Kodi Community Forum
Release OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Weather Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=155)
+---- Thread: Release OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support (/showthread.php?tid=116905)

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2021-04-28

Any chance you could send me a trace of all the urls your home auto thingy is hitting to get the maps/radar (or if I can hit your server myself externally, even, if you can set it up so I can only get to that page or whatever...). 

Without documentation it's seeming quite hard to work it all out...basically there are the hits to the map server, and the hits to the bom api for the rain....if I could see complete samples of those urls it would be helpful.  Just a dump from the network tab of the whole thing would probably be a big help...it looks like it takes a simpler approach than the actual BOM pages, so it might be easier to work it out.

(I have written to the BOM too to see if they would restore ftp access, say, but I am not holding my breath...)

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - DavidFW1960 - 2021-04-28

(2021-04-28, 10:17)bossanova808 Wrote: Any chance you could send me a trace of all the urls your home auto thingy is hitting to get the maps/radar (or if I can hit your server myself externally, even, if you can set it up so I can only get to that page or whatever...). 

Without documentation it's seeming quite hard to work it all out...basically there are the hits to the map server, and the hits to the bom api for the rain....if I could see complete samples of those urls it would be helpful.  Just a dump from the network tab of the whole thing would probably be a big help...it looks like it takes a simpler approach than the actual BOM pages, so it might be easier to work it out.

(I have written to the BOM too to see if they would restore ftp access, say, but I am not holding my breath...)

PM sent

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2021-04-28

Thanks, will look tomorrow!

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2021-04-29

IMPORTANT:

Further to the update about changes at the BOM affecting OzWeather (see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=116905&pid=3033321#pid3033321 )

PLEASE GO IN TO OzWEATHER settings and toggle the 'periodically update radar backgrounds' switch to OFF

This will keep your radar working and looking beautiful for now (as long as the auto cleanup has not yet happened - which happens about once a week if I recall correctly).

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - DavidFW1960 - 2021-04-29

(2021-04-29, 02:16)bossanova808 Wrote: IMPORTANT:

Further to the update about changes at the BOM affecting OzWeather (see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=116905&pid=3033321#pid3033321 )

PLEASE GO IN TO OzWEATHER settings and toggle the 'periodically update radar backgrounds' switch to OFF

This will keep your radar working and looking beautiful for now (as long as the auto cleanup has not yet happened - which happens about once a week if I recall correctly).
Weird. I just switched to a location I have never used before and it still seems to be grabbing the backgrounds ok..

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2021-04-29

Yeah they are using a firewall thingy to block 'suspected automatic scraping' things....so I presume it is hit and miss.

Enjoy it while it lasts, I guess!  (No response to me enquiries to them....)

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2021-05-03

@DavidFW1960 Skin Patcher 0.0.7 (available from the repo now) - should fix the Estuary support for the weather page.

I have moved away from patching DialogSeekBar, in Confluence, to patching VideoFullScreen instead (meaning that your pause screen remains cleaner, and you hit 'i'/info to bring up the video info and then see the radar too).  Because I have not done this for Estuary, I have not included that file for Estuary.

I don't want a different approach between the two skins, so this seemed the easier option.  I can make a VideoFullScreen for Estuary if this is important to you, though, and then add patcher support....or, even better, if you're feeling adventurous and are ok with some XML editing, you could make an Estuary VideoFullScreen with OzWeather support for me and I could then add patcher support.

The BOM API stuff is now done but as data-via-weatherzone and radars are all working ok right now, I am taking the opportunity to test the BOM stuff a bit more before I get that out...the data is quite different so there are bound to be some bugs.  I also need to modify the skin files a bit for these changes to, yet...also, I'm away a few days this week so will probably look at releasing that late next week at a guess.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - DavidFW1960 - 2021-05-03

(2021-05-03, 04:12)bossanova808 Wrote: @DavidFW1960 Skin Patcher 0.0.7 (available from the repo now) - should fix the Estuary support for the weather page.

I have moved away from patching DialogSeekBar, in Confluence, to patching VideoFullScreen instead (meaning that your pause screen remains cleaner, and you hit 'i'/info to bring up the video info and then see the radar too).  Because I have not done this for Estuary, I have not included that file for Estuary.

I don't want a different approach between the two skins, so this seemed the easier option.  I can make a VideoFullScreen for Estuary if this is important to you, though, and then add patcher support....or, even better, if you're feeling adventurous and are ok with some XML editing, you could make an Estuary VideoFullScreen with OzWeather support for me and I could then add patcher support.

