Kodi Community Forum
New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+---- Forum: Ember Media Manager (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=195)
+---- Thread: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) (/showthread.php?tid=116941)

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - >>X<< - 2012-12-02

I've been using EMM from the beginning in fact I'm still using the original but now have the same problem as everyone else Tongue

For me personally its a must have, I have multiple library's in my house and I hand pick all my artwork, EMM makes this so much easier to keep track of, I'm not just after a scraper I'm after a media manager to do exactly that manage my media.

One problem with exporting your library is your get posters at their cached size which is a lower resolution than the source image. I prefer my local posters to have a minimum resolution which I can then cache at any size in XBMC which for me varies on each system.

In any case it all comes down to personal requirements if I was just a scrape and go person I wouldn't use EMM I would use Universal Scraper Wink

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - Randall Lind - 2012-12-02

I think it is dumb to fight over. They both have their uses

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - KILLERNADS - 2012-12-02

HI guys,

does anyone know when EMM will be back and working? Currently, when i did a movies update of my library yesterday it got rid of everything, Even the previous movies, I'm guessing that the IMDB scraper is down or something is wrong with it?!? Any idea when this will be back up?

thanks

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - >>X<< - 2012-12-02

(2012-12-02, 16:36)KILLERNADS Wrote: HI guys,

does anyone know when EMM will be back and working? Currently, when i did a movies update of my library yesterday it got rid of everything, Even the previous movies, I'm guessing that the IMDB scraper is down or something is wrong with it?!? Any idea when this will be back up?

thanks

lol

You could just try reading the last two pages of this thread Laugh

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116941&pid=1250339#pid1250339

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - Pr.Sinister - 2012-12-02

(2012-12-01, 21:52)olympia Wrote: Woopss... A media menager is 100x better than XBMC? That's a kind a slap on the face for me. In fact I did the opposite. I was amongst the original creators of EMM taking serious part in the GUI design, but now I find XBMC more easy, more flexible, and much faster.

I guess i used the wrong hyperbole here. I really didn't mean for you to take this as a personal attack on your extremely appreciated work!

If you remember just a few days ago, i asked how i could use Universal Scraper with EMM. That should tell you that i obviously think it is THE superior scraper.

(2012-12-01, 21:52)olympia Wrote: If you already take the time to hunt down these plots, I think the community would appreciate if you were adding them to themoviedb. Then you can also scrape it any time in the future.

Yes maybe i should do this if i were the one writing the plot summary. I am not comfortable with copying someone else's synopsis and passing it off as my own on tmdb. It's one thing to state that such and such actor is in a movie but plagirizing the plot summary i prefer to save that to my private nfo. Who knows, that could even get tmdb in legal trouble if some writer at Allmovie stumbles upon it.

What about for french movies? I get a french plot summary... what happens to some who scrapes this but doesn't read french? They rely on the subs to watch the movie but the displayed plot is kinda useless to them...

(2012-12-01, 18:44)Pr.Sinister Wrote:
  • I like my French movies to have the plot written in French
  • I like my foreign language movies to have the title written : English Title (Original Title)
  • I want to be able to pick my poster. I don't like the ones that have been cleaned to remove dates, cast and other info.
  • I want to be able to pick my Fanart. I prefer a fanart that looks different than the poster

(2012-12-01, 21:52)olympia Wrote: These I would say quite easy in xbmc?

I have to admit i have never tried this but can you copy and paste text in XBMC?

Also, lets say i add 20 Korean Movies. I know their English titles but not the Korean one. How do i know i added the right one and how easy is that to go and change to "English Title (Korean Title)"? I usually cut and paste my folder name into the title field...

For the posters, i pick the one i like in the best resolution possible... Does XBMC show the resolution when picking? No sarcasm i really don't know if it does.

When exporting to nfos, does it only do the ones that don't have an nfo or do i have to export the whole library?

Can i refresh only one part of all movies with XBMC like only scrape for the plot or rating?

All these questions are in good faith... not trying to put down anything or anyone...

Anyway i don't think there is any point in debating what is better because like any Windows user, i have my preferred ways of doing things and if it's working for me, nobody can force me to do it a specific way. If i wanted that i would use a Mac Tongue

Lotsa people replied with their reasons why they PREFER using a media manager so obviously there is a market for it. I am sticking to my guns and declaring that the person that comes out with a frontend for Universal Scraper and all XBMC Scrapers will be hailed as a hero...

Now if you'll excuse me while i download "Learn C# in 24 hours" Big Grin

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - Randall Lind - 2012-12-02

3 weeks ago an alpha of the new version was coming out but, I guess Bobrick is still quite busy. He is still working on EMM but a new baby etc is taken all his time.

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - JohnWPB - 2012-12-02

(2012-12-01, 21:52)olympia Wrote: Woopss... A media menager is 100x better than XBMC? That's a kind a slap on the face for me. In fact I did the opposite. I was amongst the original creators of EMM taking serious part in the GUI design, but now I find XBMC more easy, more flexible, and much faster.

(Just FYI, I am running the latest Frodo Beta, and all the test below were done with it just today)

I do not think it is meant to be a slap in the face. It is just that you have FAR more control over what cover and fanart you want to use with Ember Media Manager for example. When XBMC scrapes a movie, it chooses the fanart and cover for you. With Ember, you can view all fanart available in tiles, and choose what one you want.

