Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Watchlist script (was 'Adding Plex's 'On Deck' feature to XBMC') - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: Skin helper addons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=300)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Watchlist script (was 'Adding Plex's 'On Deck' feature to XBMC') (/showthread.php?tid=113702)

- Rastan - 2011-12-23

ronie Wrote:i have created a ticket for this issue:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12318

Thankyou Smile

- _Mikie_ - 2011-12-23

Hitcher Wrote:When and if the skinner adds it.

Thanks I'll request it in the skin section

- umOuch - 2011-12-24

General Question.
Is this script known to be working on ATV2? I have not had any luck getting this script to work on either the reFocus skin or the Quartz 2.0 skin. In these respective threads there are numerous people who have it working and multiple ATV2 members that are not having any luck. Every time I pull it up I receive a blank screen.

I just thought I would check to see if there is any advice or skins known to be working with this that are usable on the ATV2?

- ezechiel1917 - 2011-12-28

Love this script Smile
Just wondering... what's expected speed to get the results of this script (with local sqlite db)?
Is it ok to expect 30s on Atom , and 4s with i5-2500 for ~100 tv shows (= ~40ms total time for 1 show)? Can I tweak something to get faster results even on i5 platform?

- ronie - 2011-12-28

ezechiel1917 Wrote:Love this script Smile
Just wondering... what's expected speed to get the results of this script (with local sqlite db)?
Is it ok to expect 30s on Atom , and 4s with i5-2500 for ~100 tv shows (= ~40ms total time for 1 show)? Can I tweak something to get faster results even on i5 platform?

i think it's gonna be difficult to compare speeds as it also depends on the total number of episodes you have and the number of episodes that will end up in your watchlist.

the only thing you can tweak are the options passed to the script.

- pecinko - 2011-12-28

Any plans to integrate it in xbmc like recently added is, after Eden is released?

- ronie - 2011-12-28

pecinko Wrote:Any plans to integrate it in xbmc like recently added is, after Eden is released?

nope.

- pecinko - 2011-12-29

ronie Wrote:nope.

Thanks, good to know.

May I ask why? It seams like a good feature and fetching info would be way quicker if done natively.

- ronie - 2011-12-29

pecinko Wrote:Thanks, good to know.

May I ask why? It seams like a good feature and fetching info would be way quicker if done natively.

mainly because nobody has brought it up for discussion yet.

moving it into core has it pros and cons.
it would be faster yes, but less easy to add additional features to it along the way.

a good example would be the recent request for recently added season thumbs.

if recently added was still a script, i could've added it the same day and everyone could have start using it right away.

but since it's in core, we'll have first to wait till eden is released.
then it can be added to pre-frodo, but this will mean the majority of users (who prefer stable releases) will have to wait for another year (until frodo final is released) before they can use it.

1 day vs. 1 year is a hell of a difference imo. :-)

- pecinko - 2011-12-29

ronie Wrote:mainly because nobody has brought it up for discussion yet.

moving it into core has it pros and cons.
it would be faster yes, but less easy to add additional features to it along the way.

a good example would be the recent request for recently added season thumbs.

if recently added was still a script, i could've added it the same day and everyone could have start using it right away.

but since it's in core, we'll have first to wait till eden is released.
then it can be added to pre-frodo, but this will mean the majority of users (who prefer stable releases) will have to wait for another year (until frodo final is released) before they can use it.

1 day vs. 1 year is a hell of a difference imo. :-)

Season thumbs are not good example as that could be solved in several ways but team decided differently. One major release per year and no incrementals if not necessary - team's decision.

I'm trying to say - there's more than one way to skin the cat but you have chosen the way that "returns true value" for 1.day vs 1 year "string compare". I suppose you have/had your reasons. (EDIT: just to be clear - by you I mean team xbmc here)

My suggestion is to implement global search and watched list (extended edition including most used add ons) natively. You can bring it up for discussion by team when and if you see fit.

- Jeroen - 2011-12-29

Ronie, I understand where you're coming from but I think there's a lot more to benefit from. A tighter integration would probably allow much easier skinning and flexibility. The watchlist as an add-on is s great piece of work, but having to code a list item for every possibly populated list item is kind of a PITA.

Also for instance, I think it's a shame that I cannot press "I" to bring up the information screen for movies in the watchlist, or use the context menu. Things that I, if I weren't a skinner, would expect to be possible/happen.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if something like an information screen would be implemented in the add-on this would mean it would not be able to use XBMC's dialog, but it would have to cloned/recreated as a separate dialog.

I think functionally it's very related to XBMC's core functions, I think it would be great to have it as a node in XBMC's library like recently added has been for a long time (even before the script).

I have been trying out Plex now that it's available for PC's and while I think overall XBMC is the better package the library is definitely ahead of XBMC in certain aspects. It has the watchlist functionality right up there in the library nodes which I think provides great benefits. For instance it also allows the ondeck functionality to be used on "files" content. Overall, just a better integrated and streamlined feature set.

- Martijn - 2011-12-29

For now an add-on was the best way. Maybe looking at the future it would be nice if went in as maybe a binary add-on to keep the core as clean as possible?

I also noticed (and maybe has been mentioned before) that each time when you play trailer and it finishes the script get run. That doesn't matter if you have a small library or power machine but i can image for small htpc this might be a problem.
For example if you use CE or a trailer add-on the script will be run quite a few times.

- Hitcher - 2011-12-29

I've noticed this problem on my OpenELEC machine and did think of suggesting we make it optional that it's run in the background and let the user decide how it operates but I'll let ronie decide what he wants to do.

- Hitcher - 2012-01-02

@ ronie

Something strange is happening with my music images. If I use them in a thumb control for static content some of them don't show up and upon investigating they're actually linking to last.fm.

PHP Code:
<thumb>$INFO[Window.Property(WatchList_Album.1.Thumb)]</thumb

ie http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/300x300/44412295.png

If however I use an icon control they appear correctly using special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Music/...

PHP Code:
<icon>$INFO[Window.Property(WatchList_Album.1.Thumb)]</icon

Why would this happen?

Thanks.

- ronie - 2012-01-02

Hitcher Wrote:@ ronie

Something strange is happening with my music images. If I use them in a thumb control for static content some of them don't show up and upon investigating they're actually linking to last.fm.

ie http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/300x300/44412295.png

If however I use an icon control they appear correctly using special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Music/...

Why would this happen?

Thanks.

no idea really, which of the two values do you get if you use it in a label control?