Kodi Community Forum
Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Maraschino (formerly HTPC Frontend) - a summary web interface for your XBMC HTPC (/showthread.php?tid=113136)

- steve1977 - 2012-01-06

guy_smiley:) Wrote:I believe you would be referring to me. I am still trying to get XBMC's JSONRPC to work as a reverse proxy. Once this works, I believe posters should be visible on an external network. Anyone who could help with this, it would be much appreciated.

Yes, thanks for contributing! What I don't understand is why it works to show the recently updated shows/movies, but not the posters. Is that the same behavior you are experiencing?

- mrkipling - 2012-01-06

steve1977 Wrote:Yes, thanks for contributing! What I don't understand is why it works to show the recently updated shows/movies, but not the posters. Is that the same behavior you are experiencing?

I can view posters and thumbnails when using Maraschino from my office computer (Maraschino is installed on my HTPC/server in my living room). Just to check, do you have it set up the following way (or similar?)

I use a dynamic DNS service to get my own nice-ish URL (for example genericusername.dyndns.org) and have the client installed on my HTPC to update my IP whenever it changes, as it is not static and my stupid ISP won't let me buy one.

Then I edited my /etc/hosts file for computers on my local network to map the local IP address of my server (e.g. 192.168.0.10) to genericusername.dyndns.org. This means that typing genericusername.dyndns.org from will actually request 192.168.0.10.

Then, when entering settings for any module into Maraschino, instead of entering 192.168.0.10 under hostname/IP, I just enter genericuser.dyndns.org. This way it works perfectly on both local and external networks.

Apologies if you're already familiar with this technique and are experiencing a different problem, it's the only thing I could think of that might be causing it.

If you are in fact experiencing a different problem, do you have any more useful info that might be helpful? Can you use Firebug or Chrome Inspector to look at these broken image thumbnails? What is in the img src attribute? What happens if you try to open one of these images directly in the browser?

- steve1977 - 2012-01-06

mrkipling Wrote:I can view posters and thumbnails when using Maraschino from my office computer (Maraschino is installed on my HTPC/server in my living room). Just to check, do you have it set up the following way (or similar?)

I use a dynamic DNS service to get my own nice-ish URL (for example genericusername.dyndns.org) and have the client installed on my HTPC to update my IP whenever it changes, as it is not static and my stupid ISP won't let me buy one.

Then I edited my /etc/hosts file for computers on my local network to map the local IP address of my server (e.g. 192.168.0.10) to genericusername.dyndns.org. This means that typing genericusername.dyndns.org from will actually request 192.168.0.10.

Then, when entering settings for any module into Maraschino, instead of entering 192.168.0.10 under hostname/IP, I just enter genericuser.dyndns.org. This way it works perfectly on both local external networks.

Apologies if you're already familiar with this technique and are experiencing a different problem, it's the only thing I could think of that might be causing it.

If you are in fact experiencing a different problem, do you have any more useful info that might be helpful? Can you use Firebug or Chrome Inspector to look at these broken image thumbnails? What is in the img src attribute? What happens if you try to open one of these images directly in the browser?

Thanks for your reply. We basically have the same setup with one small, but probably important difference. Maraschino und XBMC do not run on the same machine, so while Maraschino can be accessed through genericuser.dyndns.org, XBMC is accessed via genericuser.dyndns.org/XBMC. I believe that the link below may indeed fix my problem and I will try once I am back home.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93002

Haven't tried it yet, but there is hope.

If it does work, I am still confused why the issue is only the posters and not the actual recently added movies and other XBMC related stuff.

Anyhow, let me give it try later and report back!

- mrkipling - 2012-01-06

Another important update Smile (these seem to be coming quite frequently these days)

The "experimental" branch is no more. It has been deleted. If you have been using the experimental branch the please go back to the master branch:

Code:
git checkout master
git pull

You will probably (although not definitely, I'm not 100% sure) need to delete your database, as the experimental branch got a bit out of control:

Code:
sudo rm /path/to/maraschino/maraschino.db

Then, restart whatever web server you are using and load up Maraschino again. You should have a fresh Maraschino installation waiting for you in your browser.

There are various good reasons for removing the experimental branch, but basically it wasn't headed in the right direction for Maraschino. Anything and everything was merged in, things were broken, and many things didn't make the cut for master. After a lengthy discussion with gugahoi we took the joint decision to remove it.

In it's place, some time over the coming weeks, we are likely to implement a "prerelease" branch or similar. This will contain upcoming features that might not be rock-solid but will be more polished and very, very likely to make it into the master branch. We feel that that this approach is better than the previous "experimental" approach.

