Kodi Community Forum
New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: PVR (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=136)
+---- Thread: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth (/showthread.php?tid=110694)

RE: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - kburkart - 2012-09-06

(2012-09-06, 19:27)Aubrien Wrote: I saw that he merged some translations into github on Aug 31. The anticipation is killing me since MythTV seems to be the only linux backend that I can use with my HD PVR and IR blaster setup. I am checking this thread like crazy though hoping to see something from tsp.

How are you doing IR blasting? When I try to use the LIRC.send inside of the xml file it causes the system to crash.

RE: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - fiveisalive - 2012-09-06

(2012-09-06, 10:46)guyrichie Wrote: Hello all,

May be going over old ground here but...

Have tsp's changes to XBMC source code been pushed to Team XBMC? I believe the libcmyth addon will only work with tsp's branch of XBMC?

I think all changes that tsp made that he had submitted back to odk's repo will have, in turn, been propagated back to upstream xbmc core master. There are probably changes in tsp/xbmc that have not (yet) been sent to odk, and therefore are not in upstream xbmc. The major change that probably isn't yet in tsp's repo is to conform with the new PVR add-on repo (as I was describing above):

https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc-pvr-addons

Quote:What of the development of timeshifting (pause, fast-rewind and fast-forward of live TV), this is present in tsp's branch of XBMC but not in others?

Many thanks,
Guy

I am not sure about the exact status of those features. Hopefully tsp42 will show up soon. As I previously pointed out (and was just reiterated), he last pushed to tsp/xbmc on August 31, so he hasn't been absent for that long (although it's been a few weeks since he posted on this thread), no doubt because he was waiting until the main PVR core support was pushed upstream.

RE: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - RandomNinjaAtk - 2012-09-06

I posted the date 8/13 based on his forum username logon activity and I guess it wasn't the most accurate way of checking.

RE: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - Aubrien - 2012-09-06

(2012-09-06, 19:34)kburkart Wrote: How are you doing IR blasting? When I try to use the LIRC.send inside of the xml file it causes the system to crash.

I am running Debian Wheezy and mythtv-backend 0.25. The lirc_zilog kernel module from media_build (git://linuxtv.org/media_build) does the blasting and the hdpvr module gives me the /dev/video0 device file. When I modprobe the lirc_zilog i had to pass a kernel parameter tx_only=1. This disabled the IR reciever on the HD PVR but allowed the transmit to still work. When you complile media_build be sure and do a make stagingconfig before you do a make and make install. Otherwise lirc_zilog wont get made.

With all of that in place you should be able to irsend from a shell. If that works then you can make a channel change shell script. When defining the settings in myth you can give an external channel change command. Use the shell script that you developed. I can provide more details if needed once I get home.

RE: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - kburkart - 2012-09-06

(2012-09-06, 20:51)Aubrien Wrote:
(2012-09-06, 19:34)kburkart Wrote: How are you doing IR blasting? When I try to use the LIRC.send inside of the xml file it causes the system to crash.

I am running Debian Wheezy and mythtv-backend 0.25. The lirc_zilog kernel module from media_build (git://linuxtv.org/media_build) does the blasting and the hdpvr module gives me the /dev/video0 device file. When I modprobe the lirc_zilog i had to pass a kernel parameter tx_only=1. This disabled the IR reciever on the HD PVR but allowed the transmit to still work. When you complile media_build be sure and do a make stagingconfig before you do a make and make install. Otherwise lirc_zilog wont get made.

With all of that in place you should be able to irsend from a shell. If that works then you can make a channel change shell script. When defining the settings in myth you can give an external channel change command. Use the shell script that you developed. I can provide more details if needed once I get home.

I don't need it for channel changing, basically want to capture power on /off and volume up down from the remote and transmit the appropriate code to the amp and tv.

RE: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - Aubrien - 2012-09-06

Could you perhaps use a universal remote that always sends volume up/down to the amp and can send a power off to all devices with the power all button? I use a harmony 200 remote from walmart that I got for $20 and it does the trick. You may also want to look into the CEC stuff that Lars and pulse 8 are working on. The issue with the HD PVR transmitter is the firmware with the possible transmit signals looks like it only has support for cable boxes and satellite boxes. I'm not sure if it will be able to do much with your TV or amp. Also, the IR blaster only has a small beam so you probably wont be able to face it to see all of your equipment at once.

