Kodi Community Forum
How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs (/showthread.php?tid=116996)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-07-23

Change your spekaer number to 2.0 please and retry.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - pshepherd - 2013-07-23

(2013-07-23, 10:57)fritsch Wrote: Change your spekaer number to 2.0 please and retry.

I have switched to testing and changed speaker from 2.1 to 2.0.

Tried playback of the same file and so far the sync is good after 'skipping', will check more tonight. Thanks for your help.

paul

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-07-24

AMD has released a new OpenGL 4.3 beta drivers. This driver has some fixes integrated relevant for us:

- Vertical Blank Sync disabled does not result in damn slow menus anymore
- CABAC=NO files are now displayed properly again

I tested some samples for now, which all worked, but did not do more testing in detail: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystOpenGL43BetaDriver.aspx

Upgrade howto (to be done via ssh as always) - if you don't have any catalyst installed, you won't be able to copy the old signature, so skip those steps.(remove fglrx-updates packages before you start):
Code:
cp /etc/ati/signature ~/
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/amd-catalyst-13.15.100.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
unzip amd-catalyst-13.15.100.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo apt-get install dh-make build-essential dh-modaliases libqtgui4 execstack dkms linux-headers-`uname -r`
sudo sh amd-catalyst-13.15.100.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip --buildpkg
sudo dpkg -i --force-all fglrx*.deb
sudo aticonfig --initial -f
sudo aticonfig --sync-vsync=on
sudp cp ~/signature /etc/ati/
sudo reboot

If you have underscan problems:
Code:
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0
sudo reboot

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Orcie - 2013-07-24

Good news! I will test when I have time this weekend!

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - Saner - 2013-07-24

(2013-07-23, 09:00)Saner Wrote: could anyone help me diagnose what my problem is.

If I use xvba-testing in the last few builds (since the New AE) I am having issues.

I get no sound, and I also have judder vision (14 FPS)

I am guessing its just my setup because nobody else has mentioned it :p

If someone can give me some pointers on what to look for that would be great.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=38945

Hmm I reset all the settings (moved ~/.xbmc elsewhere) and it seems fine with this mornings build.

so I dont know if something changed your end something was broken my end, I am guessing it was my end.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - laric - 2013-07-24

(2013-07-24, 08:32)fritsch Wrote: AMD has released a new OpenGL 4.3 beta drivers. This driver has some fixes integrated relevant for us:

I tested some samples for now, which all worked, but did not do more testing in detail: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystOpenGL43BetaDriver.aspx

The picture quality on some files went up to normal standard. However one major drawback on the new drivers. If i turn off my tv and come back later the picture is gone. It seems to stop output when the tv is turned off. I know of no way to 'start' the display again without a reset.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - MTroi - 2013-07-24

(2013-07-24, 08:32)fritsch Wrote: AMD has released a new OpenGL 4.3 beta drivers. This driver has some fixes integrated relevant for us:

Hey fritsch,
just tried the driver on my E-350 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS system, one CPU is always at 100% watching a 1080p movie, the other one was usually below 50%. The Movie was watchable, but the CPU was usually around 20% for both CPUs with the recommended driver.

PS: You got a "sudp" instead of "sudo" in your howTo guide for the latest driver update. Furthermore: "sudo sh amd-catalyst-13.15.100.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip --buildpkg" should be "sudo sh amd-catalyst-13.15.100.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg"

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-07-24

I did not see that issue when I tested this morning. Will recheck. ... new old new regressions would not really make me wonder :-(

Oki - i made some further tests. I could not reproduce the "Monitor does not turn back on, when it was switch off". I also saw a higher CPU load on one core. On my Testsystem (Zotac AD10) it was between 64 and 88% - so not nailed to 100%.

I will write the AMD folks about the findings.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - FernetMenta - 2013-07-24

AMD users really should sue this company for compensation for pain and suffering.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - laric - 2013-07-25

I think I am gonna try and stick a tiny nvidia 610 card into my a6 based htpc now. Giving up totally on the amd. Never a driver where it all just works. Every release makes something work and then introduce back already fixed bugs again. The machine I have with a 610 card in it works every time.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - deadite66 - 2013-07-25

So much has happened so quickly with the open source radeon driver dpm & uvd could be usable by the 3.11 kernel release.

it still has problems with some files and crashes but mostly plays everything i have on a e350.

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-07-25

Quote:I think I am gonna try and stick a tiny nvidia 610 card into my a6 based htpc now. Giving up totally on the amd. Never a driver where it all just works. Every release makes something work and then introduce back already fixed bugs again. The machine I have with a 610 card in it works every time.

I totally understand. Btw. we already have June - there won't be a 13.6 final driver.

@deadite66:
I am thinking into this direction, too. Currently I feel really sad to think about "dropping XVBA completely" after such a nice community came up and a whole lot was made working. But currently it looks like OSS + vdpau is the way to go. You can meet the devs in #radeon (Alex Deucher, Christian König) and talk with them directly about technical problems.

If you can create a howto on how to easily install and use radeon OSS / UVD from a standard Ubuntu System (kernel from Ubuntu mainline, relevant mesa (9.2 should have it) packages from a ppa, firmware files, libvdpau1) do not hessitate to start. While writing I see that not much is left :-)

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - wsnipex - 2013-07-25

(2013-07-25, 07:54)fritsch Wrote: While writing I see that not much is left :-)

like support for UVD <=2 Huh

Whatever route you go with AMD hardware, some users will always be left with unusable hw - way to go AMD!

RE: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs - fritsch - 2013-07-25

Yeah, I think so too. I will never buy hardware (anymore :-(), that lacks support of things I cannot do myself, like specific hw capabalities not exposed by driver and no exact plan when this support will come. Buy an ION-2 for cheap and get a whole lot more than AMD can give you even on newest hardware.

Think of an AMD A4, that has to do high bitrate mpeg2 decoding and deinterlacing. It competes worse to a ION-2 that just does it in hw ...