Apologies for users who are using experimental, but please understand that Maraschino is still an early-stage project and we're still figuring out the best way of doing things. We feel that this is going to be best in the long run.

- Shaolin - 2012-01-06

mrkipling Wrote:There are various good reasons for removing the experimental branch, but basically it wasn't headed in the right direction for Maraschino. Anything and everything was merged in, things were broken, and many things didn't make the cut for master. After a lengthy discussion with gugahoi we took the joint decision to remove it.

In it's place, some time over the coming weeks, we are likely to implement a "prerelease" branch or similar. This will contain upcoming features that might not be rock-solid but will be more polished and very, very likely to make it into the master branch. We feel that that this approach is better than the previous "experimental" approach.

Apologies for users who are using experimental, but please understand that Maraschino is still an early-stage project and we're still figuring out the best way of doing things. We feel that this is going to be best in the long run.
Fair comment, I was using both branches (master & experimental) but experimental broke on me anyway so I take your point.

I look forward to seeing what leaps and bounds Maraschino has achieved upon my return from holibobs Big Grin

Hasta la vista

Shaolin

- DejaVu - 2012-01-06

Does this mean the Library search feature has now vanished from existence?

- mrkipling - 2012-01-06

DejaVu Wrote:Does this mean the Library search feature has now vanished from existence?

At the time of writing, yes.

But I can guarantee that it will be coming back, and soon, hopefully this weekend. Not only will it be coming back but it will even look a little bit nicer Smile

- lowfi - 2012-01-07

I have 3 xbmc installs which use a mysql library. Can i install Maraschino on the server where the mysql library is located? This server doesnt run xbmc....

- mrkipling - 2012-01-07

lowfi Wrote:I have 3 xbmc install which use a mysql library. Can i install Maraschino on the server where the mysql library is located? This server doesnt run xbmc....

You can install Maraschino anywhere you want; in the server config section of Maraschino you just enter the IP or hostname and user/pass of whichever XBMC installation you want to control.

Currently Maraschino will only control one XBMC installation, but I definitely want it to support multiple installations soon (I also have more than one XBMC box with a central MySQL library).

- lowfi - 2012-01-07

Hi thanks i have it running now. Would be great if in the future you could find a way to connect to the mysql db directly.

Looking forward to updates Wink

- mrkipling - 2012-01-07

In case any Maraschino users would like to return the favour and help spread the word, I've added some social media sharing options to the official Maraschino homepage. You can now easily like us on Facebook, Tweet about us, +1 us on Google Plus (if anyone still uses that), and do a bunch of other stuff too - all with the click of a button.

Your support would be much appreciated (although totally not required or expected, obviously, if you're not into the whole social media thing) - but if you want to help spread the word then you can do so at maraschinoproject.com.

Shameless plug over. As you were Smile

EDIT: dear God, there's even a Facebook fan page now. I've been busy....

- gugahoi - 2012-01-08

mrkipling Wrote:In case any Maraschino users would like to return the favour and help spread the word, I've added some social media sharing options to the official Maraschino homepage. You can now easily like us on Facebook, Tweet about us, +1 us on Google Plus (if anyone still uses that), and do a bunch of other stuff too - all with the click of a button.

Your support would be much appreciated (although totally not required or expected, obviously, if you're not into the whole social media thing) - but if you want to help spread the word then you can do so at maraschinoproject.com.

Shameless plug over. As you were Smile

EDIT: dear God, there's even a Facebook fan page now. I've been busy....

Ha! Awesome!!

- gugahoi - 2012-01-08

This is a request for developers and advanced users that can provide some valued feedback:

It would be great if you could try out my new REMOTE attempt. It is completely different than the one before as it now works for every key in the keyboard and it also acts exactly as a keyboard attached to the target machine. I believe some kinks might have to be ironed out but all in all it seems to be fully functional now. The pull request is already open here and you can find it in my repositories' "remote" branch. You guys can send me a private message with feedback if you prefer.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

- N3MIS15 - 2012-01-08

tried it out, but nothing appeared. I assume the icon should be in the top right, but there is nothing there.

Using ff10beta

EDIT: its there in chrome

- gugahoi - 2012-01-08

N3MIS15 Wrote:tried it out, but nothing appeared. I assume the icon should be in the top right, but there is nothing there.

Using ff10beta

EDIT: its there in chrome

Thanks for checking it out, i tried in ff10 and it was there. Graphically is the same as before (the same code even) so if you could see it before you should see it now, maybe flush the cache?