Kodi Community Forum
How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? (/showthread.php?tid=111310)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Skank - 2012-08-03

Ok
Here's my question

Planning to buy asrock A75M
with one of these:

ms-tech mc-380 or silverstone Ml03b case (or another one?)

I want to be able to put it on/off with my harmony one remote
So how do i do this and what do i need exactly?

Im not sure if the a75m jas the CIR-connection, since the shop has different a75m boards...

Help needed pls. Thx!

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Bleikur - 2012-08-23

Inteset ships to EU, no worries.

I on the other hand have ordered the CIR receiver from Inteset and was wondering what device in the Logitech Harmony software database corresponds to the CIR receiver.

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - truthlesshero - 2012-08-30

i have a quick question related to this topic..

I have an ASRock A55M-hvs...which has a CIR header

if I buy the ASRock smart remote, it should be able to turn the htpc on and off? doesn't matter which version of xbmc I'm running (xbmcbuntu)?

also, how is it hooked up? I didn't see any "plug" from the case that fits in the CIR header?...how is it physically set up or do i need a case that is also compatible?

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Bleikur - 2012-08-30

(2012-08-30, 13:55)truthlesshero Wrote: also, how is it hooked up? I didn't see any "plug" from the case that fits in the CIR header?...how is it physically set up or do i need a case that is also compatible?

I have the ASRock A75 Pro4-M and for me it was a choice between three options:
  1. Buy a case that has a built in CIR reiceiver
  2. Buy a case that does not have a built in CIR adapter and
    • buy a USB IR adapter to plug into a USB port at the front of the case.
    • buy a CIR receiver from Inteset and drill a small hole through the case front panel for the IR eye.
I decided for the third option, but my new motherboard turned out to be broken so I haven't had a chance yet to try it out. Sad

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - truthlesshero - 2012-08-30

(2012-08-30, 14:35)Bleikur Wrote:
(2012-08-30, 13:55)truthlesshero Wrote: also, how is it hooked up? I didn't see any "plug" from the case that fits in the CIR header?...how is it physically set up or do i need a case that is also compatible?

I have the ASRock A75 Pro4-M and for me it was a choice between three options:
  1. Buy a case that has a built in CIR reiceiver
  2. Buy a case that does not have a built in CIR adapter and
    • buy a USB IR adapter to plug into a USB port at the front of the case.
    • buy a CIR receiver from Inteset and drill a small hole through the case front panel for the IR eye.
I decided for the third option, but my new motherboard turned out to be broken so I haven't had a chance yet to try it out. Sad

ahh...thought so. since the header on the mobo was the same way as the usb headers, i figured that my case needed a hook up for it

so my best bet is to get a usb ir with a remote?
drilling is not an option, i am the least handy of handymen...hehe

see, i don't have a problem pushing the power button (*GASP*)..but my girlfriend does not like using our android phones as remotes (i do..hehe)...but the choices for xbmcbuntu remotes to work "out of the box"...from what i read, are VERY limited if not non-existent

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - johnny87au - 2012-09-08

Is this still working for EDEN? Sorry havent been online for a while..

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Whitehead685 - 2012-09-08

I’ve finally managed to completely power on and power off my HTPC to/from an S5 state whilst maintaining the full funtionality of my MCE remote without those annoying double key presses or any other applications.

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - Predi-ger-many - 2012-09-08

I'm using the following solution to turn on my HTPC.

Infrared Receiver 1

Receiver from HFX Vista GP. This is a Topseed remote with external receiver (HFX delivers a kit so that the receiver can be used internal).
The receiver is a fully compatible MCE device (ehome) and the remote is ok. But it can't power on the system.

