Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-06-08

@ezechiel1917 do you observe skipped frames without the codec screen being displayed?

Would you see any skipped frames if you commented out this block? (looks slightly different in xvba-testing version)
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/527dfa5476a36ebed50f49949442dcecc39c61ac#commitcomment-3382929
If you don't compile yourself, don't worry.

Note that mainline vdpau only uses the minimum of 2 past and 1 future frames. This version uses 4 past and 2 futures for the advanced deinterlacing methods.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - ezechiel1917 - 2013-06-08

(2013-06-08, 13:40)FernetMenta Wrote: @ezechiel1917 do you observe skipped frames without the codec screen being displayed?

That's something I'm not really sure, it's hard to notice difference between 49/50 fps on regular programmes.

EDIT: Just switched to sports channel, and it's much easier to see it, it's there..
Unfortunately can't compile xbmc Sad

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-06-08

You could note the skipped counter, then close codec screen for a minute and look again if it has moved.
Nevertheless, I think I know why this happens and started discussion with the team.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - ezechiel1917 - 2013-06-08

Yup, skipped counter increases even when codec screen is closed. Good to know you think you've identified the culprint, because otherwise so far xvba-testing rendering (24fps,subtitles) is better than mainline. Cheers.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-06-08

I am not sure, that this is the same issue, as it should not drop at all during normal playback without OSD. Just to make sure, which "scaler" did you choose?

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-06-08

Could you post a debug log?

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - ezechiel1917 - 2013-06-09

there is nothing indicating skipped frames in debug log only in codec screen, scaler doesn't affect this isue.
only other difference I noticed between mainline which works ok is that mainline displays (pc: 1 - pattern correction?) in codec screen for affected deinterlacers
whereas xvba-testing displays pc: 2...

I guess it's related to:
(2013-06-08, 13:40)FernetMenta Wrote: Note that mainline vdpau only uses the minimum of 2 past and 1 future frames. This version uses 4 past and 2 futures for the advanced deinterlacing methods.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-06-09

pc (pullup correction). 2 means that it has detected a pattern (frame duration) of length 2 -> no uniform timestaps. Should be 1 as well. I am working on that atm.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - devil103 - 2013-06-09

hey all

i'm having an issue with the latest release on the wsnipex-testing branch;

I have no audio whatsoever on the new Audio Engine over HDMI.
Unfortunatly there is no fancy AV receiver. Just a single HDMI to the TV.

No fancy settings either; Passthrough is greyed out, Audio output device is set to the default setting of PulseAudio, no downmix, etc selected
Speaker Config set to 2.0

I'm running a standard ubuntu lts release (12.04.2) and Catalyst 12.10

I've attached a debug log of the boot sequence
http://paste.ubuntu.com/5748453/

Any tips?

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - wsnipex - 2013-06-09

Select HDMI as output device. If possible get rid of pulse audio.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - devil103 - 2013-06-09

Can't select hdmi as output device. Only hd ATI SB.
I also made sure nothing is muted in alsamixer...

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-06-09

"Press Left" and choose "Advanced" ... hint: new settings hierarchy.

Nope, i am already on advanced settings
Audio output is on hdmi but audio output device can be either hda ati sb or pulseaudio

EDIT:
I justed fixed this issue by enabling DTS & Dolby capable, then putting speakers to 7.1, then restarting lightdm.
Now, after doing the above in the audio settings panel the passthrough option is enabled and I'm able to select HD-Audio Generic, HDMI and the same goes for the Audio output device.

Now ever selecting these two I disabled the DTS and Dolby capable options and set speaker configuration back to 2.0

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-06-09

If in doubt:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio libasound2-plugins

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - handleunknown - 2013-06-11

(2013-05-29, 08:07)fritsch Wrote: Yes :-)

I know - forced that xbmc change since several months now. Please - everybody that can do, test this driver. Backup your old /etc/ati/signature so that you can overwrite the new one to remove the watermark.

If this driver is binary compatible to the one I was testing prior to release, all our xbmc problems should be "back to normal" now. Feedback is highly appreciated, best for now: Check for regressions. I will forward those directly to the AMD engineers.

Thoguht I'd pass some feedback after using 13.6 for a few days.

Advantages:
  • CPU reigned into control (no 100%/usage)
  • Not necessary to disable VIVO or add Level5.1 hack
  • No screen tearing w/ vsync

Disadvantages:
  • Seg fault every time when video finishes without fail
  • Menu's aren't as smooth as 12.8 (nitpicking)

It's a promising driver, roll on stable!