Kodi Community Forum
XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: XBMC on Raspberry Pi - Wonder if this will work out? (Historical Discussion Thread) (/showthread.php?tid=113824)

- petemcfc - 2012-01-05

A quick question regarding the power supply Davilla,
It appears that the Pi can be powered by a micro usb phone charger or perhaps a standard usb-micro usb,taking into account the grunt required to run XBMC what did you use to drive it?

- Bram77 - 2012-01-05

swasheck Wrote:sorry:o

Second that Smile

- sdsnyr94 - 2012-01-05

Philmatic Wrote:Any chance of confirmation for VC-1 and MPEG 2 HW acceleration?

Also, I'm assuming bitstreaming is a pipe dream?

I am also curious about the limits of this little unit. With the aTV2, there seem to be bitrate limits and trouble with some 1080p files. I currently have issues with 720p recordings from MythTV... are we expecting the same limitations with RaspPi? Or should we expect video performance on par with a low end ION?

- davilla - 2012-01-06

If you want more info about this platform, please check out the Raspberry Pi website and wiki. I'm not going to be everyone's personal google bitch Smile

- Philmatic - 2012-01-06

I did, bastard! Tongue

But what a company puts in marketing fluff and even detailed specs doesn't always equal reality. It looks like it supports only H.264 and no PAVP so I'm gonna have to pass on this.

- petemcfc - 2012-01-06

davilla Wrote:If you want more info about this platform, please check out the Raspberry Pi website and wiki. I'm not going to be everyone's personal google bitch Smile

It was only a polite question,at the last visit to the Pi forum no one had installed XBMC on the platform and suggested what type of power supply to use to run it.
I asked the question as you are one of the few people to have had experience in running the physical version of it.
Winge over.
Thank you for your efforts,Im certain that your port will open up a new era in affordable and flexible HTPCs.

- davilla - 2012-01-06

@petemcfc; I run a dev Board that will have no resemblance of the shipping platform.

@Philmatic; All major video formats are supported, you did not search very well Smile

@All, do not PM/email me for details, I've already been hit with several and I'd rather spend time actually coding than answering PM. Sorry but I have to draw the line somewhere or I'll not get much coding done at all.

- sdsnyr94 - 2012-01-06

The reason I asked was I am thinking about re-encoding some of my library to be compliant with the aTV2... if this little bad boy can be pushed to have a higher performance, then I may hold off on those plans.

And, of course, thanks for all you do to give us the best damn media player on the planet.

- petemcfc - 2012-01-06

Thanks for clearing things up.

- cousinsp - 2012-01-06

sdsnyr94 Wrote:And, of course, thanks for all you do to give us the best damn media player on the planet.

Amen to that.

- zag - 2012-01-06

Yeh very cool development.

If you guys want to discuss the actual machine the official forums are here and there are some unofficial forums here

I'm very interested in what media player is being used on this one. I'm guessing you cant talk about it until the official hardware release.

- Philmatic - 2012-01-07

davilla Wrote:@Philmatic; All major video formats are supported, you did not search very well Smile

Broadcom's own fluff states this: 1080p30 Full HD HP H.264 Video Encode/Decode

And the Wiki for VideoCore only states 264/AVC support, ah well. As long as you say it does, I trust you. You went through all this with the Broadcom HD card in the first gen ATV 1.

Thanks for the update, and I can't effing wait to see this!

- s7mx1 - 2012-01-07

zag2me Wrote:I'm very interested in what media player is being used on this one. I'm guessing you cant talk about it until the official hardware release.

My wild guess would be gstreamer based player which is extremely popular with embedded devices.

- s7mx1 - 2012-01-07

Philmatic Wrote:Broadcom's own fluff states this: 1080p30 Full HD HP H.264 Video Encode/Decode

And the Wiki for VideoCore only states 264/AVC support, ah well. As long as you say it does, I trust you. You went through all this with the Broadcom HD card in the first gen ATV 1.

Thanks for the update, and I can't effing wait to see this!

They will at least support h264 playback. Other format support will likely involve expensive license which is impossible with $25/35 budget.

- gimli - 2012-01-07

s7mx1 Wrote:My wild guess would be gstreamer based player which is extremely popular with embedded devices.

Your guess is wrong. OMX is used on the PI.