Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

- eskro - 2012-02-08

tell us how it goes!

- leftywhat - 2012-02-09

Balinus Wrote:It works with my HP remote and HP IR USB (see sig for link to my remote). Though, it's not reliable (doesn't work after I plug a device in a USB port -> needs to unplug everything then re-plug everything to make it work again). I turn on from S5 with my RF keyboard, which works 100% of the time.

The keyboard sits next to my HP remote, so I just press any button when I go take my remote, so not much additional work to do.

Wait, so are you telling me, after this entire thread, that the crap doesn't even really work?

I have the HP remote (old version) + IR USB, but if I'm going to have to unplug everything and then re-plug everything to get it to work, then its pointless and imo, doesn't work properly.

I'm going to have a wireless keyboard+mouse setup (for surfing net/fps/sc2, probably logitech MK520), along with the HP remote, and then probably a usb hub for Xbox controllers that will get plugged in/out all the time.

I find these small keyboard/mousepad in one devices a bit of a pain, because you cannot type properly, you cannot game properly and the mouseball/pad a bit fiddly.

Another silly thing is the phone app that turns it into a remote control. I'm not leaving my phone in the lounge room for my brother to turn on the pc and control xbmc. Its more a fancy feature that is not very practical unless you live by yourself.

- pettergulbra - 2012-02-09

Hi
I have searched and trying out some things, but now I have to ask. Because what I`m want to do, I can`t find any good conclusion on. I use Hamonu One Remote.

I have a eHome receiver, that works to turn on and off into S3, after what I see.
I had to install the MST to make this work (MCE Stanby Tool). Found it with hours of searching.

But I need some help with how to make my setup work, if it is possible.

My computer is on 12 hours at night (from 00 at night to 12 at day).

I want the computer to go to sleep when I`m not using it the part at day it is normal off. (12 to 00) If I want to watch a movie the Harmony starts the computer then start XBMC. When finish it ends XBMC and turns off the computer (sleep mode S3). This I think is not a problem.

But if I watch a movie at night I don`t want the computer to be shut down. Then it should be on. Then the computer after what I find out, have to block the command in that hours perspectiv to go to sleep mode. Is this possible, to make the pc not go to sleep mode between some time (00 to 12)? Eaven if the remote sends the signal it should?

And is it possible to make the computer goes automaticly in to sleep mode (S3) at 00 with an Sheduled Task? I found out how to use this to turn off, but not sleep mode (S3).
Then I suddenly found the solution for make the computer go in to sleep (S3):
Make shortcut with this:%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
Or make a scheduled task with this target:%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe and args: powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

Hope someone wants to help me? Laugh And if more info is needed please ask.

- Mandrix - 2012-02-09

I see that Simerac, that makes the remote control power switch, is now giving Feb 15 as deadline for including media control.
Sounds like a pretty good solution to me, depending on price. I don't mind doing a little wiring; can't be worse than building a pc from scratch.
http://www.simerec.com/index.html

- Balinus - 2012-02-09

leftywhat Wrote:Wait, so are you telling me, after this entire thread, that the crap doesn't even really work?

I have the HP remote (old version) + IR USB, but if I'm going to have to unplug everything and then re-plug everything to get it to work, then its pointless and imo, doesn't work properly.

Yes, it doesn't work properly. I rely on my keyboard, next to my remote on my books library. When I go get my remotes, I just press any key on the RF keyboard. Suits me, even though I would have liked the power up with the remote to be reliable....

- r1lee - 2012-02-09

eskro Wrote:tell us how it goes!

So Beta firmware 1.70 still doesn't work for me. The HP USB IR does not register in the Bios (only keyboard and mouse are seen as USB connected devices) at all and has no ability if I hit the DELETE key (mapped on the Harmony) to get into the Bios upon powering on if the keyboard/mouse is not plugged in.

It only starts working when Windows boots up. URGH...

- r1lee - 2012-02-09

Balinus Wrote:Yes, it doesn't work properly. I rely on my keyboard, next to my remote on my books library. When I go get my remotes, I just press any key on the RF keyboard. Suits me, even though I would have liked the power up with the remote to be reliable....

Balinus,
can i ask you when you go into your Bios and in the USB Connection menu. It will show Keyboard and Mouse connected, and since you have the HP USB IR also connected, does that show up as a connected device?

- hcabrita - 2012-02-09

To confirm the info beeing said around here:
Asrock A75M-HVS + MCE Remote.
It only powers on with the remote after windows boots once.

