Kodi Community Forum
New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+---- Forum: Ember Media Manager (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=195)
+---- Thread: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) (/showthread.php?tid=116941)

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - TeKo - 2012-05-05

(2012-05-05, 03:29)Zodler Wrote:
Quote:Ember don't support scraping by airdates. You'd have the series with season and episode label (Link). There are programs that do this automatically.
I dont understand why XBMC can do it and ember can't. What program should I use?

Maybe use XBMC... I heard it works...

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - DanCooper - 2012-05-05

(2012-05-04, 22:59)james_stewart Wrote:
(2012-05-04, 22:37)olympia Wrote: Apologies for jumping on you in this case.

However I can't see that how the 'Bulk Renamer' can be missed from the 'Tools Menu' or the 'Renamer Module' in Settings/Modules.

Ok will examine that further when I get home. Any word on possibly adding a "cleaning" option to EMM?

I'll try the "cleaning" option to expand. But this will take some time. I would finish the support of banner.jpg first.

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - Zodler - 2012-05-05

(2012-05-05, 11:18)TeKo Wrote:
(2012-05-05, 03:29)Zodler Wrote:
Quote:Ember don't support scraping by airdates. You'd have the series with season and episode label (Link). There are programs that do this automatically.
I dont understand why XBMC can do it and ember can't. What program should I use?

I already said XBMC works, so no need for hearing anything. And that's such a pointless comment. This is the Ember thread, we already know that XBMC works.
Please explain to me why Ember exists? Why do we need Ember at all?

(2012-05-05, 15:32)Zodler Wrote:
(2012-05-05, 11:18)TeKo Wrote:
(2012-05-05, 03:29)Zodler Wrote: I dont understand why XBMC can do it and ember can't. What program should I use?

I already said XBMC works, so no need for hearing anything. And that's such a pointless comment. This is the Ember thread, we already know that XBMC works.
Please explain to me why Ember exists? Why do we need Ember at all?

The questions is why would anyone want to have Episodes by airdate instead of S00E00 format.
If you dont need Ember stop using it, if XBMC does everything you want I cant tell you why you use Ember. Try Media Companion, Media Center Master or media browser.
I use it scrape from different DBs and select special Covers and stuff without too much work, renaming is also really nice.

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - olympia - 2012-05-05

(2012-05-05, 15:32)Zodler Wrote: Please explain to me why Ember exists? Why do we need Ember at all?

To be clear and honest, the vast majority of XBMC users don't need Ember, especially not for TV Shows!
XBMC is easier to setup, IMO more flexible scrapers (e.g. Universal Scraper) no need for two stages scanning (once in Ember, then again in XBMC), takes less time in overall.

The only added value in these days are the renaming (pointless for me) and the possibility of downloading trailers.
Or if you want extrathumbs and such things, but for this, there is an addon (artwork downloader) in XBMC.

Trailer downloading is where XBMC lacks the most.

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - Martijn - 2012-05-05

(2012-05-05, 16:38)olympia Wrote: Trailer downloading is where XBMC lacks the most.

I could fix that however that either requires refreshing the movies after you downloaded the trailer OR first run a script before even scanning the library OR hacking the database which is very not recommended

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - Huisie - 2012-05-05

@ Zodler:
I started using Ember after reading an article on Lifehacker.com. The point made was that you have more control of your supplementary media (fanart, extrathumbs, etc.).
You can save all this info with your actual media rather than it being confined to XBMC's database.
Also, you can edit info more effectively, especially in bulk, through Ember.

These days, I get my TV through SickBeard and movies through CouchPotato.
SickBeard is fantastic for TV Shows and does it all, really, and includes manual post-processing.
CouchPotato is great for subtitles and trailers (HD-trailers) not so much for other metadata.
Generious posted a tutorial in this thread showing how to make a SABnzbd script to use Ember for post-processing the other info (.nfo's, posters, etc.)

Though it is possible to automate more and more of our media collecting, Ember is still useful for keeping an eye on things, fixing any errors, making bulk updates, etc.