The BOM API stuff is now done but as data-via-weatherzone and radars are all working ok right now, I am taking the opportunity to test the BOM stuff a bit more before I get that out...the data is quite different so there are bound to be some bugs.  I also need to modify the skin files a bit for these changes to, yet...also, I'm away a few days this week so will probably look at releasing that late next week at a guess.

So far as I can see that DialogSeekBar.xml doesn't even get supplied with Estuary anyway would adding that to the patcher be easy for me to do myself? I did have a look but not too deep because you were going to do this new patcher... I quite like seeing that radar info on the pause screen. I have no idea what changes I would need to make to the VideoFullScreen.xml.... I'll try the new patcher.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2021-05-03

Yep so you'd need to take the existing VideoFullScreen.xml from Estuary (i.e. the default that comes with the standard skin) and then (probably using the VideoFullScreen.xml in the skinpatcher/resources/skin-files/confluence as a guide) - add the OzWeather bits to that.  Probably move those bits around to somewhere that makes sense as the placement won't be the same for Estuary of course.

Once you have a file you like, get that to me, and I will add support for it in the skinpatcher.

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - DavidFW1960 - 2021-05-04

(2021-05-03, 06:57)bossanova808 Wrote: Yep so you'd need to take the existing VideoFullScreen.xml from Estuary (i.e. the default that comes with the standard skin) and then (probably using the VideoFullScreen.xml in the skinpatcher/resources/skin-files/confluence as a guide) - add the OzWeather bits to that.  Probably move those bits around to somewhere that makes sense as the placement won't be the same for Estuary of course.

Once you have a file you like, get that to me, and I will add support for it in the skinpatcher.

So I tried looking at the confluence vs estuary VideoFullScreen.xml and they bear no resemblance to each other.

I also do note that you have a dialogseekbar for confluence that you patch. Given there is a dialogseekbar.xml for Estuary is there any way you can include that file in the patcher as well?

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2021-05-04

Ok have knocked one up very quickly for you - if you want to finesse it visually, it should be quite easy from here as everything is at least in place...just send me the updated file if you do.

See skin patcher 0.0.8, just pushed...not tested, in a bit of a hurry but should work....

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2021-05-16

@DavidFW1960 how did you get on with the above?  Latest skin patcher all ok?

I've been a bit caught up at work, but should release the BOM api stuff fairly soon now...

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - DavidFW1960 - 2021-05-16

(2021-05-16, 08:34)bossanova808 Wrote: @DavidFW1960 how did you get on with the above?  Latest skin patcher all ok?

I've been a bit caught up at work, but should release the BOM api stuff fairly soon now...

Sorry yeah it works fine but I patched it to include the DialogSeekBar.xml as well.. I don't understand why you have a thing about that and don't include it as an option and even removed it from the confluence patcher as well...
Anyway looking forward to the new BOM API being implemented..

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - bossanova808 - 2021-05-17

I've moved it to VideoFullScreen (which the patcher does for Estuary as well now, just for you!) - so that you can get it (with 'i' for info or info on your remote) - but don't have to see it every single time you pause. 

A lot of the time when folks pause, they do so because they want to see something on screen, and the radar taking up a quarter of the screen, with no way of not showing it, is too much coverage.  With this approach you can get the radar (actually even while playing) - in a mode when you're deliberately calling up info and (presumably) don't care so much what is behind it - vs. on pause, when one often does.

As far as I see it, it's the best of both worlds - certainly folks at my end (friends and family) all prefer it that way...so given I first and foremost do this for me/them....that seems the best option.

Anyway, I have to tidy up things for the new BOM settings, and tweak the skin files for a few bits of missing/extra data from the BOM, and then should be good to go.  Maybe later this week, with luck?

RE: OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support - DavidFW1960 - 2021-05-17

(2021-05-17, 00:07)bossanova808 Wrote: I've moved it to VideoFullScreen (which the patcher does for Estuary as well now) - so that you can get it (with 'i' for info or info on your remote) - but don't have to see it every single time you pause. 

A lot of the time when folks pause, they do so because they want to see something on screen, and the radar taking up a quarter of the screen, with no way of not showing it, is too much coverage.

With this approach you can get the radar (actually even while playing) - in a mode when you're deliberately calling up info and (presumably) don't care so much what is behind it - vs. on pause, when one often does.

As far as I see it it's best of both worlds - certainly folks at my end (friends and family) all prefer it that way...so given I first and foremost do this for me/them....that seems the best option.

Anyway, I have to tidy up things for the new BOM settings, and tweak the skin files for a few bits of missing/extra data from the BOM, and then should be good to go.  Maybe later this week, with luck?

It's tiny on my screen and unobtrusive. The chromecast doesn't seem to have info button accessible for me either. Anyway I'll just use my hack of your script which suits me.