Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

- bluray - 2011-12-23

Nexxo Wrote:If I'm not happy with the HP receiver I will definitly be getting the inteset CIR one.
You'll be very happy with HP IR and Z68m-ITX/HT "ASRock On/Off Play" option. HP IR is very responsive and have good ranges too. But for those without "ASRock On/Off Play" option, Inteset with CIR option is a great choice!

- pike - 2011-12-23

Nexxo Wrote:Yes it will, it does not plug into the CIR port but just one of the rear USB ports. If you look earlier through this thread you will see details about it.

Hmm, surely you don't expect just *any* receiver to be able to power on a machine? The 'Power On' functionality doesn't sit in the USB connector, it's special CIR pins if I understand things correctly.

- Balinus - 2011-12-23

pike Wrote:Hmm, surely you don't expect just *any* receiver to be able to power on a machine? The 'Power On' functionality doesn't sit in the USB connector, it's special CIR pins if I understand things correctly.

Or a motherboard that supports S5 wake from USB. It is indeed hardware related.

- EGOvoruhk - 2011-12-24

pike Wrote:Hmm, surely you don't expect just *any* receiver to be able to power on a machine? The 'Power On' functionality doesn't sit in the USB connector, it's special CIR pins if I understand things correctly.

That's what I thought as well. Can we get someone who owns the right hardware to test it out and verify for us?

I've been looking at this board for quite some time now, and if I know I can get CIR working for powering the unit on from a cold state (Not from standby/S5) using a generic MCE receiver (Especially on the rear ports), I'm pulling the trigger. But right now, I'm still confused on the CIR specifics

Nexxo, any chance you can do some testing on your board for us? Maybe give us a little spreadsheet/diagram of what works and what doesn't?

- voip-ninja - 2011-12-24

EGOvoruhk Wrote:That's what I thought as well. Can we get someone who owns the right hardware to test it out and verify for us?

I've been looking at this board for quite some time now, and if I know I can get CIR working for powering the unit on from a cold state (Not from standby/S5) using a generic MCE receiver (Especially on the rear ports), I'm pulling the trigger. But right now, I'm still confused on the CIR specifics

Nexxo, any chance you can do some testing on your board for us? Maybe give us a little spreadsheet/diagram of what works and what doesn't?

You can't use any USB receiver with a CIR motherboard, and you can't use the rear ones.

There is an internal header for CIR and you need to wire that to either a port on the case (and then plug in a CIR compatible receiver to that port), or wire an internal CIR device to the CIR header on the motherboard..

In any case, to get power from cold boot using CIR you need a CIR USB IR, like the Inteset one and you need to hook it up direct to the mobo.

- npcomplete - 2011-12-24

I have Asrock z68 pro-m board and a non-cir receiver + remote. I tried to hookup the receiver to CIR header, but it doesn't work. The CIR is more like a serial/COM port with RX and TX pins while USB has D+ and D- pins that do not go together.

The motherboard also has wake on usb [power on from PS2, USB keyboard/mouse]. So I was hoping to start the PC using this feature using the remote.
But when I set it up in bios and shutdown the machine refuses to shutdown. Windows seems to be unloaded but the system was still running. The chasis fan and the CPU fan were still running. I have to force shutdown the machine, but after shutdown the remote or the keyboard keypress has no effect.

- sheffwed - 2011-12-25

Hi, Newbie here, I've been reading this thread with great interest. I was about to get the ASRock A75M-ITX, the same as Balinus' for the USB S5 on function. However, I would really like to get the A75 Pro4-M for its DVI port, extra expansion slots and its orientation will fit better in my Silverstone case. Does anyone have any experience of this booting form a S5 state like the ITX version? The bios update page does not show the "improves usb mouse function," so am not sure it will work.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

- eskro - 2011-12-25

hard to say up front without owning the board sheffwed,
but it still has CIR option so, your good to go.

- sheffwed - 2011-12-25

eskro Wrote:hard to say up front without owning the board sheffwed,
but it still has CIR option so, your good to go.

Thanks for your reply. Think I'm going to play it safe and go for the ITX board, also means I can install it on pretty much any case later.

- eskro - 2011-12-25

right on!

- johnny87au - 2011-12-26

So once i have my remote + receiver setup all i do is hit the power button on my remote ?

- eskro - 2011-12-26

just like Balinus said,
when u turn on the BIOS feature "wake on USB"
you should be able to turn on your PC from a total shutdown state.

- johnny87au - 2011-12-26

Oh awesome, Thanks dude.. Is it just plug and play with the remote? Or do you have to manually configure it.. Also do any MCE remotes do the job ?

- eskro - 2011-12-26

win7 labeled remotes are pretty much plug and play, yes

- johnny87au - 2011-12-27

Wow awesome , thanks heaps man Smile