RE: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - raptorjr - 2012-09-07

(2012-09-06, 22:43)kburkart Wrote: I don't need it for channel changing, basically want to capture power on /off and volume up down from the remote and transmit the appropriate code to the amp and tv.

Couldn't you solve that with a multi remote that can handle macros?

RE: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - dodoadoodoo - 2012-09-07

(2012-09-06, 19:04)RandomNinjaAtk Wrote: Anyone know if tsp42 is alive and well? He hasn't been on the site since 8/13. Maybe he's been busy with life.... Anyways, he probably has not seen the news about the PVR branch being merged with XBMC Core because he hasn't been on...

I think he is busy with other stuff. See this post for hints :-)

/D

RE: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - kburkart - 2012-09-10

(2012-09-07, 08:43)raptorjr Wrote:
(2012-09-06, 22:43)kburkart Wrote: I don't need it for channel changing, basically want to capture power on /off and volume up down from the remote and transmit the appropriate code to the amp and tv.

I would rather not have to purchase any more equipment. I have the same htpc remote at every TV in the house. The idea is for every location to work exactly the same button wise, much easier for the wife. I know the ir transmitters can do what I want. The only problem lies in the XBMC code. When I call the built in LIRC.irsend commands it causes XBMC to crash.

RE: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - Aubrien - 2012-09-10

Can you do an irsend from the shell? Will it control the devices as expected? If you can get it to work on the shell then you can come back to XBMC but to get it working from a shell would eliminate a variable in your equation. The worst case would be to have your buttons launch shell scripts that in turn called irsend, bypassing the need for LIRC.irsend all together.

RE: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - mzanetti - 2012-09-11

(2012-09-10, 20:40)kburkart Wrote:
(2012-09-07, 08:43)raptorjr Wrote:

I would rather not have to purchase any more equipment. I have the same htpc remote at every TV in the house. The idea is for every location to work exactly the same button wise, much easier for the wife. I know the ir transmitters can do what I want. The only problem lies in the XBMC code. When I call the built in LIRC.irsend commands it causes XBMC to crash.

I use irexec for this. This is what I have in my /etc/lirc/lircrc

begin
prog = irexec
remote = mceusb
button = Power
config = tvzap ON
end

"tvzap" is a script that calls irsend in the appropriate sequence to turn on/off my TV.

RE: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - kburkart - 2012-09-11

(2012-09-11, 00:36)mzanetti Wrote:
(2012-09-10, 20:40)kburkart Wrote:
(2012-09-07, 08:43)raptorjr Wrote: Couldn't you solve that with a multi remote that can handle macros?

begin
prog = irexec
remote = mceusb
button = Power
config = tvzap ON
end

"tvzap" is a script that calls irsend in the appropriate sequence to turn on/off my TV.

Excellent, I will have to give that a try. So I assume this all happens inside of the lirc module and doesn't have anything to do with XBMC?

RE: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - allen00se - 2012-09-14

Raspberry Pi now allows purchasing of Mpeg2 hardware decoding!!! Or so it looks anyway, I have yet to have time to give it a try. This seems like great news if I am reading it right. Anyone feel like making a XBMC "cmyth" build for a pi?

http://www.raspberrypi.com/license-keys/

RE: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - stupiduglyfool - 2012-09-14

@allen00se I believe there is already a project for this.. http://www.raspbmc.com/

RE: New MythTV add-on using libcmyth - kburkart - 2012-09-14

(2012-09-11, 16:20)kburkart Wrote:
(2012-09-11, 00:36)mzanetti Wrote:
(2012-09-10, 20:40)kburkart Wrote: I would rather not have to purchase any more equipment. I have the same htpc remote at every TV in the house. The idea is for every location to work exactly the same button wise, much easier for the wife. I know the ir transmitters can do what I want. The only problem lies in the XBMC code. When I call the built in LIRC.irsend commands it causes XBMC to crash.

begin
prog = irexec
remote = mceusb
button = Power
config = tvzap ON
end

Excellent, I will have to give that a try. So I assume this all happens inside of the lirc module and doesn't have anything to do with XBMC?

That worked like a charm! Thx.

Now if we can get the live tv tuner channel change down to 2-3 seconds I'd be like a pig in slop!