Infrared Receiver 2

Streacom (Wesena) internal Receiver. This is a MCE compatible receiver (Streamcom says: RC-6 and MCE compatible). The remote
from this receiver is SHIT (some buttons are not working or doesn't exist) and the receiver (current revision) is definitely not RC6... I tested it.
Setup of Harmony with this receiver / remote is painfully

Remote

Logitech Harmony One

Setup (with +5V SB on USB)

HFX receiver connected to USB internal.
Powerswitch --> Streacom receiver --> motherboard.
Streacom receiver connect to USB but: PIN 2 and 3 (the data pins) removed... only VCC (+5V) and GND connected... we need only the power Big Grin

This requires that the motherboard delivers +5V Standby on USB if the HTPC ist powered off. If the bios has option like
"power on by usb from s3", "power on by pme" the motherboard supports +5VSB.

Remark: removing PIN 2 and 3 from USB is not required. This prevents that the OS detects an USB receiver.

Setup (without +5VSB on USB... if motherboard doesn't support it)

HFX receiver connected to USB internal.
Powerswitch --> Streacom receiver --> motherboard.
Streacom receiver connected directly to ATX instead to USB
- USB PIN 1 (VCC +5VSB) --> ATX PIN 9 (usally violet)
- USB PIN 4 (GND) --> ATX any GND PIN

ATX PIN 9 delivers every +5VSB.

Harmony Setup

Adding a new Microsoft MCE remote to the harmony... this is compatible with the HFX receiver. The Harmony
has by default 3 power softkeys: power on, power off, power toggle.

Remove the power toogle:

settings --> customize keys --> additional keys

Now the power toogle doesn't exist... but power on and off.

Programming the power on:

Learn the power command from Streacom Remote (binary) to Power on soft key.

Result

The Harmony has two power switches (on and off). The Power on switch is programmed from Streacom Remote.
All other commands are MCE remote default. If the system will be powered on the Harmony sends the power on command
to Streacom receiver. All other commands (including power off) will be send to the HFX receiver.

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - scrolling - 2012-09-09

I use this IR receiver from Simerec to turn on/off my HTPC. This allows me to use the same remote I use for my TV.

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - jammyb - 2012-09-09

(2012-09-09, 05:27)scrolling Wrote: I use this IR receiver from Simerec to turn on/off my HTPC. This allows me to use the same remote I use for my TV.

oooooh! nice find! i wanna try this with an Acer revo 3700 but inside a new case!

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - scrolling - 2012-09-09

(2012-09-09, 11:25)jammyb Wrote:
(2012-09-09, 05:27)scrolling Wrote: I use this IR receiver from Simerec to turn on/off my HTPC. This allows me to use the same remote I use for my TV.

oooooh! nice find! i wanna try this with an Acer revo 3700 but inside a new case!

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not one for having a half dozen remotes laying around. I like having one remote that controls all of my devices. So with my TV remote I control the Blu-ray player, satellite box and my HTPC. Also, in conjunction with that IR switch I got a Flirc dongles to control XBMC.

Furthermore, I didn't have to pay an arm and leg for one of those Harmony Remotes.

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - henningdalgaard - 2012-09-19

Has anyone tried this? It looks like the perfect product.

The PCS-MA

Power switching and media control, all-in-one.
No drivers required. Win/Linux compatible.
Use your own MCE (RC6), universal (set to MCE RC6), or Harmony remote (set to MCE RC6).
External IR receiver head on 6 foot cable -- full or short height slot plate, your choice.
Included USB cable connects to external USB PC plug for fast, reliable installation.
Three internal power connection options available.

$49 + Shipping

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - swan14 - 2012-10-10

Hey guys,

I just bought an Intel CIR receiver to use with my HTPC running XBMCbuntu and my Harmony 700 remote.

I can't get it to work (nothing responds to the Harmony remotes commands etc..)

I just did a quick install of W7 with a spare HDD I had and it works fine (I can control Windows MC etc) - so I know none of the hardware is broken etc..

I'm thinking it's something to do with me running XBMCbuntu and thus a linux thing issue?

Any ideas? Otherwise I'm thinking of just switching to XBMC on W7 instead...

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - swan14 - 2012-10-12

Bump...

Anyone, anyone?

RE: How to Power ON/OFF your HTPC using a Remote? - eskro - 2012-10-12

to get harmony remotes to work with Linux,
the choice of IR receiver is crucial...
the CIR INTESET might not work out for you.