Kodi Community Forum
Running non compressed BD media in XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Running non compressed BD media in XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=114190)

Pages: 1 2

Running non compressed BD media in XBMC - Wigglespank - 2011-11-08

Hello,
I am very new to HTPC scene and I am having a few issues getting things setup properly. I guess its best to explain what I am trying to do and then hopefully people here can tell me if its possible, or better yet point were I need to look to do what Id like to do. I just built an HTPC and am running XBMC 10.1 on a Win 7 ultimate edition PC. I would like to know if I can play the ripped BD's from the HD via XBMC. If not, do I need a External player like TmT version 5. I have it configured currently to play the disks in the drive with TmT. Im having problems importing the library. Currently, I only have one title to import. I cannot see it in the movie section. However I can see it in the video section with the appropriate fanart. When I try to play it however, it lists the various m2t files instead of playing the entire movie. I realize I may not be asking these questions correctly, and I think part of my problem is im not sure what Im looking for in order to fix my issue. I really do not want to compress the videos as mk2 or whatever, (seems to defeat the purpose of having BD, and HD space is not an issue). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

- clubwerks - 2011-11-08

I have played uncompressed BD files in XBMC many times. Here's what I've done. Like all my movies, I created a separate folder named Movie.Name (Year). I then moved the entire BD folder structure into this folder. When I set my sources I always set them up the use the folder name. Then just scrape it as normal or use your favorite media manager to manage them. Personally, I use Ember Media Manager. There's a few threads floating around on how to name the add on files, such as fanart and nfo files, which have to be named differently.

Here's the main thread I used to help me with the naming of the extra files.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=80524

- Wigglespank - 2011-11-09

Thank you so very much, that was exactly what I was looking for. Ill change the folder structure and give it another go. Thanks again.

- thethirdnut - 2011-11-09

FYI. If you use Handbrake to transcode to RF 19 quality you would be hard-pressed to see the difference and end up with a vid file 40-50% of the original typically.

The process I follow keeps the HD audio and I can't tell diff between orig m2ts and mkv staring at a plasma from a foot away.

Just food for thought since mkv's are much easier to organize too vs a full BD filesystem.

- clubwerks - 2011-11-09

I use DVDFAB to break down my original BD movies to a more manageable 15-17 GB mkv which includes keeping the HD audio track. I can't tell the difference.

Do you guys think there would be a noticeable difference on a 81" display?

- clubwerks - 2011-11-09

Wigglespank Wrote:Do you guys think there would be a noticeable difference on a 81" display?

It's not noticeable in the least on my 73" Mits DLP. I've done the test where I've watched it in it's fully glory and then ripped it to an MKV using DVDFab. There's no difference to my eyes. My TV is professionally calibrated too, I'm pretty picky.

- bluray - 2011-11-09

Wigglespank Wrote:Do you guys think there would be a noticeable difference on a 81" display?
With larger screen, you'll be happier with the original ISO or M2TS. It'll take less time to store it on HD than re-encode it. For me, I use nothing but ISO (it has all the original contents in it).

clubwerks Wrote:It's not noticeable in the least on my 73" Mits DLP. I've done the test where I've watched it in it's fully glory and then ripped it to an MKV using DVDFab. There's no difference to my eyes. My TV is professionally calibrated too, I'm pretty picky.
Well I will certainly look into that. is there one format, that is best? As far as software, Dvdfab does well?

- clubwerks - 2011-11-09

bluray Wrote:With larger screen, you'll be happier with the original ISO or M2TS. It'll take less time to store it on HD than re-encode it. For me, I use nothing but ISO (it has all the original contents in it).

It really depends on the quality of the screen, not the size.

- clubwerks - 2011-11-09

Wigglespank Wrote:Well I will certainly look into that. is there one format, that is best? As far as software, Dvdfab does well?

I use the latest version of DVDFab BluRay Ripper, v8.1.3.2. It works fine. I use the BDMV > mkv.audiocopy option. I set it at 1 pass conversion, move the file size slider all the way to the right, which maxing at bitrate at 15000. I choose the HD audio only because I have two AVRs in my house that both support HD audio and the other two are on TVs where the audio is downconverted to output directly to the TV. The audio is untouched. On my main machine, which is pretty powerful, I can process these files in ~4 hours. Sure, it takes a little time, but it saves a bunch of space and I will normally set it up to process these files at night when I'm asleep. I just wake up in the morning and move the finished files to the proper directories, then run Ember Media Manager and I'm done. I doubt there's too many people that are rocking more storage space than me, but even I can't absorb hundreds of 50GB hits. 200 movies is 10TB. That would be nearly half my total storage space.

- foghat - 2011-11-09

clubwerks Wrote:I doubt there's too many people that are rocking more storage space than me, but even I can't absorb hundreds of 50GB hits. 200 movies is 10TB. That would be nearly half my total storage space.

Are you copying more than the main movie and HD audio?

I have yet to see a 1:1 bluray rip (main movie and HD audio) come close to 50GB. Lord of the Rings Extended versions excepted.

Most of my rips fall between 15 and 28GB. Some are bigger for sure, but not many. I am using just over 6TB of space right now and have around 250 (I'm not at home to check exact numbers) 1:1 blu ray rips.

For sure takes up more space than the method you use, but I don't worry about it at all as disk space is very cheap these days.

Whereas tying my computer up for 4 hours at a time is not gonna happen - probably not a big deal if you have no movies and are starting from scratch - then just let it run over night. But trying to do that with an established collection - even if you only have 100 movies, that is about 16 days of non-stop ripping.

Edit: I am curious, have you ever done a compare with a given movie - taking a 1:1 main movie/hd audio rip vs. the method you use? I'm curious to the difference in size. What is about the average size of one of your movie files?

- foghat - 2011-11-09

clubwerks Wrote:It's not noticeable in the least on my 73" Mits DLP. I've done the test where I've watched it in it's fully glory and then ripped it to an MKV using DVDFab. There's no difference to my eyes. My TV is professionally calibrated too, I'm pretty picky.

I don't doubt you can't tell the difference - though ideally you could have both sources playing at the same time on the two of the same tvs, as that would be the best way to test.

How far do you sit from your tv? Obviously the further away, the harder it would be to discern any difference.

I sit about 6.5 feet from my 92inch screen - so I opt for the best quality possible.

- bluray - 2011-11-09

clubwerks Wrote:It really depends on the quality of the screen, not the size.
when you transcoding the original video file to smaller file, you'll loose some quality along the way. if you want to find out, you can try to transcode the 45gb avatar to 18gb avatar. you can verify the 45gb avatar and 18gb avatar on the same 73" dlp at 6.5' sitting distance. you'll find out!

- clubwerks - 2011-11-09

bluray Wrote:when you transcoding the original video file to smaller file, you'll loose some quality along the way. if you want to find out, you can try to transcode the 45gb avatar to 18gb avatar. you can verify the 45gb avatar and 18gb avatar on the same 73" dlp at 6.5' sitting distance. you'll find out!

I disagree. Please don't presume to tell me what I'll see. I've tested it out many times with many different movies. I simply can't see a difference. Maybe some people can, but I doubt it.

Plus, I still believe that video cards are the limiting factor in this equation.

I can, however, see the difference between the stock XBMC DVDPlayer and MPC HC using madVR. Quite a difference IMO.