Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - laric - 2013-06-03

How come there is no new tested build newer than 8 weeks? Is all focus on Frodo point releases now or has the development focus moved to Gotham? If so is the current 'testing' branch stable enough for day to day usage at the moment?

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-06-03

It is the time, the time and the time ...

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - laric - 2013-06-04

I can understand the lack of time. But how is the dev of Gotham going? Is it proceeding full steam ahead or is alot of resources being poured into 'fixing' Frodo? (Not that I mean in any way that fixing Frodo is wrong if there is a need.)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - nickr - 2013-06-04

Generally the work on fixing one can be contributed to the other.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-06-04

Basically build process of xvba-testing is going on automatically. As wsnipex and me did "only xvba" before we joined xbmc staff and other work came up, we had our testseries. Those were some 10 videos of different flavor, some audio files and so on. Before declaring a new xbmc-xvba packaged, we played those files, did some other stuff like suspending / switch fullscreen.

When all those tests were succesfull, e.g. no crashes, fluent playback - we declared it stable. If someone is volunteer to test the nightlies and care for a release every 2 weeks, you can help here.

It needs to be tested on vaapi (here gotham is a nobrainer - as mpeg2 is broken via ffmpeg), vdpau and xvba.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Ruxton - 2013-06-05

(2013-05-29, 08:23)fritsch Wrote: Upgrade howto (to be done via ssh as always) - if you don't have any catalyst installed, you won't be able to copy the old signature, so skip those steps.:
Code:
cp /etc/ati/signature ~/
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.zip
unzip amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.zip
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo apt-get install dh-make dh-modaliases execstack dkms linux-headers-`uname -r`
sudo sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-6-beta-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg
sudo dpkg -i --force-all fglrx_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-amdcccle_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-dev_13.101-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
sudo aticonfig --initial -f
sudo aticonfig --sync-vsync=on
sudp cp ~/signature /etc/ati/
sudo reboot

I updated to this from 12.8 and got slow menus, so I downgrade to 13.4, still got slow menus, back to 12.8 and things are how they were

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - wsnipex - 2013-06-05

you were saying what exactly?

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Orcie - 2013-06-06

It is not clear to me whether the new drivers (3.16) fix the vertical sync issues?

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-06-07

They do. First release since 6 months :-)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - francovilar - 2013-06-07

(2013-06-07, 18:31)fritsch Wrote: They do. First release since 6 months :-)

New recommendation for fresh install? Better performance?

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-06-07

Fresh install is for windows users. If everything works for you - keep what you have.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - ezechiel1917 - 2013-06-08

Hi, can someone please thoroughly explain whats the difference between dropped/skipped/missed in codec info screen?

I notice I have +1 skipped every ~3secs when playing Live HDTV @ 50 Hz (nvidia gtx660 - temporal/spatial - W fps goes down to 49.00 from 50.00 everytime this happens). Is it something I should worry about? I installed xvba-testing over xbmc-nightlies where it displayed codec info differently so I'm being curious. Had no actual issue regarding video frames with Live TV streams in xbmc-nightlies.

Thanks Ez

EDIT: only happens with VDPAU, sw decoding reports 0 in drop/skip/missed.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-06-08

missed: the video reference clock has missed an vblank event, this gets autocorrected and should not harm
dropped: the decoder has dropped a frame or just a deinterlacing cycle: happens when video gets late
skipped: renderer has skipped an already late frame in the queue, happens when renderer gets late

skipped was introduced with this merge window. I noticed this too when bringing up the codec screen. It does not skip otherwise, right?

There should be no difference in the codec screen itself between mainline and xvba-testing. Or were you referring to the different values?

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - ezechiel1917 - 2013-06-08

Thanks for explaining!

I just switched back to xbmc-nightlies to confirm skipped isue. Also tried different drivers (319.23, 313.30) with combinations of Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.04.
It happens in xvba-testing always no matter of other factors I've tried and related to deinterlacer. It might be something fixed after 0604 in xbmc-nightlies but that would be surprising.
There's nothing in debug log when this happens.

(2013-06-08, 13:10)FernetMenta Wrote: There should be no difference in the codec screen itself between mainline and xvba-testing. Or were you referring to the different values?
There's no difference in codec screen, you're right I just didn't notice skipped in mainline first because it stays at 0 there.

xbmc-nightlies ppa - 0607 skipped stays at 0 (W fps 50.00 all the time) - no issues

xvba-testing ppa - 0604 - increases +1 skipped every ~3secs (W fps 50.00, drop
If I use Half deinterlacers or Bob deinterlacer no frames are skipped (although reported W fps varies ~49.00-51.00 with Bob) All other deinterlacers add 1 skipped frame every 3 seconds

(2013-06-08, 13:10)FernetMenta Wrote: skipped was introduced with this merge window. I noticed this too when bringing up the codec screen. It does not skip otherwise, right?

Only when I use mentioned deinterlacers it regularly skips frames.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - john.cord - 2013-06-08

(2013-06-02, 12:58)nickr Wrote: Yes keep reporting. It is important. But a bug report may be more appropriate.

+1