@ Olympia and @DanCooper:

I did a fresh install of Ember (1.3.0.5 fix 5) after reading Olympia's post of a new HD-trailer scraper.
Olympia, you said to do a fresh install to utilise the scraper properly, in response to a query from DanCooper.
I spent a couple of hours testing it out last night.
I tried every combination of settings - checking and unchecking various settings, changing scrape order, etc.

HD-Trailers
The scraper only seemed to work with new files - if I tried re-scraping an existing file, the scraper would start then shut down.
The only way to re-scrape existing files was to uncheck both XML scrapers sections.

Also, it appeared to have difficulty with files with "tricky" names - for example, the movie "50/50".
As you know, Windows doesn't allow "/" in file and folder names, so the files is renamed "50 50" in Explorer.
When scanning with XML scrapers enabled, I would get a message about "No information found for this movie", then the scraper closes.
If I scraped it with XML scrapers disabled, I could scrape it successfully - though I had to do a search in the scraper for "50 / 50" ("50/50" didn't work)

General Feedback (@DanCooper)
Actors' Cache
Sometimes this would scrape, sometimes it wouldn't, seemingly at random.
This would happen when doing manual or automatic scrapes.
I couldn't figure out what would cause it not to scrape - sorry for vagueness.

Fanart
I have Ember set to automatically download "all fanart as extrathumbs (large)" in "Scrapers - Images & Trailers".
When manually scraping it does this BUT doesn't download the image I select as fanart.
When automatically scraping, it download all images AND automatically selects an image as fanart.

This post is only to give some feedback that might be of use - Ember has made life much easier and got me to use XBMC.
Thank in advance for any help and for all else you do here to support this great piece of software.
Much thanks, too, to Bodrick for resuscitating Ember and giving it a new home.

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - DanCooper - 2012-05-05

(2012-05-05, 17:43)Huisie Wrote: .....

General Feedback (@DanCooper)
Actors' Cache
Sometimes this would scrape, sometimes it wouldn't, seemingly at random.
This would happen when doing manual or automatic scrapes.
I couldn't figure out what would cause it not to scrape - sorry for vagueness.

Fanart
I have Ember set to automatically download "all fanart as extrathumbs (large)" in "Scrapers - Images & Trailers".
When manually scraping it does this BUT doesn't download the image I select as fanart.
When automatically scraping, it download all images AND automatically selects an image as fanart

Fanart: I have no problem with the manual scraping of the fanarts.

Befor (folder name "Avatar"):

select a poster:

select a fanart and 2 extrathumbs:

Result:

Poster 1000x1500px OK
Fanart: 1366x768px OK
Extrathumbs: 300x169px (2x) OK

Actors' Cache:
That I need to check.

To all to remember:
Please do not forget that it records all bugs in Purplepig! I can not remember every bug.

(2012-05-05, 17:43)Huisie Wrote: HD-Trailers
The scraper only seemed to work with new files - if I tried re-scraping an existing file, the scraper would start then shut down.
The only way to re-scrape existing files was to uncheck both XML scrapers sections.

Also, it appeared to have difficulty with files with "tricky" names - for example, the movie "50/50".
As you know, Windows doesn't allow "/" in file and folder names, so the files is renamed "50 50" in Explorer.
When scanning with XML scrapers enabled, I would get a message about "No information found for this movie", then the scraper closes.
If I scraped it with XML scrapers disabled, I could scrape it successfully - though I had to do a search in the scraper for "50 / 50" ("50/50" didn't work)

Unfortunatelly this is also feedback to DanCooper and Bodrick?
This is not an issue with the scraper itself, but the scraperXML engine in embermm. Ember has a couple of seriouos bugs in its scraperXML which would need some love from core developers (nothinh to do with the poor hd-trailers.net XML scraper).

I pointed out, that embermm would beat everything with proper XML scraper support. Hacking/fixing the native scraper is not making ember futureproof and flexible.