Also, XBMC lacks a lot of information in it's .nfo export. Since Ember has stopped scraping, I noticed the last few movies I have added are missing information.

This section that Ember Media Manager add's to the .nfo:

<fileinfo>
<streamdetails>
<audio>
<channels>2</channels>
<codec>ac3</codec>
<language>eng</language>
<longlanguage>English</longlanguage>
</audio>
<video>
<aspect>2.368</aspect>
<codec>xvid</codec>
<durationinseconds>6131</durationinseconds>
<height>1080</height>
<scantype>Progressive</scantype>
<width>1920</width>
</video>
</streamdetails>
</fileinfo>

XBMC does not calculate or save any of the video information to the .nfo. I am using !Transparency skin, and the case, that it places behind the cover, shows visually if the video is Standard Definition, 720 or 1080 resolution.

It is actually odd, that the information that Ember Media Manager saves to the .nfo is used by XBMC, however XBMC does not scrape this info or save any of it in the .nfo when they are exported.

Here are a couple of screen captures, to show the difference clearly between XBMC scraping the movie, and Ember Media Center.
(Both movies are 1080p HD movies)

Here, With Ember Media Manager you can see the movie is 1080 resolution, 1.85 Aspect Ratio, H.264 Codec / compression and AAC audio:

Now, this movie, scraped with XBMC, the info is:
It is some sort of resolution, it has an unknown aspect ratio, unknown video compression, and who knows what kind of audio:
(Also note the orange cover background / case. This means it has no clue the resolution of the movie, where the above image shows a blue ray case)

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - Pr.Sinister - 2012-12-03

(2012-12-02, 23:37)JohnWPB Wrote: XBMC does not calculate or save any of the video information to the .nfo. I am using !Transparency skin, and the case, that it places behind the cover, shows visually if the video is Standard Definition, 720 or 1080 resolution.

It is actually odd, that the information that Ember Media Manager saves to the .nfo is used by XBMC, however XBMC does not scrape this info or save any of it in the .nfo when they are exported.

In your XBMC settings, under Video | File Lists | Extract Thumbnails and Video Information should be enabled for it to get the resolution

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - JohnWPB - 2012-12-03

(2012-12-03, 02:53)Pr.Sinister Wrote: In your XBMC settings, under Video | File Lists | Extract Thumbnails and Video Information should be enabled for it to get the resolution

You are correct. And I do have it enabled / checked. I believe it is checked by default upon installation.

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - &gt;&gt;X&lt;&lt; - 2012-12-03

Sorry Ignore This Tongue

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - olympia - 2012-12-03

You only need to play the video to get the flags for ISOs (Ember is not able to get the flags from ISOs at all btw).
For other containers XBMC should retrieve the flags without playing, so if it's not happening then it's either a bug or something on your side.

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - JohnWPB - 2012-12-03

(2012-12-03, 13:36)olympia Wrote: You only need to play the video to get the flags for ISOs (Ember is not able to get the flags from ISOs at all btw).
For other containers XBMC should retrieve the flags without playing, so if it's not happening then it's either a bug or something on your side.

Hmmm well now that I know this, It is time for me to start digging for the solution to the problem. It is a dedicated PC, that has only XBMC installed on top of a standard Windows 7 installation. Sorry, acronis true image is also installed on it, but no other software that did not come with the Windows installation.

Let me do some testing, and if the problem appears to be XBMC, will post in another thread, and not derail this one.

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - qtip920 - 2012-12-04

I've got all my media on a Windows Server 2008 R2 box and would like to run EMM on it. But when I go to launch it it gives the error "The Type initializer for 'EmberAPI.Master' threw an exception." I did a search on the thread and have seen a couple people mention running it on 2008 R2. Anyone have any pointers on getting it to run?

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - Ecwfrk - 2012-12-04

(2012-12-04, 00:25)qtip920 Wrote: I've got all my media on a Windows Server 2008 R2 box and would like to run EMM on it. But when I go to launch it it gives the error "The Type initializer for 'EmberAPI.Master' threw an exception." I did a search on the thread and have seen a couple people mention running it on 2008 R2. Anyone have any pointers on getting it to run?

I'm one of those people. It depends on what is causing it. I had a couple issues with missing libraries at first.

Check the full error message, the <Exception ExceptionType= message(s) should tell you what's wrong.
If not, post the full error and maybe we can help you run it down.

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - qtip920 - 2012-12-04

(2012-12-04, 00:43)Ecwfrk Wrote: I'm one of those people. It depends on what is causing it. I had a couple issues with missing libraries at first.

Check the full error message, the <Exception ExceptionType= message(s) should tell you what's wrong.
If not, post the full error and maybe we can help you run it down.

I don't see any error reports within the Event Viewer. Only thing I can find that alludes to an error is in my AppData/Roaming/Ember_Media_Manager/1.3.0.7 folder with a log called Ember Media Manager. It says the following.

"DefaultSource Critical 3 The type initializer for 'EmberAPI.Master' threw an exception. Unhandled Exception."