Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - whoppr - 2012-12-31

I am doing a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 (Mythbuntu actually). I installed the latest Catalyst drivers (12.10) from scratch by downloading them from the AMD website. I believe they are installed correctly as I can play HD movies in XBMC fine. My TV by default clips the workspace and XBMC and in past I have made adjustments either in XBMC or using Catalyst Control Center.

I prefer to do this with Catalyst Control Center if I need to kill XBMC and use XFCE workspace. When I do try and scale it so I can see the entire Desktop and XBMC screen, it works for that session however on reboot it resets back to normal where I cannot see everything. When I go back into Control Center, it looks like the settings took but the scaling is wrong.

Has anyone seen/tried this? Any advice?

Thanks

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-12-31

via ssh:
Code:
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0
sudo aticonfig --sync-vsync=on
sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1
sudo service lightdm start

you will need all three to be happy, so I mentioned them here.

Set your TV to "just scan" mode (LG) or "Fit" (Samsung) this will make sure 1:1 Pixel Mapping.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - whoppr - 2012-12-31

I will try this. I think I already did but instead of lightdm start I just rebooted.

Why does lightdm have to be stopped? I noticed this in the yoursuchageek post as well so I did it as a precaution, but dont think I had done so in the past ..

Thanks again. I will try and repost

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2012-12-31

If you don't stop lightdm, amdpcsdb which is responsible for Under / Overscan just gets reset, when you restart your X session and therefore, we make sure to stop all X sessions. After it non working, please paste /etc/ati/amdpcsdb to paste.ubuntu.com

Thanks Fritsch. It did not work. I will paste the amdpcsdb. This is either operator error or a difference between Catalyst drivers. I believe on the last install they were 12.4 but would need to check.

Also I dont think my TV has a setting to disable Overscan. I looked in the past but never found it. Its a Mitsubishi

Thanks again

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - The Angry One - 2013-01-01

I have XBMC 12.0-RC2 Compiled: Dec 20 2012, on an ASROCK e350, with an NVIDIA video card. I have disabled all other audio devices in the BIOS.
I use ubuntu-x-swat and xbmc-unstable ppa.
This is all on a 12.04 32bit Ubuntu minimal install with lightdm.

All my audio and video is over NVidia HDMI.

What's my problem?
I can not get sound to work with zsnes being launched from Advanced Launcher, however,
Post #3 from this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=147022 allowed zsnes to have sound, but only when i stopped xbmc and started a new xsession with xinit /usr/bin/zsnes. I have read it before, and understand that XBMC is locking the sound card or something to that effect, but I can not figure out how to get around that.

I have NO .asoundrc file right now, I have tried several, but none work.
I have NO /etc/asound.conf, I have tried several, but none work.

And the weird thing is, none of the speaker tests work either, yet i have sound in movies and MP3's.
Code:
speaker-test -D hw:0,3
speaker-test -D hw:1,7
speaker-test -D plughw:0,3
speaker-test -D plughw:1,7

output of aplay -L

Quote:null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
PulseAudio Sound Server
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
HDA NVidia, HDMI 1
Hardware device with all software conversions

output of aplay -l

Quote:**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - un1versal - 2013-01-01

XBMC is hogging the audio device, so When you start your Znes you need to kill XBMC.

Usually a <streamsilence>0</Streamsilence> would work in AS but that is IIRC broken.

uNi

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - tutu - 2013-01-01

Is it safe to do a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade when updating xbmc? I've noticed a newer tested git build.

Edit: Updated anyway - still get the problem with video hanging after a minute. How do I report this issue?

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2013-01-01

@tutu:
Can you please try an OpenELEC installation? You can easily do this with two USB sticks. One Stick as Installer and the other one as Installation Target. Please install with the 2.95.5 version and afterwards upgrade it manually to 2.95.6.

OpenELEC uses the same XVBA code as the wsnipex ppa. With this test, we can see if it is a configuration issue.

Fusion Installation (only for E-Series):
http://releases.openelec.tv/OpenELEC-Fusion.x86_64-2.95.5.tar.bz2
http://releases.openelec.tv/OpenELEC-Fusion.x86_64-2.95.6.tar.bz2

Generic Installation (works on AMD, nvidia, and so on):
http://releases.openelec.tv/OpenELEC-Generic.i386-2.95.5.tar.bz2
http://releases.openelec.tv/OpenELEC-Generic.i386-2.95.6.tar.bz2

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - The Angry One - 2013-01-02

(2013-01-01, 03:43)uNiversal Wrote: XBMC is hogging the audio device, so When you start your Znes you need to kill XBMC.
That's currently what i'm doing and I consider this a messy workaround. I was wondering is it even possible to get XBMC to let go of the audio without killing it? Is this a problem everybody has, or is it more specific to hardware and/or versions of XBMC? Thanks!

(2013-01-01, 03:43)uNiversal Wrote: Usually a <streamsilence>0</Streamsilence> would work in AS but that is IIRC broken.

uNi

I don't understand what this means, could you elaborate please? What does AS stand for?
Thanks uNi!

EDIT: Nevermind, I did some reading and now I understand. AS is advancedsettings.xml and IIRC is release candidate 2. Am I correct? So I can just wait till it's fixed. Thanks for the help.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - un1versal - 2013-01-02

IIRC stands for = If I Remember Correctly. And AS.xml http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AudioEngine#Advanced_settings

uNi

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - morktral - 2013-01-04

Hi there,

I hope I don´t capture this thread but I´m having severe prblems installing the AMD drivers on my machine, maybe some of you guys can give me a lead.

I bought a Zotac AD06 with AMD 7340 HD installed, The configuration is as follwing:

Xubuntu 12.10 64 bit, XBMC Frodo RC3, (Both of them are working fine with the machine, sound via HDMI finally enabled). Mainly installed with the guide from here (as already mentioned in the first posting) yoursuchageek

But when I´m trying to install the AMD driver manuall or automatic I will only see the LInux Terminal login and can use XFCE any more. So I updated the kernel from 3.5.2 to 3.7.1 and tried again... But with the same outcome. Even the "repair procedure" mentioned Upubuntu doesn´t help.

Any Idea/thoughts/help is very much apreciated.

Thank you for your help!

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2013-01-04

@morktral:
The howto you linked is perfect. He has put a lot of work into it. Also the AD06 should work quite fine (Remeber to set UMA size to 512MB). As you are running Version 12.10 of Ubuntu - you are not allowed to install any other AMD driver despite the one ubuntu is shipping. There is no stable amd driver out there that handles 12.10 Quantal, which ships with xorg 1.13 - in this case stick with the "apt-get install fglrx" version.

The version numbers are a bit confusing:

Ubuntu 12.04 Precise use fglrx 12.10 from the AMD homepage and install as debian package (sudo sh amd-installerxyz..run --buildandinstallpkg).
Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal use fglrx 12.9 Quantal which can be easily installed by: sudo apt-get install fglrx.

If you get problems with the Quantal fglrx, report back - There is a possibility to downgrade the xorg 1.13 to the precise one and install fglrx 12.10

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - morktral - 2013-01-04

@fritsch:

Wow this was quick Smile
I set the UMA Size is set to 1 GB (as he mentioned in his Memorandum).

I tried "sudo apt-get install fglrx" already with the same outcome.

RE: Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD Radeon/Fusion and Nvidia GPUs - fritsch - 2013-01-04

Please join #xbmc-xvba - as we would make too much traffic for everyone :-)