Kodi Community Forum
XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread) (/showthread.php?tid=113824)

- davilla - 2012-01-04

Keep in mind that a maxed cpu while in GUI is not necessarily that bad on an embedded platform. The CPU drops to almost nothing while playing video as that is all handled via hardware video decoders.

- AaronD - 2012-01-04

davilla, can you confirm how well the GUI responds in general with the default skin, as well as some of the heavier skins? Or even better yet, a video of other areas of the skin?

Thanks for your efforts.

- hpersson - 2012-01-04

Great news, I can't wait to buy one of these for each tv and using a central nas to host all the files.

- kushanagi - 2012-01-04

davilla Wrote:Keep in mind that a maxed cpu while in GUI is not necessarily that bad on an embedded platform. The CPU drops to almost nothing while playing video as that is all handled via hardware video decoders.

Nice work!!! could we get a bit more information on what's working and what is not? for example: sound, network, 720p/1080p video decoding?

And what are your impression on that little beast? I can't wait to get my hands on one.

- tredman - 2012-01-04

Absolutely bloody amazing! This will take xbmc to the next level

emulators? - squareeyes - 2012-01-04

Emulators would be sweet too.

- microler - 2012-01-04

Really great work, XBMC on the Pi is awesome. Will it support HDMI CEC commands (libcec) so it can be controlled by the TV remote?

- Atomic Zombie - 2012-01-04

microler Wrote:Really great work, XBMC on the Pi is awesome. Will it support HDMI CEC commands (libcec) so it can be controlled by the TV remote?

That's down to what you put on it (Live/openELEC) so yes.

- davilla - 2012-01-04

Atomic Zombie Wrote:That's down to what you put on it (Live/openELEC) so yes.

Wrong, the platform has to support a) native cec in hardware and provide a cec API that xbmc understand or b) have a USB port that can accept a cec device that libcec supports.

- Bram77 - 2012-01-04

Just stubled across this device. Very similar to the Pi, but a bit more powerful and with IR and eSata support. 99 euro is a bit too much too my taste, especially compared to the Pi. But it's great to see several alternatives popping up. We will have integrated XBMC in future TV's in not time :p

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/meet-cubox-a-tiny-arm-powered-media-centre-capable-of-running-ubuntu/

- Khivar - 2012-01-05

davilla Wrote:Keep in mind that a maxed cpu while in GUI is not necessarily that bad on an embedded platform. The CPU drops to almost nothing while playing video as that is all handled via hardware video decoders.

Is it intended to support the hardware decoding on the Raspberry PI ?
On their forum they said "We will be providing a player whilst a decent library is developed to link with the standard players out there " So It could be cool if there was a way to include their library to mplayer in order to have hardware decoding on XBMC Smile

Bram77 Wrote:Just stubled across this device. Very similar to the Pi, but a bit more powerful and with IR and eSata support. 99 euro is a bit too much too my taste, especially compared to the Pi. But it's great to see several alternatives popping up. We will have integrated XBMC in future TV's in not time :p

I read somewhere that this was an ARM7 processor and the Raspberry is ARM11 so the architecture is different so are you sure it is more powerful ? On the GPU side does someone has more infos to compare it to the Raspberry Pi ? It seems to lack hardware video encoding while Raspberry Pi doesn't. Well not that usefull for XBMC I guess but for many other things.

- XBMCisGOD - 2012-01-05

I am so excited for this, I am working on hard wiring my mother's home with future plans of attaching one of these to the back of all her tvs.Big Grin

- ZombieRobot - 2012-01-05

This looks awesome sign me up for 20 of them

- davilla - 2012-01-05

Khivar Wrote:Is it intended to support the hardware decoding on the Raspberry PI ?
On their forum they said "We will be providing a player whilst a decent library is developed to link with the standard players out there " So It could be cool if there was a way to include their library to mplayer in order to have hardware decoding on XBMC Smile

what's mplayer Smile we use dvdplayer inside xbmc and there's something different inside for use with this platform.

Khivar Wrote:I read somewhere that this was an ARM7 processor and the Raspberry is ARM11 so the architecture is different so are you sure it is more powerful ? On the GPU side does someone has more infos to compare it to the Raspberry Pi ? It seems to lack hardware video encoding while Raspberry Pi doesn't. Well not that usefull for XBMC I guess but for many other things.

arm specs can be confusing, Raspberry Pi is armv6, the other is armv7.

- Khivar - 2012-01-05

davilla Wrote:what's mplayer Smile we use dvdplayer inside xbmc and there's something different inside for use with this platform.

Oh my bad, thought it still used a mplayer fork. Same question though, will it be able to hardware decode on the Raspberry Pi ?

davilla Wrote:arm specs can be confusing, Raspberry Pi is armv6, the other is armv7.

Hmm are you sure ? Raspberry Pi is based on the BCM2835 SoC which integrates an ARM1176JZ-F processor which seems to be an ARM11 processor ( adding the fact that it has ARM11 in its name ).
http://www.arm.com/products/processors/classic/arm11/arm1176.php

Edit : Well just saw there was a difference between ARMv7 and ARM7 so you must be right Wink