Kodi Community Forum
Broken Weather Underground - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Weather Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=155)
+---- Thread: Broken Weather Underground (/showthread.php?tid=116668)

RE: [RELEASE] Weather Underground - Rantanplan-1 - 2015-12-27

From a quick test everything works fine so far.

Thanks.

EDIT:
As i see "$INFO[Window.Property(MapPath)]" is outdatet now, and both use the same Map paths (if i get it right) - cool.

EDIT2:
Looks like the Weather Addon gets the Lokation automaticaly, is this API related if im alowd to ask? (So if i used the API ones with that Lokation it will set it automaticaly?)

RE: [RELEASE] Weather Underground - Edworld - 2015-12-27

installed thanks!

RE: [RELEASE] Weather Underground - AidenL - 2015-12-28

Does this work in Isengard? I haven't upgraded to Jarvis yet.

RE: [RELEASE] Weather Underground - ronie - 2015-12-28

(2015-12-27, 03:56)Rantanplan-1 Wrote: EDIT:
As i see "$INFO[Window.Property(MapPath)]" is outdatet now, and both use the same Map paths (if i get it right) - cool.
it's to make it easier for skinners to support both openweathermap & wunderground.
(2015-12-27, 03:56)Rantanplan-1 Wrote: EDIT2:
Looks like the Weather Addon gets the Lokation automaticaly, is this API related if im alowd to ask? (So if i used the API ones with that Lokation it will set it automaticaly?)

yup, wunderground supports geoip.

RE: [RELEASE] Weather Underground - RavRob - 2015-12-29

This is awesome. I find it much better than openwethermap. More accurate.

Thanks for this.

RE: [RELEASE] Weather Underground - ronie - 2015-12-29

disclaimer: this is still work in progress :-)

known issue:
- kodi caches the weather map images, so they'll never get updated

for skinners:
- i probably need to add/change a few infolabels so they match the ones included in openweathermap

RE: [RELEASE] Weather Underground - Gade - 2015-12-29

Ronie, thanks for working on this again.

It's much appreciated if you use many of the same infolabels as openweathermap.

Cheers
Gade

RE: [RELEASE] Weather Underground - braz - 2015-12-31

Yes, thank you Ronie, switching back to WU makes my day!

RE: [RELEASE] Weather Underground - VonMagnum - 2016-01-02

So, to get this to work again, you essentially have to sing up to be a "developer" and then don't develop anything (i.e. lie about your reasons for wanting a key to use their APIs)Huh Yeah, thanks ,but I'll pass. They clearly don't want XBMC/Kodi using it or they wouldn't have pulled support in the first place. I'm guessing this is because they get no money for letting people access their data without advertising or the like to compensate them and having tens of thousands of XBMC/Kodi users checking the weather all day long off their servers was probably kind of drag long-term.

RE: [RELEASE] Weather Underground - ronie - 2016-01-02

(2016-01-02, 01:13)VonMagnum Wrote: So, to get this to work again, you essentially have to sing up to be a "developer" and then don't develop anything (i.e. lie about your reasons for wanting a key to use their APIs)Huh

you know, i do fully agree with that.
it was the main reason why i gave up on the addon at the time.
the second reason was that there was another weather provider (openweathermap) that could easily provide the same functionality as wunderground.
at the time they provided full unlimited free access to their api, whereas we were getting way over our budget with wunderground.

sadly the tides have turned over the past year and openweathermap has drastically reduced the number of free api calls.
i'm currently in the process of moving the openweathermap addon to a user provided api key system as well.
fact is, there are no weather providers that provide free global extended weather info.

we currently have two options:
1) let users provide their own api key
2) give up on extended weather and stick to the limited weather data provided by the yahoo weather addon.

i have a damn hard time making up my mind on how to proceed.
it goes without saying that if we receive a complaint from either wunderground or openweathermap about our way of using their service,
the addon will be removed without hesitation.

(2016-01-02, 01:13)VonMagnum Wrote: Yeah, thanks ,but I'll pass.

if you want to play it fairly, i could say nothing is stopping you from purchasing a key... for only $3600 dollars a year ;-)

(2016-01-02, 01:13)VonMagnum Wrote: They clearly don't want XBMC/Kodi using it or they wouldn't have pulled support in the first place.

in their defence, they didn't pull the plug. i did.
i didn't agree to a new set of terms they suggested in return for free api access.

(2016-01-02, 01:13)VonMagnum Wrote: I'm guessing this is because they get no money for letting people access their data without advertising or the like to compensate them and having tens of thousands of XBMC/Kodi users checking the weather all day long off their servers was probably kind of drag long-term.

yup, selling weather data is their business and nothing wrong with that.
giving it away for free won't keep their company in business for long.

RE: [RELEASE] Weather Underground - Hotmax - 2016-01-05

Dears, sorry for stupid Q.
But how i can install this addons?
If i tried to install from ZIP=File, i get an error..
Please help!

RE: [RELEASE] Weather Underground - jknight2014 - 2016-01-08

(2016-01-02, 01:13)VonMagnum Wrote: So, to get this to work again, you essentially have to sing up to be a "developer" and then don't develop anything (i.e. lie about your reasons for wanting a key to use their APIs)Huh Yeah, thanks ,but I'll pass. They clearly don't want XBMC/Kodi using it or they wouldn't have pulled support in the first place. I'm guessing this is because they get no money for letting people access their data without advertising or the like to compensate them and having tens of thousands of XBMC/Kodi users checking the weather all day long off their servers was probably kind of drag long-term.

If you read the terms of service you are free to use any of the features of the site for Personal, non Commercial use. You dont have to develop anything. An API is just more than they want to provide support for. They would rather offer it as a Developer service so they can say your on your own. Idealy they would offer a subscription service for use in apps and plugins with a small yearly fee. But thats up to them. If they really wanted to limit the API to only developers they would screen everyone and make stronger requirements and change the TOS to state the API is for development uses only. Although if they did you could argue that the software is opensource and always in beta making any use of it Development in the form of testing.

RE: [RELEASE] Weather Underground - Rantanplan-1 - 2016-01-16

Hello Ronie

Guess i found a small "Bug"

Weather Alerts seems not to care about "textbox" aligment. (<align>right</align> , left, center, no mather what i try.)
It seems also not possible to show them in a label control and let them scroll.

Regards.

RE: [RELEASE] Weather Underground - ronie - 2016-01-16

(2016-01-16, 12:32)Rantanplan-1 Wrote: Hello Ronie

Guess i found a small "Bug"

Weather Alerts seems not to care about "textbox" aligment. (<align>right</align> , left, center, no mather what i try.)
It seems also not possible to show them in a label control and let them scroll.

Regards.

hmm, no idea why textbox alignment wouldn't work...
if you know of a weather location that currently has alerts, let me know and i can test it.

as for labels scrolling, that should be possible with the 'Alerts.RSS' property.
it contains a short description of every alert.

RE: [RELEASE] Weather Underground - Rantanplan-1 - 2016-01-16

"Strasbourg" (France) should have actualy one. (i.e.)

Thanks for the hint for 'Alerts.RSS'.

EDIT:
"Alerts.RSS" works fine as far as tested - thanks for this. With "Alerts.RSS" it seems also possible to align the Text in a textbox with one small restriction, the first Word is off by some pixels, if the Text is left aligned. But beside This it works. (Guess this is done to have a break if the Text starts again from the Beginning.)