have the exact same intro. I know you must have seen Family guy. They are up to 220+ episodes? every intro is 30 Sec and have the same intro. 30*220/60 = 110 minutes of waste time.

- Sranshaft - 2011-09-13

Endless Wrote:Most series i follow have the exact same intro. I know you must have seen Family guy. They are up to 220+ episodes? every intro is 30 Sec and have the same intro. 30*220/60 = 110 minutes of waste time.

One click of the right arrow usually does the trick for me.

- Martijn - 2011-09-13

Sranshaft Wrote:One click of the right arrow usually does the trick for me.

Indeed. Just skip it if you don't want to watch it.
I can imagine that adding this is hard to program. Another thing is that some people don't want to skip the intros so this would be adding another option somewhere.

- 0wing - 2011-09-13

And this "pattern recognition" would probably take longer to run than just watching the intro of every episode.

Skip or ffwd already does the job.

- krish_2k4 - 2011-09-13

Sranshaft Wrote:One click of the right arrow usually does the trick for me.

+1

- gabbott - 2011-09-13

Endless Wrote:Most series i follow have the exact same intro. I know you must have seen Family guy. They are up to 220+ episodes? every intro is 30 Sec and have the same intro. 30*220/60 = 110 minutes of waste time.

As was mentioned, if you hit the right arrow on the remote, by default it is configured to skip forward 30 seconds.

- isamu.dragon - 2011-09-13

Endless Wrote:I have not seen Breaking Bad or The Closer, so i don't know how it's.
The Simpsons in other hand is quite unik and might have to be an exception. Maybe add the option to chose what series to skip intros on would be a solution. Another solution could be if you manualy teach the pattern, telling it where to begin the recordnision and where to end it.

A smart/advance pattern would become better the more series you look at. after (lets say) 10 episodes you know the series include some retelling story from episode 8-9, after that start the intro that have followed from very first episode that you want to skip.

Most series i follow have the exact same intro. I know you must have seen Family guy. They are up to 220+ episodes? every intro is 30 Sec and have the same intro. 30*220/60 = 110 minutes of waste time.
Point taken except look at the episode "Lois kills Stewie" it has a last time, previously on screen.
Things like this happen for every show that has 2 parters.
How can it skip after that part?
Also futurama has the cartoon gaga as well as the intro sub text.

This is a large reason I have to go with the just press right on your remote to skip 30secs.

- clubwerks - 2011-09-13

Not the best idea. Nothing that skip forward can't fix.

RE: Auto skip TV series intro - Rokanishu - 2012-10-08

*BUMP*

I think this is a great idea. I have my computer set up in my media room and i like to Queue a lot of shows in a row, then press play and sit back on the couch and not have to mess with the keyboard to play another episode. As such I dont like to have to get up to skip one of the many bad or long intros in some shows, i dont know how most other people are with that but i just wanna get on with the show instead of wasting my time with what are essentially commercials for the show I'm literally about to watch, over, and over, and over.

I dont really see why this would be too difficult, VLC now has something similar, they have tick marks on the progress bar to show you where the intro and end credits are.

i didn't really wanna start a new thread seeing as how this one already existed. What do you guys think? Would this be easy to implement into xbmc? maybe an add-on that someone could make?

RE: Auto skip TV series intro - Martijn - 2012-10-08

We use a remote

else maybe look at this:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Userdata/advancedsettings.xml#.3Cedl.3E

And never say something isn't difficult

RE: Auto skip TV series intro - artrafael - 2012-10-08

(2012-10-08, 08:47)Martijn Wrote: And never say something isn't difficult
... unless you can do it yourself and know for a fact that it is not difficult to do... in which case, please provide the patch. Wink

RE: Auto skip TV series intro - Ned Scott - 2012-10-08

(2012-10-08, 08:38)Rokanishu Wrote: I dont really see why this would be too difficult, VLC now has something similar, they have tick marks on the progress bar to show you where the intro and end credits are.

Chapter markers? XBMC supports that too.

RE: Auto skip TV series intro - Rokanishu - 2013-03-13

(2012-10-08, 08:47)Martijn Wrote: We use a remote

else maybe look at this:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Userdata/advancedsettings.xml#.3Cedl.3E

And never say something isn't difficult

Yea i use a remote as well with flirc, and youre right, i shouldnt say it's easy as i wouldnt even begin to know where to start to program something like this. Thanks for the link as well, ill look into that and see if i cant figure something out for myself.

I still think this would be a cool feature/app when watching TV Marathons, but i know it takes a lot of planning and programming so I really don't expect to see this implemented for a while, if ever.