Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

- bluray - 2012-01-16

leftywhat Wrote:Not interested in the CIR (and not sure why people bother, unless you're trying to be discrete and not have a external box/receiver?) so I'll be using the USB IR that will be coming with the remote.
With proper wiring, the CIR option will work. If you're not careful, you can damage stuff.

leftywhat Wrote:One last question then, so what was this crap about the USB IR Receiver not working with a keyboard, or was the off-topic/not relevant?
I'm not sure. My bluetooth keyboard come with USB IR, and it work fine from any angles!

- svtfmook - 2012-01-16

my motherboard doesn't have a wake on usb option (just ps/2)

what are my options to have my computer sleep and wake up using my harmony and flirc?

- TeKo - 2012-01-18

Ok,
So I have my Win7 HTPC running.
Board is an Asrock A75M, IR is the VRC-1100 and the Remote is a Harmony 750.

2 Questions:
1st Can I use MS MCE Remote profile with that IR? I tried the HAMA profile and its working but MS doesnt seem to work.

2nd How can I turn on the PC with the remote?

- dannycorker - 2012-01-24

Looking to boot/shutdown an AsRock A75M using my Harmony One. Are there any BIOS settings etc that need tweaking? IR Receiver is currently sat in the rear IR ports, and I don't seem to be able to use it at all when power is off. Do I have to set the Harmony to send a specific MCE Remote command? (ie Power Toggle)

Thanks!

- eskro - 2012-01-24

TeKo Wrote:Can I use MS MCE Remote profile with that IR? I tried the HAMA profile and its working but MS doesnt seem to work.

if your USB IR Receiver registers as a eHOME Infrared Transceiver in device manager, then, yes!
u can use your harmony and emulate a MICROSOFT MCE KEYBOARD...

- eskro - 2012-01-24

dannycorker, there's a BIOS setting you need to turn ON.
i dont recall exactly how its named but its something like
"Power ON from USB Keyboard/Mouse" ...

eskro Wrote:dannycorker, there's a BIOS setting you need to turn ON.
i dont recall exactly how its named but its something like
"Power ON from USB Keyboard/Mouse" ...

Thank you - I assume this will force the 'S5 sleep'? Not entirely sure what all these terms mean Laugh

- TeKo - 2012-01-24

Yea was no ehome IR but got everything running perfectly with EventGhost as Shell. so nice.

dannycorker Wrote:Thank you - I assume this will force the 'S5 sleep'? Not entirely sure what all these terms mean Laugh

I am not sure but I just tried to shut it down with my harmony then pull the plug and was able to turn it on with the remote so its seems is was completely off.

idk maybe it was to short.

Seems to be working fine now Big Grin have been reading in the thread that adding extra USB devices seems to stop the functionality? I assume the fix is to flick off the main power switch at the back and then back on again?

- eskro - 2012-01-24

dannycorker Wrote:Thank you - I assume this will force the 'S5 sleep'? Not entirely sure what all these terms mean Laugh

to sum'it up, different ''states'' are as follow...

S1: PC is ON
S2: PC is Sleeping
S3: PC is also Sleeping but consumes less power then S2
S4: PC is Hibernating
S5: PC is OFF

eskro Wrote:to sum'it up, different ''states'' are as follow...

S1: PC is ON
S2: PC is Sleeping
S3: PC is also Sleeping but consumes less power then S2
S4: PC is Hibernating
S5: PC is OFF

Oh I see, thanks again for the help!

Is there anyway to disable what I assume is wake-on-LAN? If I click on 'Network' on one of my other Windows computers it seems to turn the HTPC on Huh

- eskro - 2012-01-24

on the computer that actually turns ON,
in its device manager,
under Network Devices
you should see its LAN card,
Right click on it and click on Properties.
then Click on the Power Management tab.
Uncheck Allow this device to wake the computer.

- hcabrita - 2012-01-25

Offtopic:

Is anybody using eventghost with an IR "gun" to control other devices on the same room with just one remote control?

- TeKo - 2012-01-25

Btw I tested again you cant turn on the Asrockboard after powerloss also you have to plug the IR in before you shutdown the PC.

- r1lee - 2012-01-26

TeKo Wrote:Btw I tested again you cant turn on the Asrockboard after powerloss also you have to plug the IR in before you shutdown the PC.

Which board?