Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-11-19

@uNiversal:
Although the repository is called xbmc-xvba, as we started only with enabled xvba, this name is only there for historical reasons. The changes introduced by this xvba tree are in no way amd/xvba only.

After the first implementation of xvba was done, fernetmenta wanted to improve the whole xbmc architecture of handling surfaces. So he wrote a player that includes buffering and changed the design how VDPAU is working. This resulted in approx 10% better throughput and made stuff like 50p and 60p and the interlaced stuff with temporal / spatial working on hardware, that could not do this before.

Now with this improved architecture, xvba was ported to it. As a result we also included VDPAU in xbmc-xvba build so that it can be tested widely. Some of this VDPAU and xvba work has been integrated into openelec 2.0 and is a significicant part of its success.

Later we also enabled VAAPI, so that every supported linux hw accel works with this xbmc-xvba ppa.

Away from performance, this ppa does include other stuff. Whole SDL has been dropped and replaced with proper xrandr support, even alt-tab and window manager detection was integrated. We don't recommend to run it on Unity or Kwin, but there are some users, that run xbmc as a desktop player, via alt-tab in windowed mode and are happy with it.

We would really like, that all these improvements can go into mainline xbmc some time after frodo, cause it is clearly missing all those above improvements. Openelec 3.0 will have these changes and therefore will kick ass :-)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - un1versal - 2012-11-19

Yes but because xbmcbuntu is naf with drivers I needed to point here for AMD ATI sake, there's is little to none on intel and the ATI drivers still remain a large mystery in wiki.

Thank you for explanation. along with another post on bram77 I should be able to extrapolate some of the benefits though since wiki is permanent we need a place to discuss what goes on there. just in case.

Openelec is great for new users, Im not a fan but I see its appeal its better driver wise than XBMCbuntu for e.g.

uNi

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - Artax - 2012-11-19

Maybe my problem with flac is driver-related. From AudioEngine Linux thread:

Quote:I would suggest reading up on HD vs non HD audio codecs and the limitations involved in transmitting them. Basically the ATI cards HDMI connection emulate an SPDIF/Coax connection. This means they are limited to about 48 kHz for the stereo audio sampling rate and 2 channels of uncompressed audio. You need at least 96 kHz or 6 channels to get HD audio out of the card. This limitation is in software since the Windows drivers can handle HD audio codecs with no problem.

SPDIF/Coax connections do not support HD audio ANYWHERE (this is not an ATI/XBMC limitation. These connections were never designed to handle the bitrate HD audio codecs require).

So what happens if my original FLAC file is 192kHz? Do you have the same problem with flac (driver issue) or it is just me(configuration issue)?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - wsnipex - 2012-11-19

this error is void Tongue

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - SikeMo - 2012-11-19

Sorry, this is somewhat off topic, but... I just installed the latest version and my MythTV add-on is completely gone. It was working just fine before I updated. Any recommended course of action?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - haripi2 - 2012-11-20

Hi,

I am a noob and before i start let me state that i have not been able to understand how to post about the problem in a effective manner. I am clueless even after reading that thread. i have refrained from posting here because of that fear but now i have a problem and i am unable to solve by doing the permutation and combination of reading through too many threads. so please bear with me.

i have a radeon HD 4600 driver on intel i3 processor. i have installed ubuntu 12.04 and have downloaded the latest xvba build . i have the following problems

a) my TV resolution is 1920 x1080 . but i do not see such an option in xbmc. hence i am not getting xbmc in full screen when i launch it from docky.
b) i feel resolution is a bit weak as compared to the earlier build from team xbmc repo. i could be wrong.
c) bluray does not play over xbmc at all while it is okay over VLC.
d) i have manually installed legacy drivers , the xvba drivers as well.
e) i could not install xvba -eden build as some dependency is there and it stated broken package.

let me know what i need to do. let me know how i need to post info in a more readable and comprehensible form. i am a bit lost on how to post logs on pastebin. so pardon my ignorance and help me out.

i do not need PVR at all. should i be installing this build as my graphics is radeon?

and how can i get the XBMC on full screen. i have gnome 3 and not unity. i tried devilspie as well as compiz but to no avail. i have to manually specify and the xbmc name does not get displayed in teh minimized window. when i did a name grab from compiz it showed nautilus. is that correct?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-11-20

@hairpi2:
Please start reading at the very first post. You won't have good results with neither Gnome3 nor Unity. Best is you start xbmc out of the lightdm session directly.

