Kodi Community Forum
Release OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Weather Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=155)
+---- Thread: Release OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support (/showthread.php?tid=116905)

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2022-02-05

(Happy to look at logs and/or try your location here but but busy this weekend so might take a few days).

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2022-02-06

@DavidFW1960 

Gosford working fine this morning at least -

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - DavidFW1960 - 2022-02-06

haha... It just came back last night. No reason or change just started working again. This seems to be the error. from the log
2022-02-04 18:04:36.252 T:6439     INFO <general>: ### Oz Weather 2.0.4 - Starting...
2022-02-04 18:04:36.253 T:6439     INFO <general>: ### Oz Weather 2.0.4 - Kodi Version: 19.3
2022-02-04 18:04:36.253 T:6439     INFO <general>: ### Oz Weather 2.0.4 - Addon arguments: ['/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/weather.ozweather/default.py', '1']
2022-02-04 18:04:36.987 T:14509    INFO <CUPnPServer[osmc]>: Received Browse DirectChildren request for object 'musicdb://artists/171/53/1/?albumartistsonly=false&albumid=53&artistid=171&discid=1', with sort criteria 
2022-02-04 18:04:38.089 T:14500    INFO <CUPnPServer[osmc]>: Received Browse DirectChildren request for object 'musicdb://artists/171/53/2/?albumartistsonly=false&albumid=53&artistid=171&discid=2', with sort criteria 
2022-02-04 18:04:38.159 T:6439    ERROR <general>: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                                    - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                                   Error Type: <class 'IndexError'>
                                                   Error Contents: list index out of range
                                                   Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                     File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/weather.ozweather/default.py", line 11, in <module>
                                                       ozweather.run(sys.argv)
                                                     File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/weather.ozweather/resources/lib/ozweather.py", line 29, in run
                                                       get_weather()
                                                     File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/weather.ozweather/resources/lib/forecast.py", line 242, in get_weather
                                                       forecast(geohash, radar)
                                                     File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/weather.ozweather/resources/lib/forecast.py", line 155, in forecast
                                                       oldest_file = list_of_loop_files[0]
                                                   IndexError: list index out of range
                                                   -->End of Python script error report<--

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2022-02-06

Just the result of the BOM not supplying anything....a temp. glitch clearly.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - DavidFW1960 - 2022-02-07

Yes temporary but  maybe the addon should handle that case a bit more gracefully?

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2022-02-07

Yes, for sure, but it's also fair to say it's hard to plan for failure conditions I've never seen.  That is - I can add another guard in this spot (and have guards in most others already) - but quite possible, even if it hops over this bit, if the BOM station is severely stuffed for a bit, it will choke on something else still.  If you see that, please continue to post logs (much better if full logs, too)...

(the fix has already been submitted to the Kodi repo...)

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - DavidFW1960 - 2022-02-07

(2022-02-07, 02:22)bossanova808 Wrote: (the fix has already been submitted to the Kodi repo...)

fair enough. Last week the obs station was down for a day for maintenance but came back before I saw if Kodi was erroring. The obs were down but the forecasts were ok. I was planning on grabbing a full debug log on Sunday morning but it was back up by then..

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2022-02-07

The BOM does fail in a large variety of ways - for example, my location (Ascot Vale, VIC) - it is currently only returning 6 days of the 7 day forecast (i.e. to Saturday), but all my other locations are returning the normal 7 days (to Sunday).   For OzWeather the result is a slightly unattractive missing bit of data for that forecast row, but otherwise remains functional.  In general I aim to make it not fall over/error out if things are missing, so the reports are welcome.  But given the entire 'API' is unofficial...pretty hard to predict the many possible failures (or data variations that will come back for that matter - 95% of the time they are quite predictable but then there will be the odd moment, somewhere in Aus., where someone in the BOM decided to get creative with the weather short codes, or the forecast text or whatever...it's an odd operation, the BOM!).

Odd indeed. I regularly find the day 6 (or is it 7) goes missing but Kodi is handling it ok as you say. It's the observation for the current day not the forecast that seems to have failed and not be handled. It's rare for sure.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - ocular - 2022-03-24

Just created a Kodi forum account, to say what a great add-on OZW is. Running on a now obsolete Vodafone TV android 9 box. The skin patcher works fine to display Radar maps. Thank you

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2022-03-24

@ocular Glad you like it!

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - benrita - 2022-04-19

Have just installed OZ weather in android kodi and working great except for season showing "spring", here in Bonville NSW it is "autumn".
Region is set to Australia in settings, am I missing something?
Thanks

Edit: Sorry just realised it's my Aeon skin

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2022-04-19

Oz Weather doesn't do anything about seasons. Sounds like dinner Kodi thing? No idea really. Can you post a screenshot?

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - benrita - 2022-04-19

Sorry bossanova8o8 just edited my post above, it was my Aeon skin so changed back to Eustary and all good.
Thank you

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - streamloader - 2022-07-19

Just recently discovered this addon and I like it very much.  I've read some older comments about the possibility of preventing Location ID codes being displayed, which I would like very much, and I also read bossanova808's reluctance to do that for debugging reasons which is understandable.  Just wondering if it's possible to remove it for the Kodi home screen at least? With my Confluence Skin I select to display weather info in the top left corner of my home page and it shows the Location, State, Postcode and BOM Location ID number there, which in not really desirable.  It would be cool if it could just show the Location name like it does in the Settings panel where you can cycle through locations.