Kodi Community Forum
XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread) (/showthread.php?tid=113824)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

- Lucleonhart - 2012-02-15

Short question for raspbmc and xbmc-devs:
Will there be multiple versions for the raspberry? As far as i can see, davilla is developing a version for this (so official xbmc?) and then there is raspbmc as a stand-alone project, correct?

- davilla - 2012-02-15

Lucleonhart Wrote:Short question for raspbmc and xbmc-devs:
Will there be multiple versions for the raspberry? As far as i can see, davilla is developing a version for this (so official xbmc?) and then there is raspbmc as a stand-alone project, correct?

I would imaging yes, that seems to be the linux way. fork and do your own thing. Raspberry Pi (or rpi as we call it) support will get rolled into mainline code. How this gets built into a distro is up to those doing packaging/distros for it.

- voochi - 2012-02-16

jordandk Wrote:What are you talking about, I consider mine a medium-end consumer setup it cost around 8000 dollars all inclusive my surround, but without projector, screen and tv.

But I can hear a big difference between DTS core and DTS-HD. Same with DD and DD True HD.

To call an $8000 sound system 'medium-end' is pretentious in the extreme.

However I have come to expect such pretention from hi-fi nuts and 'audiophiles'.

- aKILLies - 2012-02-17

I am no doubt going to purchase one of these when made available in the next couple days. Though I do have a question I hope somebody can answer.

While ripping my collection I save all my movies in ISO format to preserve quality, will the raspberry PI be able to handle videos in ISO format, all the demos I have seen have shown h264 codec being used so I am just curious if it will handle ISO fine or should I start converting to MKV?

- Jimmer - 2012-02-17

aKILLies Wrote:I am no doubt going to purchase one of these when made available in the next couple days. Though I do have a question I hope somebody can answer.

While ripping my collection I save all my movies in ISO format to preserve quality, will the raspberry PI be able to handle videos in ISO format, all the demos I have seen have shown h264 codec being used so I am just curious if it will handle ISO fine or should I start converting to MKV?

I'd go mkv since we know h264 will be hw accelerated. There is a question mark over mpeg2 at this point......

- Sam.Nazarko - 2012-02-17

aKILLies Wrote:I am no doubt going to purchase one of these when made available in the next couple days. Though I do have a question I hope somebody can answer.

ISO is just a container.

- Ned Scott - 2012-02-17

ISO for DVD contains mpeg-2

ISO for Bluray can contain one (or more) of the following: h.264, VC-1, mpeg-2

- Begall - 2012-02-18

One of the comments on a blog post at their site noted that the Rasp Pi would likely have enough grunt to software decode SD MPEG2 content (I.e SDTV content in the UK, yay), but not HD.

- pumkinut - 2012-02-18

Jimmer Wrote:I'd go mkv since we know h264 will be hw accelerated. There is a question mark over mpeg2 at this point......
The container should, for the large part, be irrelevant.

- Jimmer - 2012-02-19

pumkinut Wrote:The container should, for the large part, be irrelevant.

Sure, you can whack what you like in an mkv or an iso. Most people have dvd iso's which would be mpeg2, and mkv's containing h264*

*notice I said MOST people......

My post was just a reaction to the post by the guy who said he ripped his movies in ISO to preserve quality. I just assumed he was talking about his dvd collection. But then assumption is the mother of all f-ups!

I personally have ripped all my dvd's as ISO to preserve all the menus, special features, commentary, etc. Plus, if something happens to the original disc, I've got a ready-made back-up tool with no quality loss....

Anything above dvd quality, I tend to grab a mkv container with h264 in it because I still have a ATV1 with crystalhd in the bedroom and it can cope with 1080p content in this form.

COurse, that's all my personal preference/hardware limitations. Other people have other criteria/hardware. But for just working on rpi, mkv with h264 inside will probably be king....

- Sam.Nazarko - 2012-02-20

Begall Wrote:One of the comments on a blog post at their site noted that the Rasp Pi would likely have enough grunt to software decode SD MPEG2 content (I.e SDTV content in the UK, yay), but not HD.

I believe it will handle interlaced and progressive sources at 480/576i/p just fine, which covers SD PVR in the UK. Anything HD in the UK over DVBS-2 or DVBT-2 is h264 so there is no issue there. For 1080i content in MPEG2 I believe I could get it to work. With the aTV I did a lot of experimentation with clocking, GPU and CPU and it paid off. Issue is though in the case of the Raspberry Pi we would be overclocking (rather than underclocking on aTV to fix race conditions). This causes issue because, not every piece of silicon is the same obviously, and it is a warranty voider.

Still, I shall deal with that issue further on in the project.

- Pad_ - 2012-02-20

Well, I don't really like to ask this kind of things but:

davilla, since the official launch is closer than ever, could you torture us and tease us a little bit more about XBMC on RaspberryPi? Please...? :(

- CK1one - 2012-02-20

Pad_ Wrote:Well, I don't really like to ask this kind of things but:

davilla, since the official launch is closer than ever, could you torture us and tease us a little bit more about XBMC on RaspberryPi? Please...? Sad

+1 Smile

- Ned Scott - 2012-02-20

Pad_ Wrote:Well, I don't really like to ask this kind of things but:

davilla, since the official launch is closer than ever, could you torture us and tease us a little bit more about XBMC on RaspberryPi? Please...? Sad

It converts into a hoverboard incase you have to escape bullies in 2015.

- Jimmer - 2012-02-21

Ned Scott Wrote:It converts into a hoverboard incase you have to escape bullies in 2015.

Sweet, I'm definitely getting one then....