RE: New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread) - shaktoo - 2012-05-05

@Zodler ( for that matter any newcomer who is getting stuck or frustrated) ember exists because there are people using it and ( some ) developing it. its free to use and it handles all the work xbmc cannot. Why in this day and age when we have sickbeard & couchpotato do we need anything else ?? to fine tune and do some refinement what all the above couldnt. For TV requirements if you can setup & use sickbeard then you do not need anything , even before xbmc SB will take care of all your needs. Same for movies = couchpotato. but as Olympia has stated trailer's + some nfo support re studio recognition etc thats when ember comes in handy. I have used mediabrowser, mcm ,metabrowser and what I am most happy with is good ol' xbmc with ember by its side & sickbeard & couchpotato & headphones to keep company in the background ====ME HAPPY ....it took a few years to grasp all this .. yes this will not happen overnight and you WILL have to put in the hours and lose some sleep over it but when it all works then it is bliss ! I am a non IT person.. & I still couldnt do any coding , skinning or whatever but by using xbmc forums/ google and following in people's good advise I have a rock solid setup.. ( which does occassionally hiccup .. BUT Thats the beauty of it .. to look after it & to Tweak it ). So if I could do it .. ANYONE can .. just remember patience is a virtue & be thankful to anyone who is helping out in whatever way .there .. that off my chest now .Nod

(2012-05-05, 19:47)olympia Wrote:

This is not an issue with the scraper itself, but the scraperXML engine in embermm. Ember has a couple of seriouos bugs in its scraperXML which would need some love from core developers (nothinh to do with the poor hd-trailers.net XML scraper).

I pointed out, that embermm would beat everything with proper XML scraper support. Hacking/fixing the native scraper is not making ember futureproof and flexible.

It would be perfect if I could load X scraper and select which one should scrape what.
Like OFDB Title, imdb rating and tmdb plot...

@ Dan: Could you add an options to limit extrathumbs?
Like download max X fanart as extrathumbs.

@ DanCooper:

Thanks for the feedback. I think there's a difference in our settings:

When I select (see highlight):

all fanart images are automatically selected (extrathumbs) and I have to highlight one to select as "Fanart":

However, when the scraper shows the final result, the fanart is blank:

and I have to go to extrathumbs to select fanart.

If I do not select the highlighted option in my 1st pic, then I get the same result you do (fanart is downloaded and extrathumbs must be manually selected).
It isn't a train smash and it only happens with manual scraping - I can work around it.
I thought I should notify you first, as I was using Fix 5. I am happy to make a bug report at purplepig.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

(2012-05-05, 20:30)TeKo Wrote:

It would be perfect if I could load X scraper and select which one should scrape what.

This is exactly what Universal Scraper does in XBMC. you can select field by field where to scrape from (obviously from the supported sites, currently: IMDb, TMDb, Rotten Tomatoes, OFDb)

Hi, Olympia, and thanks for getting back to me.
I think you may have misunderstood my point (or I am misinterpreting your reply).

1st Point

My main point was that with newly added movies, I could use your HD-Trailers scraper (and thanks for that!).
However, I could not get it to work with existing movies.
I could only re-scrape existing movies by disabling XML scraper options.

The only way I could get HD-trailers to work with existing movies was to:
a) delete from database
b) go to folder and delete all items except the movie (if I left any file in there, it wouldn't scrape when re-added)
c) In Ember, update library...

2nd Point
With my other point - files with "tricky" names - the native Ember scrapers work (with a little massaging of file names).
If I enable the HD-Trailer scraper, then I am unable to scrape the file.

To me, with my limited knowledge, it seems that issues occur when HD-trailers scraper is enabled.
They are not insurmountable and I can work around it to get that hd-trailer goodness,,,
If it is, as you say, issues with Ember's scrapers, please excuse my ignorance.

(2012-05-05, 20:58)olympia Wrote:
(2012-05-05, 20:30)TeKo Wrote:
(2012-05-05, 19:47)olympia Wrote: Unfortunatelly this is also feedback to DanCooper and Bodrick?

This is exactly what Universal Scraper does in XBMC. you can select field by field where to scrape from (obviously from the supported sites, currently: IMDb, TMDb, Rotten Tomatoes, OFDb)

Just had a quick look on XBMC forum for Universal Scraper - thanks for that. Must give it a try...