Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

- eskro - 2011-11-25

im not talking about where is the CIR lol

im saying, how to know if it has at least 1 USB port that has 5V continuous current when in S5 state?

- Balinus - 2011-11-25

eskro Wrote:im saying, how to know if it has at least 1 USB port that has 5V continuous current when in S5 state?

Not only that, you also need a motherboard that explicitly permit the wake-on-usb from a S5 state. So, it's hardware (USB port with 5vSB current) and also software (BIOS).

Luckily, that's what I have and I didn't look for that!

- eskro - 2011-11-25

Asrock fm1 ftw!!

- voip-ninja - 2011-11-25

Balinus Wrote:Yes. As in "Power ON from a total shutdown state".

I was surprised that I could!

I don't think you are booting from a cold shutdown. ASRock has a "rapid boot" feature that makes it look like the PC is off but it's really not. Chances are you are not in a full, cold shutdown when it boots up the way you describe. I have never heard of a motherboard working this way.

- Balinus - 2011-11-25

voip-ninja Wrote:I don't think you are booting from a cold shutdown. ASRock has a "rapid boot" feature that makes it look like the PC is off but it's really not. Chances are you are not in a full, cold shutdown when it boots up the way you describe. I have never heard of a motherboard working this way.

I don't know. The only thing I know is that I shutdown the usual way in W7 and that later on I can boot from the remote. The boot process seems exactly similar as a usual booting process (i.e. not faster than usual).

Moreover, I didn't install anything besides the drivers and instant boot seems software related (you need to install it and I didn't). I'll look into that and post back my findings.

The way it looks on youtube, instant boot seems really nice! 4-5sec to boot??! Smile

edit - From : http://www.asrock.com/feature/instantboot/
Quote:Installation Procedure

Execute the Instant Boot installation program under Windows.
After the installation is completed, you should find an Instant Boot icon on the Windows desktop.
Double click the Instant Boot icon on the desktop, then Instant Boot main menu will pop up.
On Instant Boot main menu, you can choose "Fast Mode", Regular Mode" or "Disable Instant Boot". After that, please click "Apply".
When you want to shut down the computer, please simply select "Shut Down" from Windows "Start menu".

I never installed this software on the PC.

- eskro - 2011-11-25

nice feature

- voip-ninja - 2011-11-27

Balinus Wrote:I don't know. The only thing I know is that I shutdown the usual way in W7 and that later on I can boot from the remote. The boot process seems exactly similar as a usual booting process (i.e. not faster than usual).

Moreover, I didn't install anything besides the drivers and instant boot seems software related (you need to install it and I didn't). I'll look into that and post back my findings.

The way it looks on youtube, instant boot seems really nice! 4-5sec to boot??! Smile

edit - From : http://www.asrock.com/feature/instantboot/

I never installed this software on the PC.

I guess I will have to give it a try. I have a similar ASROCK motherboard and am not aware of ever having been able to boot it from a cold shutdown with the HP USB IR that I am using.

- eskro - 2011-11-27

voip-ninja Wrote:I guess I will have to give it a try. I have a similar ASROCK motherboard and am not aware of ever having been able to boot it from a cold shutdown with the HP USB IR that I am using.

that'd be cool! keep us updated voip! thx

- Balinus - 2011-11-28

voip-ninja Wrote:I guess I will have to give it a try. I have a similar ASROCK motherboard and am not aware of ever having been able to boot it from a cold shutdown with the HP USB IR that I am using.

Update the Bios as pyrospawn wasn'T able to boot with the initial firmware. Mine is 1.40.

The HP IR receiver is on the USB ports aligned with the eSATA port (other USB ports doesn't seem to work). You need to enable the feature in the BIOS (hard to find, I'm at work now so can't tell you where is the option).

Finally, you need to start your computer manually the first time, let it boot then shut it down normally. Then, you should be able to coldstart it with the remote.

- eskro - 2011-11-28

i would really like to know if this works for you voip!
again, keep us up2date, thx

- bluray - 2011-11-28

Balinus Wrote:Update the Bios as pyrospawn wasn'T able to boot with the initial firmware. Mine is 1.40.
Do you know the exact BIOS 1.40 that you updated? There are several 1.40 listed under my E350M1/USB3.

Balinus Wrote:The HP IR receiver is on the USB ports aligned with the eSATA port (other USB ports doesn't seem to work). You need to enable the feature in the BIOS (hard to find, I'm at work now so can't tell you where is the option).
If the option is available in 1.40, it shouldn't be hard to find in the BIOS setting. I do have HP IR receiver and HP 7MCE remote control. Are you referring to the port as shown in the RED line below?

- Balinus - 2011-11-28

bluray Wrote:Do you know the exact BIOS 1.40 that you updated? There are several 1.40 listed under my E350M1/USB3.

If the option is available in 1.40, it shouldn't be hard to find in the BIOS setting. I do have HP IR receiver and HP 7MCE remote control. Are you referring to the port as shown in the RED line below?

I used the Instant Flash 1.40 (This one). installed it on a USB drive, gone into the BIOS and used the Instant Flash utility.

I used the upper port, so just the one above the red arrow. Though the I/O panel is different on my A75M-ITX, so the port might differ.

- eskro - 2011-11-28

i think thats correct Blu

- bluray - 2011-11-28

Balinus Wrote:I used the Instant Flash 1.40 (This one). installed it on a USB drive, gone into the BIOS and used the Instant Flash utility.

I used the upper port, so just the one above the red arrow. Though the I/O panel is different on my A75M-ITX, so the port might differ.
I believe that I installed the Instant Flash since August. My HP IR happen to connected to the USB port above the red arrow. I'll verify the option in bios later.

- bluray - 2011-11-28

eskro Wrote:i think thats correct Blu
I'll let you know later today. If it work, it'll be another AsRock MOBO for A8-3800 or A6-3600 HPTC. I'm pretty sure that my wife and kids will have a say on this...! Smile