The howto in this thread tells you, how to start with a minimal iso and get a perfect htpc. For your HD4600 you should stick to the Ubuntu Precise 12.04 Distribution - as your cards requires a fglrx version < 12.4 or a legacy version. But in no way it runs with xorg 1.13 which is shipped by Ubuntu Quantal.

So in short: Start with the howto and use 12.04 mini iso amd64 as your basis.

Btw. is there any reason you run the Hd4600 instead of the core i3 integrated graphics?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - wsnipex - 2012-11-20

(2012-11-19, 21:40)SikeMo Wrote: Sorry, this is somewhat off topic, but... I just installed the latest version and my MythTV add-on is completely gone. It was working just fine before I updated. Any recommended course of action?

update again, it should be in the new package.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - haripi2 - 2012-11-20

(2012-11-20, 09:12)fritsch Wrote: @hairpi2:
Please start reading at the very first post. You won't have good results with neither Gnome3 nor Unity. Best is you start xbmc out of the lightdm session directly.

The howto in this thread tells you, how to start with a minimal iso and get a perfect htpc. For your HD4600 you should stick to the Ubuntu Precise 12.04 Distribution - as your cards requires a fglrx version < 12.4 or a legacy version. But in no way it runs with xorg 1.13 which is shipped by Ubuntu Quantal.

So in short: Start with the howto and use 12.04 mini iso amd64 as your basis.

Btw. is there any reason you run the Hd4600 instead of the core i3 integrated graphics?

Hi Fritsch,

thanks for your response. i have an ubuntu 12.04 precise only and have not updated to 12.10. similarly i have downloaded legacy drivers from catalyst 12.6 and also installed xvba drivers seperately.

are you stating that i should have xbmc run from boot itself instead of invoking it as a standalone app from ubuntu?

and with regards to using HD4600 i was under impression that i can run graphics properly only with it and not with my integrated graphics card. my bro assembled the system for me. so should i disable the ati driver and just run it with the HDA drivers ?

will this work for blu ray as well as files supporting DTS-HD if i switch to i3 in built graphics ?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - SikeMo - 2012-11-20

(2012-11-20, 09:21)wsnipex Wrote:
(2012-11-19, 21:40)SikeMo Wrote: Sorry, this is somewhat off topic, but... I just installed the latest version and my MythTV add-on is completely gone. It was working just fine before I updated. Any recommended course of action?

update again, it should be in the new package.

Sure is, thanks a lot. Can we (AMD/ATI users) be expecting to use your builds after the stable release of Frodo? Will the Team-XBMC build ever include xvba?

Thanks

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - wsnipex - 2012-11-20

Xvba builds will continue until everything is merged in mainline. I'll probably continue with the testing ppa even after that.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - SLY JD - 2012-11-20

Thanks a lot! Finally got sound working after a lot of work!

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - DeanM3 - 2012-11-20

Awesome work wsnipex. We AMD users owe you a beer.

Basically our only option is to use the xvba PA, as Trinity support wont make it into Frodo final?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-11-20

@haripi2:
No separate xvba-va-driver is needed, uninstall it - and choose XVBA for playback (Video Playback), disable VAAPI and VDPAU.

Yes - don't run xbmc from your desktop, rather use the lightdm session to start it directly.

On Intel it is a bit different:
DTS-HD will work for your i3, if you patch the kernel (not part of this howto). Pull out the HD4600 and use the core i3 and choose VAAPI disable VDPAU and XVBA.
@DeanM3:
No - as Trinity needs XVBA support, there will be a final release with all the xvba patches packaged by wsnipex - but not "official" from the xbmc.org download site of course. But yeah, without blaming "official", it does not make the better product, only cause it is called "official".

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - DeanM3 - 2012-11-21

Awesome. How do we donate directly to wsnipex?