No much of a problem for me though, cause the audio amplifier I have is an old goodie, and I still have to get up from the couch to turn it on Big Grin

- Balinus - 2012-02-09

r1lee Wrote:Balinus,
can i ask you when you go into your Bios and in the USB Connection menu. It will show Keyboard and Mouse connected, and since you have the HP USB IR also connected, does that show up as a connected device?

I'll check tonight to be sure. From memory though, I think the HP USB IR wasn't shown.

- r1lee - 2012-02-09

hcabrita Wrote:To confirm the info beeing said around here:
Asrock A75M-HVS + MCE Remote.
It only powers on with the remote after windows boots once.

No much of a problem for me though, cause the audio amplifier I have is an old goodie, and I still have to get up from the couch to turn it on Big Grin

this is what is driving me nuts.

I have booted this sytem with a keyboard install. Then removed and restarted it with XBMC through shutdown, Doesn't work.

Then i boot up the system with only the HP IR installed and then shut it down thrugh XBMC and it still won't turn on.

The HP unit is receiving the command, just not powering it on.

Has anyone actually ever tried this with a Harmony? Instead of the supplied MCE remote? Or could this be related to the model of the HP IR Dongle?

Balinus Wrote:I'll check tonight to be sure. From memory though, I think the HP USB IR wasn't shown.

thanks and appreciate it.

- pettergulbra - 2012-02-09

pettergulbra Wrote:My computer is on 12 hours at night (from 00 at night to 12 at day).

I want the computer to go to sleep when I`m not using it the part at day it is normal off. (12 to 00) If I want to watch a movie the Harmony starts the computer then start XBMC. When finish it ends XBMC and turns off the computer (sleep mode S3). This I think is not a problem.

But if I watch a movie at night I don`t want the computer to be shut down. Then it should be on. Then the computer after what I find out, have to block the command in that hours perspectiv to go to sleep mode. Is this possible, to make the pc not go to sleep mode between some time (00 to 12)? Eaven if the remote sends the signal it should?

And is it possible to make the computer goes automaticly in to sleep mode (S3) at 00 with an Sheduled Task? I found out how to use this to turn off, but not sleep mode (S3).
Then I suddenly found the solution for make the computer go in to sleep (S3):
Make shortcut with this:%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
Or make a scheduled task with this target:%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe and args: powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

I think I have made this happen. I found a program called Don`t sleep. It looks like i works. If I can conclude with it works for this, I will tell.

- Mandrix - 2012-02-10

I just bought an Asrock Z68 PRO3-M board, and would like to make sure my facts are straight about using the Inteset IR receiver.

1)This is the one on Intesets site listed as Intel CIR.
http://shop.inteset.com/Products/5-ir-reciever-wcable-for-intel-cir-motherboards.aspx

2)I have to rewire for the Asrock header.

3)Do I need a software driver, and if so which one.

4)Will work with Harmony remotes.

Thanks much for any help, I'm rebuilding my HTPC with the Asrock mobo and nMediapc 5000B case, and pretty much a noob in the HTPC world.

- pettergulbra - 2012-02-11

pettergulbra Wrote:I think I have made this happen. I found a program called Don`t sleep. It looks like i works. If I can conclude with it works for this, I will tell.

But still there is a problem.
If I sit an watch a movie, when the PC is set to go to sleep (12), it goes to sleep even if it is in use. How to prevent this?

- leftywhat - 2012-02-11

Balinus Wrote:Yes, it doesn't work properly. I rely on my keyboard, next to my remote on my books library. When I go get my remotes, I just press any key on the RF keyboard. Suits me, even though I would have liked the power up with the remote to be reliable....

Ok, we'll I shall do the same then, I will just power up via keyboard instead.

Least now I have a variety of other brand motherboards to choose from I guess since it doesn't work properly.

- Mandrix - 2012-02-11

Mandrix Wrote:I just bought an Asrock Z68 PRO3-M board, and would like to make sure my facts are straight about using the Inteset IR receiver.

1)This is the one on Intesets site listed as Intel CIR.
http://shop.inteset.com/Products/5-ir-reciever-wcable-for-intel-cir-motherboards.aspx

2)I have to rewire for the Asrock header.

3)Do I need a software driver, and if so which one.

4)Will work with Harmony remotes.

Thanks much for any help, I'm rebuilding my HTPC with the Asrock mobo and nMediapc 5000B case, and pretty much a noob in the HTPC world.

Going back and rereading some more, is the IR receiver Asrock sells to plug into the CIR header going to / might enable a cold boot?
I've reread everything but still a little confused.